7 replies to this topic

#1 aytcat1

aytcat1

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:39 am

After buying a OM exhaust for the TDM 850 back in 2009 on Ebay for £65  never used only with a slight dent,it has now rotted through at the downpipe end into the collector box. I have thought about getting a Y divider made up but after making enquiries i have been quoted £100-£120. Now knowing from past experience the spot welds go after a few months as well, i have now decided to go for a Delkavic 350mm for £125.I went on Youtube and came across some G&G exhausts from Netherlands amazing sound etc but found out there £280 :( to much for me, though there a lot cheaper than Yamaha http://www.yamahascooterspares.co.uk/product/yamaha/4TX147104200/muffler%20assy%201?uid=0  If the system lasted for 80k i could understand the price but when they only last 25K or 3 years riding for me that's crap.

I think with this Delkavic exhaust i will have to creep out of the village at 7am in a higher gear as possible to stop neighbours complaining,

Any body got any sort of info on these exhausts, web site say they sound deep tone  but im not so sure and are they loud though there road legal?

#2 Wildbill

Wildbill

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:54 pm

I have just fitted the 2>1 system but with the 450 mm can.

The can appears well made and the polished finish is very good but the whole system is very light;so much so that when delivered ,I thought that it was only the can in the box.

There is a db killer that is easilly removed,I swapped out the cheesy fixing to a proper s/s cap screw.

The can is not overloud with the baffle fitted;it is at its loudest when initially started then seems to settle which is quite strange.

There is a liitle blowby past the rivits after a run but that will carbon up over time.

The "delkevic" logo is not a proper badge as such;more  some sort of decal or perhaps printed on the can;it would be doubtfull if it would last a winters riding.

The clamp is not particularly heavy duty.

The mounting strap is a generic item,take care when fitting and it will follow the oval contour well and fit securely

Replace the cheap 8mm allen head bolt with a propper cap screw and s/s washer.

I went out today and removed the db killer mid ride;I reinstalled it after 5 miles as I disliked the tone and the engine was not as responsive.

With the baffle fitted , I would describe it as a bark. It doesnt seem that loud untill 4/5 K plus.003_zpsf30664d8.jpg

Don't come preaching to me;you'll get chased down the road wiff a pitchfork.

#3 aytcat1

aytcat1

has been here 4ever

• 1,093 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:41 pm

Thanks for all that info and photo,the exhaust arrives Tuesday so will hopefully have it fitted that evening.With the old one off i am going to have a closer look at the rot on the downpipe connection, at the moment it is held together with exhaust clamps and Gum Gum.

#4 aytcat1

aytcat1

has been here 4ever

• 1,093 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:36 pm

Well the Delkevic is fitted, sounds brill so really pleased,one problem i did have was tightening the downpipe clamp though it is as tight as it goes it does move(rotate)slightly but it seals ok.Will check it out again after a few rides if still the same will fit a beefier clamp on,I also greased the bolt threads etc with Belray LM High Temp waterproof grease.

#5 Wildbill

Wildbill

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:58 pm

Did your link pipe come with two composite gaskets?
I could only fit one on mine;the slots in the end of the link pipe interlocked with ribs on the headers.I think one is meant as a spare.Forgot to say;the full system comes with copper cylinder gaskets.
Like I stated the clamps/bolts are a bit femmer!
Hope you tidied your headers when you had the chance.
How are your headers fixed ?

Seems unable to add image in any shape or form now. !!!!

Edited by Wildbill, 03 September 2013 - 07:01 pm.

#6 aytcat1

aytcat1

has been here 4ever

• 1,093 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:33 am

Yea end can came with two compo gaskets but only used one as the norm,I was not sure if to fit that other aswell.When i put the end can on i pushed the link pipe right up as far it would go into the can.I didnt think that the link pipe slots fitted into ribs on the down pipe to stop rotation.Doah!Fix that later after work.My headers are bit of a state due to living out in the sticks with the country roads though there stainless steel. The strap round the end can will need to be disconected again as that really grips the can which makes adjustment slightly awkward.

What i did notice was the amount of road crap etc at the back of  the engine which i couldn't see with the OM exhaust on.

#7 Wildbill

Wildbill

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:35 am

I have the Delkevic headers;yours might not have the ribs.

025_zpsf1886f43.jpg

Did you wake the neighbours ?.  :punishment:

#8 aytcat1

aytcat1

has been here 4ever

• 1,093 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:32 pm

I fitted the link pipe all ok,cant remember the company that made my pipes there is two long weld  seams at the end of the downpipes but the link pipe wasnt in the right position when i fitted it in the slots and when the end can was back on so i took the gasket out and used the spare and it all tightened up solid so all is ok.Just need to realign the end can it's not quite vertical but may not bother with that.

No didnt wake the village up in the morning :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Exhaust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users