#1 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:59 pm

I have decided to buy a sleeping bag for the trip. Not sure what the lodgings will bring and so a sleeping bag is a small price,,,to pay

So forum. What's a good one? Went into Halturds recently and they had a 1/2 decent range. I know JHT v Haturds = puke.gif but I have had some good stuff from them. Want something that will keep me covered, im 6' x 6'. laugh.gif but needs to go on the front rack on the Tenere too, so not too big.

Any Thoughts?
I will be taking my pillow with me as well (not blankie) As this pillow is darn good for sleeping.

dry.gif Could I get a 42" plasma on there too?

#2 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:18 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Tue 20th May 2008, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have decided to buy a sleeping bag for the trip. Not sure what the lodgings will bring and so a sleeping bag is a small price,,,to pay

So forum. What's a good one? Went into Halturds recently and they had a 1/2 decent range. I know JHT v Haturds = puke.gif but I have had some good stuff from them. Want something that will keep me covered, im 6' x 6'. laugh.gif but needs to go on the front rack on the Tenere too, so not too big.

Any Thoughts?
I will be taking my pillow with me as well (not blankie) As this pillow is darn good for sleeping.
dry.gif Could I get a 42" plasma on there too?

If you want warmth I would advise Coleman Fiberfill II or Down... (Fiberfill packs up smaller than down and is still warm if wet)
When dry down is warmer but it has a moisture-wicking property.
If you just want summer/portable bed linens, any old bag will do.
(a hunk of plastic sheet for a ground-cloth no matter what you choose.)
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#3 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:35 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Tue 20th May 2008, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you want warmth I would advise Coleman Fiberfill II or Down... (Fiberfill packs up smaller than down and is still warm if wet)
When dry down is warmer but it has a moisture-wicking property.
If you just want summer/portable bed linens, any old bag will do.
(a hunk of plastic sheet for a ground-cloth no matter what you choose.)

do a search, tks 850

#4 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:08 pm

If you want proper kit Cotswold camping in Reading stock a good range of kit and aren't too far from you. Alternatively Field and Trek in Guildford are well stocked but a bit smaller.

I use a one of these which has done me well in horrible winter weather and isn't too bad up to relatively warm temperatures, in a compression sack it's about a cubic foot. I've also got a much thinner 2 season which pack to half the size and is fine for indoor use but you need to leave a T-shirt on for outdoor use in all but the warmest summers.

Down will always pack smaller than fibre, but tends to be more expensive. Compression sacks will make it a lot smaller bundle to carry but usually make it a shorter cylinder rather narrower cylinder if you see what I mean.

Milletts and Blacks will stock a basic range too.

Edited by ChrisG, 20 May 2008 - 10:16 pm.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:21 pm

As an ex Royal Green Jacket I would agree with Chris. Waterproof compression sack is a must. I would say that if you are staying in doors dont spend a lot of £££ on a 3-4 season bag as most guest houses are heated and you wont need the added tog values. How ever as a man who has camped out doors at up to minus 50 this is the area you will lie in your maggot thinking I wish I had spent a few more squid on me bag as your breath starts to feeze in your nostrils. Horses for courses, have a think how you will be spending your nights and pick your maggot accordingly.
Most important is to keep your sleeping bag dry!! Second is put your sleeping bag on some form of insulation if you are out doors!!
Happy camping rolleyes.gif

#6 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:34 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Tue 20th May 2008, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Down will always pack smaller than fibre,

sorry.gif I had it backwards.... blush.gif

When I went out with my fiberfill I bungee-netted it to the seat just behind the small of my back (on the pillion section)

makes a nice kidney support on 500 mile days. yahoo.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#7 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:12 pm

Shit guys! Loads of choice now

I was thinking: Martin pissed, falls into bag. end

errrrr

#8 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:23 am

Tesco's had some cheap one's in recently - £9.99. They'll be fine if all you want to do is use it in guest houses/hostels.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#9 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:50 am

