30 replies to this topic

#21 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:11 pm

Even cheaper and apparently UK dispatch - https://www.ebay.co....ed/151998917265

Might get one for that price just to mess about with.  You can also get ones with hall sensors to work off the shift lever with a magnet for a tenner, but they are very hit and miss apparently.

#22 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:59 pm

Even cheaper and apparently UK dispatch - https://www.ebay.co....ed/151998917265

Might get one for that price just to mess about with.  You can also get ones with hall sensors to work off the shift lever with a magnet for a tenner, but they are very hit and miss apparently.

Probably impossible to make it yourself for less !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#23 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:40 pm

Probably impossible to make it yourself for less !

I know it's crazy isn't it.  Even buying all the components from China would still probably come in more expensive.

Not sure what quality will be like, but when you can replace it multiple times over for the cost of a few beers it's certainly worth a punt.

#24 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:14 pm

So I've started this mod today and done all the hard work but now run into an issue someone might be able to help me with 

With all connections made I'm testing and parts of the display not lighting up on gears 1 and 2
If I disconnect the White wire (original wire) you can see in the pic and test all gears work fine
I remember reading something about that wire on here that it can be disconnected, can anyone confirm ?

Discussion I remember is here http://www.carpe-tdm...ine#entry342315

Your thoughts greatly appreciated especially those who were in that discussion :)

Attached Files

Edited by JMC, 17 February 2019 - 09:38 pm.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#25 TDM911

TDM911

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:54 pm

Nekem ilyen:

Attached Files

#26 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:10 am

So I've started this mod today and done all the hard work but now run into an issue someone might be able to help me with 

With all connections made I'm testing and parts of the display not lighting up on gears 1 and 2
If I disconnect the White wire (original wire) you can see in the pic and test all gears work fine
I remember reading something about that wire on here that it can be disconnected, can anyone confirm ?

Discussion I remember is here http://www.carpe-tdm...ine#entry342315

Your thoughts greatly appreciated especially those who were in that discussion :)

Just remove the original white and green/white wires.   :)

More infos : http://www.tdm-yamah...t.org/?page=GID

Last trick : in case you have color wires available, use color coding to avoid confusion :

0/neutral-black

1-brown

2-red

3-orange

4-yellow

5-green

6-blue

Update : removing the speed sensor on the 900 will give a dash error code after several minutes riding.

This error will disappear automatically after several minutes in case you reconnect the sensor.

Edited by JBX, 18 February 2019 - 12:20 am.

top_640.png

#27 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:58 am

Thanks JBX :)

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#28 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:41 pm

All done and working nicely :)
Thanks for the help I've loads of pics taken so will upload when I get a chance

Attached Files

Hunter S. Thompson.

#29 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:06 pm

The first pic is what I started with, so I removed the green and white wires (on gear 1 & 2 pins) and bought some 7 core wire from a motor factors

As you can see from the wired pic I also connected a wire to the Neutral so my indicator would show 0 when in Neutral

I removed the red switch from the housing of an aux light switch to use it as a housing for the display

Buying the ready made display from ebay made this job really simple it just takes a bit of time to run wires and get everything fitted but overall I'm really happy with it and I recon every bike should have this feature :)

Been using the bike every day for about a week and no issues at all, just remember to solder correctly and fasten wires so they cant move and loosen with vibration and it's an easy job for anyone :D

Attached Files

Edited by JMC, 26 February 2019 - 12:08 pm.

Hunter S. Thompson.

#30 WayneUK

WayneUK

sticking around

• 29 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:25 am

I found this housing for the gear indicator https://www.ebay.co....5.c100008.m2219

#31 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:40 am

I found this housing for the gear indicator https://www.ebay.co....5.c100008.m2219

Yep I saw that a few days ago, a bit too late for me  :lol:

But yes a good way to make it look like more of a professional job, I'll leave mine as it is as it's a good topic of discussion when people ask how it was done ;)

Hunter S. Thompson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users