139 replies to this topic

#101 richierex

richierex

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 166 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:20 pm

Probably a Hagon shock.  OEM shock springs ar either black or yellow.

not true, the 900 also has red or silver depending on year, mine is 2008 and the spring is red.

#102 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:30 pm

But, if you read the post prior to mine, you'll notice the member has an 850.  We were talking about 850 shocks not 9'er ones.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#103 jeffersonchristopher

jeffersonchristopher

discovering Carpe

• 15 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:32 pm

Just refreshing the the thread lads! Hope you're all well?

Just bought a 5jj r1 shock to replace my 3vd one. I'm going to fit a stiffer spring to it, can anyone tell me what the spring rate/weight is on a standard tdm please?
Going to order a new spring from demon tweeks and I'm not sure what rate to fit...

Thanks in advance!

Chris.

#104 jeffersonchristopher

jeffersonchristopher

discovering Carpe

• 15 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:21 pm

1200lb in case anyone was interested. Cheers!

#105 Andy3VD850

Andy3VD850

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:25 pm

Hi guys, through research ive found out that the length of a 900 shock is 325mm and 850 is 300mm? Can anyone confirm if it would be possible to fit the 900 shock to my 850 considering the 25mm difference in the length? And is there anything else i would need to bare in mind? (My view of it is that my 850 would sit a little bit higher with the slightly longer shock) thanks guys

#106 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:00 pm

I'm no expert in suspenders but I would imagine you'd find it difficult/impossible to set the suspension up.  You might also have difficulty fitting it to your bike as the mounts are different.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#107 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:24 am

Yeah it is longer but unless you have little legs it shouldnt make that much diffrence good.gif

I'd have a problem trusting a manufacturer that for some strange reason finds out they will modify the standard height.
Also, my gf's former CB500 had hagon shocks on - total, utter crap. 

Has anyone actually compared new Hagon shocks to new OEM shocks and noticed an improvement ? Or are they just meant as cheap replacement parts .....?

Bjørge

#108 Got1now

Got1now

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:43 pm

I contacted Hagon to see if they could suggest if a shock from another bike would fit my MK2.

My thoughts were that good, used, shocks for a TDM come up so rarely, that it was worth investigating to see if it was worth looking at other bikes' shocks as a possible replacement........this is what they said......

'There is a big range of data that has to come together for a monoshock to both be correct and importantly safe, and if this combination is shared by two or even three motorcycles they will be the same part number as the example below.
M62046 YAMAHA FZS600 98<, XJ900S 94<, XVS1100/A

The above is quite unusual... as far as we are aware only the two versions of 850TDM is useable.'

So, it looks like fitting a shock from any other bike (even from a 900 TDM wouldn't be worth the effort, plus, any alterations to the suspension could cause problems with handling, and safety...........of course, it's your choice as to what you decide, but I suspect the time and effort of fitting the shock intended for another bike may not be worthwhile.

Edited by Got1now, 17 March 2017 - 02:43 pm.

#109 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:57 pm

Does that important range of data include measures like say the height. Lolzio.

TDM has a lot of uppy downy. Many have tried ... And failed to fit various udder boike shocks to TDM. Trying to think of an attempt that worked .... Erm no cant remember any. :-)
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#110 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:27 pm

While it's unlikely i'll buy a Hagon the one (long) that came along with Bigred when i bought her did sterling service on my shenanigans abroad fully loaded, and since i sold the mk1 the same shock is still doing service under aircooled 68's big fat arse  :D mind dont think he's done a 1000 miles onnit since then.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#111 Keith271

Keith271

arrived on last train

• 3 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:50 pm

Apologies as I am sure this has been asked many times already.....

Does anyone know if there is an alternative shock from a different bike / model that will fit my Mk1 TDM 850?

#112 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:03 pm

Yes it has, no there isn't. :)

#113 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:23 pm

Just sploshed for an M shock, was a toss up between that and a Nitro, cant see much difference meself so went for a saving, gotta be a bit better than a Hagon ! oder  :D

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#114 Leezo9R

Leezo9R

arrived on last train

• 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:45 am

Ahh...Does anyone have a stock rear shock they would be willing to sell...My dear old 1991 3vd is in need of one...Its my winter/work hack so last resort would be a new new ..but the kids would have to go without food for a week...and im tight ..Tarrverrymuch 

#115 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:59 am

Hello dare.

It's prolly worth putting an add in the "wanted" section.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#116 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:53 pm

Starve the kids matey....

#117 the969

the969

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:32 pm

So the 850 I've picked up on the cheap (£1200, only 11k miles and HPI clear but a bit tatty) had one outstanding feature, in every sense....

It's been brutally lowered, fore and aft. What looks like around a third of the rear spring was handed to me in a box on purchase. It looks like this actually sits above the in situ yellow spring.  The forks have been brought through the yoke accordingly.  It looks preposterous, like a lowrider and the full system - which looks like it may have been a Remus - adds to this impression with the racket which is borderline offensive. All that's missing are the ape hangers (and tassles).....

The really weird part is that it actually handles pretty good, you can sling it around, but the aesthetics are obviously an issue. Is it worth just reinstalling the stuff in the box, or should I look aftermarket? Another option would be to refurb the in situ shock and then put the whole shooting match back together.  I've never had a bike where the rear spring could simply be divided. Apparently this was the standard lowering procedure  :dunno:  

#118 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:38 am

Well assuming a genuine 11k then you have a little bit of life left in the shock i suppose but, imo aftermarket shock usually an upgrade anyway and better (more expensive also) than a refurb, i like M Shock,other choices available, be careful of Hagon they can be an inch higher so you could end up the other extreme, had a tall Hagon on an old mk1 and i loved it.

If you search around the site fixitsan posted info of a shock refurb place in Scotland for the oem.

#119 the969

the969

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:08 am

snapback.png

Well assuming a genuine 11k then you have a little bit of life left in the shock i suppose but, imo aftermarket shock usually an upgrade anyway and better (more expensive also) than a refurb, i like M Shock,other choices available, be careful of Hagon they can be an inch higher so you could end up the other extreme, had a tall Hagon on an old mk1 and i loved it.

If you search around the site fixitsan posted info of a shock refurb place in Scotland for the oem.

I can get them refurbed down here (SW),  quite a few workshops will strip and regas etc etc.  And depending on the OEM quality that can be a very good call vs new aftermarket stuff.  

The real oddity (to me anyway) is the two stage spring. I'm guessing OEM replacements ditch all that?    .And  amazingly the mileage does correspond with the MOT history, but even if it were box fresh it would still need regassing after 20 tears.

Edited by the969, 29 May 2019 - 11:09 am.

#120 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:07 pm

Well i'm quite sure many of our members have/are happy with the oem shock, maybe i prefer aftermarket cos i'm a lardy bugger and of course that means buying for personal preferance in terms of weight/luggage/pillion set up, aftermarket are not split spring either, if you have it refurb'd and dont like it i expect you'll return your money by moving it on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users