• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Coopz

Coopz

sticking around

• 27 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 15 November 2022 - 10:45 pm

Hi everyone I just traded my Versys 650 for a 2008 TDM. So far I really like the bike, nice power band, handling and comfortable riding position. I was planning on doing a 3000+k round trip in February. The bike has 34k on the clock so I thought I would get its major service done the month before I leave. Had 2 quotes from the local Yamaha dealers, one was $950, the other was 'around $1100 if the rocker cover and gasket need replacing' that's about 700+euros. Just seems a lot of money for a basic, naked, 2 cylinder bike? Or is this normal? I'm a bit time poor and generally try and avoid doing big mechanical jobs, I'm OK with fluids, brakes, filters and forks but big jobs scare me off. I helped a mate do his Bandit 1250 major service a few months ago and it was not a fun exercise..

Edited by Coopz, 15 November 2022 - 10:49 pm.

#2 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,084 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 16 November 2022 - 10:27 am

The shim check does cost a bit at a dealership, as you need a shim kit. Cams have to come out as shims are under buckets. Where in the UK are you perhaps one of the experienced club members can help.

Edited by leehenty, 17 November 2022 - 12:08 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#3 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts

Posted 16 November 2022 - 11:00 am

Quoted dollars so assume you're outside the UK. You could always do the rest of the service yourself to keep the cost down. Maybe even measure the clearances to if they need shims. If not confident enough yourself and no friends to help then you'll have to get the Card out.
As Lee says the valve check is the expensive bit.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 November 2022 - 09:52 am

Quoted dollars so assume you're outside the UK. You could always do the rest of the service yourself to keep the cost down. Maybe even measure the clearances to if they need shims. If not confident enough yourself and no friends to help then you'll have to get the Card out.
As Lee says the valve check is the expensive bit.

Good point about the checking clearances being easier than shim swapping.

You never know, you might not even need to swap any shims.

You need to remove the rocker cover, which involves removing the water pipe from the top of the head, if it isn't seized in place then the job is simple enough

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,084 posts

Posted 21 November 2022 - 10:11 am

Tip squirt the water pipe cap screw with plenty of monkey juice. If it pulls the thread out it can be a right pita to fix
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users