* * * * * 2 votes

Tds Mk1 Rebuild Thread

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#141 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:56 pm

Never quite got my head round why anybody gives a figure at the crank or at the gearbox sprocket for that matter - what use are they?

Its not as though the end of the crank or the gearbox sprocket is digging into the road and pushing you along
I reckon its just to massage owners ego's by giving them bigger numbers

And they've not even measure it at the crank - all they've done is use a std uplift % figure, & added it to the value obtained at the rear wheel

Edited by GuyGraham, 11 February 2010 - 06:41 pm.

#142 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:07 pm

dunno.gif i thought it was just 3 different runs
he did a load of runs for me coz i kept wanting to see the fuel/air mix as it went thru the range
either way she runs sweet as......had a very happy cliff on the phone a while ago, he enjoyed his run home
"she creeps up to the ton easy" laugh.gif

ps. i've had a few requests to do how-to's on fuel heights and carb balancing, my TDM is due a service soon so will do them then

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#143 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:22 pm

and final photos

and i think that about does this thread good.gif
thanks for watching, ta-ra

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#144 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:36 pm

Cheers Tony, really enjoyed that apart from the splitting up bit ohmy.gif

Edited by Dannyboy, 13 February 2010 - 01:21 pm.

#145 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,777 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:19 pm

rotflmmfao.gif ah i'm coming back to oxford in the morning ya fecker, i hope there's no rozzers looking at that "wanted" poster else i'm well knicked blink.gif

Anyway Tony as i said m8 it was a blinding run back home.......luv this baby she just keeps on pulling (my kind a gal) such an easy and laid back ride, see what ya mean, i could do some serious milage on her......unlike me zed.......but thats more an age issue huh.gif she purrs like a pussycat, well done m8 a job well done.
Only problem was the cold, i hung me lid on me nipples during me fag stop. Oh got caught short on the reserve.......bloody hell not much notice is there rotflmmfao.gif so i had a quick pit stop on the hard shoulder and was off again sharpish.

Thanks for the coffee supply and all the bits and bobs ya threw in Tony, i;m sure i forgotten everthing ya told me about the bike help.gif in me excitement.
Could of chin wagged all day as well......next time eh, and save that bottle of Slivovica......it should only be enjoyed with somebody who really likes it, and that's me.

Okay it was great to meet Tony folks, stand up chap, and has a good supply of whisky wub.gif

Tony please dont put that photo of me and bigred on your bathroom wall with the rest of them though m8 rotflmmfao.gif i want to keep this good opinion of ya.

Signing of. cheers Tony ta much m8, luv her.

PS that foto aint bad for a 65 year old eh.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#146 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:07 pm

QUOTE(dablik @ Thu 11th Feb 2010, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
......and has a good supply of whisky wub.gif
putting a dent in the highland park as i type drinks.gif

Tony please dont put that photo of me and bigred on your bathroom wall with the rest of them though m8 rotflmmfao.gif
lol thats the calender ya dozy feck laugh.gif

rotflmmfao.gif thats the combined age of you and the bike aint it?

My TDM :

#147 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:49 pm

rotflmmfao.gif ah i'm coming back to oxford in the morning ya fecker, i hope there's no rozzers looking at that "wanted" poster else i'm well knicked blink.gif

Anyway Tony as i said m8 it was a blinding run back home.......luv this baby she just keeps on pulling (my kind a gal) such an easy and laid back ride, see what ya mean, i could do some serious milage on her......unlike me zed.......but thats more an age issue huh.gif she purrs like a pussycat, well done m8 a job well done.
Only problem was the cold, i hung me lid on me nipples during me fag stop. Oh got caught short on the reserve.......bloody hell not much notice is there rotflmmfao.gif so i had a quick pit stop on the hard shoulder and was off again sharpish.

Thanks for the coffee supply and all the bits and bobs ya threw in Tony, i;m sure i forgotten everthing ya told me about the bike help.gif in me excitement.
Could of chin wagged all day as well......next time eh, and save that bottle of Slivovica......it should only be enjoyed with somebody who really likes it, and that's me.

Okay it was great to meet Tony folks, stand up chap, and has a good supply of whisky wub.gif

Tony please dont put that photo of me and bigred on your bathroom wall with the rest of them though m8 rotflmmfao.gif i want to keep this good opinion of ya.

Signing of. cheers Tony ta much m8, luv her.

Yer right on there - ever stand in as a double for Uncle Albert?

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#148 dablik

dablik

• 10,777 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:08 pm

uhmyeah.gif right, that's two names in me TDM bad book already an i only had her for 10 hours rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#149 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:14 pm

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#150 Guest_RSROCKET_*

Guest_RSROCKET_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:30 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Thu 11th Feb 2010, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well done Tony re the bike(and the Highland park) excellent build and good luck wi the bike Chris .

Dandy I have rights on the original!!!

This my mate Willie at Loch Etive, all the best son.

#151 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:31 am

QUOTE(Dannyboy @ Thu 11th Feb 2010, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheers Chris, really enjoyed that apart from the splitting up bit ohmy.gif
QUOTE(RSROCKET @ Thu 11th Feb 2010, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well done Tony re the bike(and the Highland park) excellent build and good luck wi the bike Chris .

erm.....to stop the confusion, my name is Tony, my ex-GFs name is Kris and the new bike owner is Cliff good.gif

QUOTE(dablik @ Thu 11th Feb 2010, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
uhmyeah.gif right, that's two names in me TDM bad book already an i only had her for 10 hours rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Thu 11th Feb 2010, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rotflmmfao.gif

My TDM :

#152 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,226 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:32 am

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Fri 12th Feb 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
erm.....to stop the confusion, my name is Tony, my ex-GFs name is Kris and the new bike owner is Cliff good.gif
laugh.gif

rotflmmfao.gif

Sooooo, who's the one that lives in Highland Park then ? tongue.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#153 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:34 am

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Fri 12th Feb 2010, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sooooo, who's the one that lives in Highland Park then ? tongue.gif

would it be wrong if i said a tasty 12year old?

My TDM :

#154 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,226 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:45 am

rotflmmfao.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#155 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• 3,312 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:11 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Fri 12th Feb 2010, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
would it be wrong if i said a tasty 12year old?

So wrong .................... Got his number? hide.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carpe-TDM.net - A place where everyone can have their cake and eat it!!!!!

TDM900/A 2007 Black, DL650 XTZ1200 Super Ten Handguards, Oxford Heated Grips, Double Bubble Screen, Fenda Extenda, Pipe Werx Oval Black SL Zorsts, R+G Crash Bungs, Mirror Extenders, Wilbers Rear Shock with Remote Hydraulic Preload, Wilbers Progressive Fork Springs, Scottoiler Touring Kit, Clear LED Rear Light Unit, Clear Indicators, PUIG Bellypan, V46 + 2 x E41 Keyless Luggage, Black Renthal 755 Medium Road Bars with Brace, 3 x 12v Accessory Socket, Beowolf Rad Guard.

TDM has moved on, i now own a Black 2009 Honda VFR 800 VTEC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without cake, we are merely just people who ride bikes

#156 dablik

dablik

• 10,777 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:17 pm

rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif

Handsome Chap tongue.gif

#157 idlebloke

idlebloke

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:37 pm

Just came across this thread while searching for help with my issues.

Will have to keep this as possible encouragement for when I start the proper work on mine.

Well done, beautiful job. Sorry you had to let it go.....and well done to Cliff for getting a blinding bike. Just wish I had been around earlier in the year!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users