Fernihough

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:16 am

Hi there,

Feels great to be back on Carpe.

Have been busy lately and flirted several times with the idea of selling the TDM but couldn't! I still enjoy my chats with TDM owners when I see one in Boxhill or Newland corner!

Now I want to get it back on it and need to replace the battery. I bought one and naively thought it would be plug and play. However it looks like you need to be a gynecologist to extract the baby. Can someone advise which bolt needs to be removed to pull the battery out? 

It is a TDM900 registration 05

Thanks in advance

Franck

Darwin theory in action - Natural evolution from 4 legs to 2, from 4 wheels to 2

Yam DTR125 / Yam TTR250 / Blue TDM900 2005

Fender extension; Right miror extension; Tutoro oiler; Frank Thomas leather Bullit Retro Jacket with Knox back protector for normal time and textile jacket with forcefield 4 for long trips, monolock plate with E45 GIVI top case, Michelin PR2

#2 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:30 am

Not sure what the problem is?

On mine, it just lifts out without any problems.

#3 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:05 am

Get some gorilla duct tape and stick it firm at either end, pinch it together in the middle to form a handle, then slowly ease it out. When you put the battery back use the same concept, but wrap the duct tape around to get a better grip and stronger handle.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#4 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:20 pm

Or coat hanger wire onto each end.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#5 Fernihough

Fernihough

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:47 pm

Thanks guys- so you appear to confirm that I do not need to unbolt any fairing or remove the tank. I'll get back to it tomorrow then!! 

Darwin theory in action - Natural evolution from 4 legs to 2, from 4 wheels to 2

Fender extension; Right miror extension; Tutoro oiler; Frank Thomas leather Bullit Retro Jacket with Knox back protector for normal time and textile jacket with forcefield 4 for long trips, monolock plate with E45 GIVI top case, Michelin PR2

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:49 pm

Side panels off to lift the tank on it's hinge for access to the battery.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:07 pm

Side panels off to lift the tank on it's hinge for access to the battery.

For a niner? I dont remember doing that. Just seat off, I thought(?)
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#8 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:09 pm

No need to remove anything except the seat (and the battery strap of course).

In case you remove some parts like tank, panels, wheels, post pics so we can make fun of you...  ;)

top_640.png

#9 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:43 pm

For a niner? I dont remember doing that. Just seat off, I thought(?)

:lol: oops your right, must have the mk1 all muddled up with the 9r.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#10 Luke

Luke

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:45 pm

Hi, just put a new Yuasa in my bike yesterday. Remove seat, undo strap, undo connections and lift it out. Really simple and easy.
Fuel Cans, PCIII USB, Oxford Heated Grips, K&N Air Filter, Air Box Mod, Michelin Pilot Road 3, MRA Vario Screen, Scotoiler HRC, Givi Wingrack, Givi E52 Maxia Top Box, Givi E41 Panniers, Hagon Progressive Forks, Centre Stand, Bagster Tank Cover + Bags

#11 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:26 am

Yep!. Seat off battery out.

:badgerrock:

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#12 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:02 am

READ THE POST

He had trouble getting it out, not trouble getting to it--inferring that the tight fit might mean it had a retaining bolt or something. He's been out of the game a while and is rusty.  Hurrrumph.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#13 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:28 am

I have read the post....
There is no retaining bolt, the ONLY thing holding it in place is the rubber strap.
Several have already given good advise, so chill ;-)

#14 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 22 July 2018 - 12:48 pm

I have read the post....
There is no retaining bolt, the ONLY thing holding it in place is the rubber strap.
Several have already given good advise, so chill ;-)

LOL ! :)

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#15 Fernihough

Fernihough

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:25 pm

Thanks a lot guys.

The previous owner had stuck the battery with double side tape! Thanks to the advice of the coat hanger, I lifted the baby without difficulty and I am happy. 

#16 Luke

Luke

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:33 pm

Everyone's a winner 👍
Fuel Cans, PCIII USB, Oxford Heated Grips, K&N Air Filter, Air Box Mod, Michelin Pilot Road 3, MRA Vario Screen, Scotoiler HRC, Givi Wingrack, Givi E52 Maxia Top Box, Givi E41 Panniers, Hagon Progressive Forks, Centre Stand, Bagster Tank Cover + Bags

#17 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:52 am

Thanks a lot guys.

The previous owner had stuck the battery with double side tape! Thanks to the advice of the coat hanger, I lifted the baby without difficulty and I am happy. 

Damn.., I hate previous owners... You never know what they have messed up..  :)

#18 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:46 am

A happy TDM owner is worth a ton of gold.

#19 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:04 am

:lol: oops your right, must have the mk1 all muddled up with the 9r.

Ah the Mk1, where the Haynes manual says

- Remove seat

- Disconnect cables

- Lift out battery

and conveniently forgets to mention

- Remove side faring panels

- Detach and disconnect fuel tap

- Remove fuel tank

:lol:

On the other hand pretty much everything else was easier to work on compared to the Niner.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#20 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 04:12 pm

Funnily enough i found it easier to remove plugs on the 9r, go figure eh :huh: maybe i did it a lot less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users