#1 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:25 am

Had a sense the little burgers had popped off....and there it was loose on top of the carbs.

Looking at the rubbers, its a very curious design as there is a lip where the clip fits. On the inside at this point the internal diameter changes....so they are kinda destined to come loose and fall off.

Another wondering, does it actually matter if they are loose? The weight of the tankety tank will hold em in place.

Getting new rubbers anyroad just wanderin is all.

Anyone found a replacement for the phirrips head clampmy things? I am wonderin about some kind of leverage clip or really wide jubbly clips.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2 Guest_mattspeedtriple_*

Guest_mattspeedtriple_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:49 pm

The standard clips are fine until the philips heads go so i normally remove said screw and replace it with an allen head one. Jubbly clips are ok but will cut into the rubber plus you`ll be far more inclined to over tighten them which causes the rubber to pop back off again as soon as you turn your back.

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:04 pm

Don't loike the design of these rubbers so intend on doing summat different to avoid them popping oft again.

Since I have a spare set of rock hard oldies oi plan on cutting off the carb connection part and making a new non-pop off connection.

Someone on ear made new rubbers from a milking parlour component, so if all else fails oil try dat.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 steveearwig

steveearwig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:59 pm

Mine have gone hard but I looked at the price of them (ohmy.gif) and decided to reuse the buggers. I also found one had popped off and sat like that going hard. As you say, it's an odd design that was bound to go wrong, the lip it clamps to on the carb is very narrow, plus the corresponding part of the rubber is also slim, above which it narrows. So not only does the rubber have few reasons to stay in place, the jubilee also has a chance to move upwards unseen while you're tightening it, forcing the rubber off.

As my bike is in many, many tiny bits still, I had them out of the air filter case, dumped a kettle full of hot water over them and used both jubilees on each, one to clamp and one to stop it trying to slide upwards. I left each like that a few days and them seem keener but I'm still worried they'll do it again once my back is turned mad.gif

I'm thinking of roughing up the lip on the carb (swarf's up dude!) and maybe wrapping insulting tape round the rubber so the jubilee has nowhere to go. If that doesn't work I'll think about gluing the buggers on with something that won't set completely hard (no idea what that is though hidden.gif )
3VD006578 - it's alive!!

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:00 pm

MEGA.

Fixed rubbers by modding an old set. All that was needed is 2.5cm of 60mm silicone hose. It grips loike a badger to a carrot even without any clips.

Details to follow once my backdoor trojan is gone. :-P

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:28 pm

Blimey ! You still got that thing on yer pc ? Must be a month or more, I mean how much invasion can a backdoor take blink.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:06 pm

After jumping through alot of hoops i were advised to reformat and reinstall, change all passwords, cancel bank cards n'all that. A back door trojan sure is irritating.

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:30 pm

Roight so this is fur a mkI.

The problem is the poor shape of the airbox rubbers. They donut sit flat on the carb lip. The rubber is tapered and the clip is pants and is able to ride RIGGHHHHT UP on the rubber whenst you try and install. Actually Steve already said all that so look at his post ooop there ^^^ for a more eloquent description.

The airbox naturally rocks with the enjun running (take the tank off, start boike and watch it. No wonder they pop off. Certainly a new set of rubbers would give you enough grip for them to stay on but fur how long and that doesn't solve the pants design (and price). So:

I gots me some 60mm internal diameter silicon tooob.

Cut me a coupla 2.5Cm edit: ta Steve again sections off (one fur each rubber). I found a band saw to give the the cleanest cut. If ya dunnae have access to wan then put a jublee clip round the toob where you want it cut and then work round with a nice sharp blade..........WATCH YER FLINGERS!!!!!! Else a cardboard tube inside the tube and a hacksaw maybe?

Then oi cut the existing mullered rock 'ard rubbers as shown below:

Attached File  airbox_rub1.JPG   119.86KB   142 downloads
http://www.carpe-tdm...-1279297081.jpg

Next oi used silicon adheeeesive to stick on the 2.5Cm edit: ta WiCkY replacement section. Did it really need glueing in place?...mayhap snot.

Here's one I made earlier:

Attached File  airbox_rub2.JPG   74.85KB   175 downloads
http://www.carpe-tdm...-1279297216.jpg

The new wan is a likkle taller...cous 2.5Cm edit: ta Steve was on the generous side to give us a likkle squish whenst fitting.

Since the phirrips clamps are a pain and the clip rides up oi decided instead of lobbing it in the bin, to move the thing to the top of the silicon tube for extra clampability and to stop the new lower hex headed jubbly clip from drifting up (not that it should now it has flat pipe on the carb lip.

That left me ear:

Attached File  airbox_rub3.JPG   58.92KB   157 downloads
http://www.carpe-tdm...-1279297706.jpg

All thats left now is to fit em on, clamp em down and rag hard on the airbox to see if they pop.

Attached File  airbox_rub4.JPG   82.97KB   113 downloads
http://www.carpe-tdm...-1279297779.jpg

I ragged hard enough on the airbox to start to worry about the inlet to carb rubbers coming off...at which point oi stopped and concluded....THE JOBS A CARROT.

#9 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:16 pm

Dappers you sure you were'nt on Blue Peter in a former life laugh.gif Very ingenious m8, hope it stays on, nice one

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#10 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:20 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Fri 16th Jul 2010, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THE JOBS A CARROT CAKE.

MMMmmmm

#11 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:38 pm

good job agent Dappers.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:13 pm

Nice Wan smile.gif

Did it put a stop to the 'clamp riding up when tightening' problem ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#13 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:43 pm

Yup there ain't not nowhere ferret to go...and because the two surfaces are parallel (not inline) smile.gif .....rather than a f(l)at lip and flat clip vs tapered rubber it don't try to squidge arf anyroad.

#14 steveearwig

steveearwig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:13 am

Elegantly simple, me likey biggrin.gif

Just one thing, 2.5mm and 2.5cm? Don't meddle with things nobody understands - Call it an INCH!!! tongue.gif
3VD006578 - it's alive!!

#15 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:17 am

Thanks Steve, also just noticed I got yersen and Dicky mixed ooop. Its the old boike photos what did it.

#16 steveearwig

steveearwig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:48 am

's ok, I've often been mixed up hidden.gif

Errrr, you missed one tongue.gif Isn't this sort of thing that caused that Mars probe to disappear off into space? Hope your bike doesn't do the same...
3VD006578 - it's alive!!

#17 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:42 am

Woohoo I made alorra errors and managed to completly miss learning from my mistakes. Thanks Steve.

Yup there was some confuzzling in units of measurement in some of the programs.......though if that sends me mkI to space oim up ferret.

#18 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:54 am

Took the tank off today as the list of underneath tinkerings had got big enough, the rubbers are still completely solid.

#19 haffi

haffi

seems to like Carpe

• 75 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:01 pm

nice one this is! will be sure to use it when (if) the bike comes together again smile.gif

#20 Whippet

Whippet

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:17 am

Just completed Dappers mod and can vouch for it's superior quality compared to ageing Yamaha rubbers. The airbox now sits nice and firm on top of the carbs and I didn't even feel the need to clamp it up with jubilee clips - the fit really is that good. If you're considering replacing the rubbers, save yerself some money! Dappers now has a new title - moneysavingexpert! well done that man banana.gif good.gif
TPLQHCSRSFC No.2 Fan!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users