QUOTE(Matlock @ Wed 21st May 2008, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tesco's had some cheap one's in recently - £9.99. They'll be fine if all you want to do is use it in guest houses/hostels.
wot 'e sed good.gif

if you are going a little more serious and using it for camping read on.......

this will shock most people.... Dont buy online! unsure.gif

its like buying clothing, you need it to fit you properly
cotswolds in reading has a good selection and the guys in there (on weekdays, weekends its bring a banana time) know their stuff and will be able to advise
they aint the cheapest but you'll be able to find one that fits and then look elsewhere for the best deal wink.gif

i've got a selection of sleeping bags, ranging from summer blanket type to full on 5season artic -40c jobbies
i'm still using the oldest of the bunch which a family member bought me as a 16th birthday pressy, packs down to the size of a pillow in the stuff sack
it then fits lovely inside a small ortlieb waterproof bag wink.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#10 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:39 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Wed 21st May 2008, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont buy online! unsure.gif
its like buying clothing, you need it to fit you properly

Agree with that. you might feel like a pratt laid on the floor of the shop in a sleeping bag but you'll be annoyed you didn't if it's fraction too short.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 Ted

Ted

sticking around

• 28 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:57 pm

whilst I agree with Tony to some extent I bought a sleeping bag from an outfit called ALPKIT on line and have been very happy with it. Used it Easter weekend in Brecon Bracons on wild camp with just me in tent and was still warm (remember it snowed). they do quite a big ranges of sizes and fill values so worth a look.

Ted

'Motorists see motorcyclists as afflicted by a perversion'

#12 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:39 pm

[quote name='tdm850rider' date='Tue 20th May 2008, 11:19 PM' post='83773']

nuffin gnu there then eh' Thomas.... unsure.gif tongue.gif

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#13 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:12 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Tue 20th May 2008, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Toooooooooo much information there Thomas rolleyes.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#14 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:25 pm

I would try a few for size and then shop around on the net for the best deal.
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#15 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:03 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Tue 20th May 2008, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have decided to buy a sleeping bag for the trip. Not sure what the lodgings will bring ......

Thought the provision was much as we had at Bellingham - ie clean bedding provided but bring yer own towel? Also, it's been so long since this thread started, I've lost sight of the cost per night - can anyone remember? And is it cash only?

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#16 TeDeum

TeDeum

age(d) by almonds

• 1,736 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:09 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Thu 22nd May 2008, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thought the provision was much as we had at Bellingham - ie clean bedding provided but bring yer own towel? Also, it's been so long since this thread started, I've lost sight of the cost per night - can anyone remember? And is it cash only?

Ian, the hostel will supply bedding and towels. Cost is 15 euro per night. Maurice would probably prefer cash. There is an ATM in the supermarket in the village.

2001 TDM. 1990 Serow. 2004 DRZ400.  3 bikes, four cylinders. Who needs more?

Visit My Website

"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current" Horace.

"A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man"

Founder of TSRMCMAS.

#17 big dave

big dave

has been here 4ever

• 1,462 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:14 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Thu 22nd May 2008, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I rememeber right it was about 16 euro per night (I worked it out at approx 11 squids). I'm intending to pay cash but don't know if that is the preferred method.

I had not considered taking a sleeping bag as I expected linen to be provided.

MOTO GUZZI T3 with Le Mans engine, frisky for an old girl
YAMAHA Tracer 700 

RE Himalayan
Down to 3 toys at the moment, need to go shopping I think

I DON'T DO EXERCISE - if God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put cake on the floor

#18 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:44 pm

Well, Clear any doubt first: I have my pillow. Bit like a blankie, but had it since a young Un, Also. staying in Wales the night before so will require some cover there, hence the posting.The Irish are clean and proud people so would know without question clean sheets.

And! My Ricky Cross needs something to tie on it rolleyes.gif

#19 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:59 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Tue 20th May 2008, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Want something that will keep me covered, im 6' x 6'.

Some cat, if that's only the bum tongue.gif

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#20 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:05 pm

Pict
I am shrinking too. washing the bike tonight and I looked up at my daughter!

Then again, Tony looked tall
so dis the taxi driver

Might be me then

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users