89 replies to this topic

#1 DKM AUTOS

DKM AUTOS

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:59 pm

I was away on holiday this week down in York Sat - Sat.

Had a great time - but thats not why im writing this.

I made a point of counting the number of GS's i saw on my travels for the week

How many did i see then?

Any idea's?

Go on, have a guess?!

Ready? You sure?

113 - ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTEEN!!!!!!!!

No groups anymore than 3.

I saw 1 TDM 900, 1 1050 TIGER and 1 DL1000

and 113 GS's!

It just annoys me so much that i just had to tell someone as my wife just told me repeatadly to calm down and doesn't understand.

I mean, its just like the bike god has pointed down at numerous easily influenced people round the uk and said ' you boy, you have a small nob and you care too much about what people think of you - you, my son are a potential GS owner'

None of them looked like they've been treated to the abuse that there are designed (supposedly) for and one boy was just trundling along the see front at scarborough back and forth back and forth all afternoon - and he could barely touch the ground and was wearing shorts!!

How many of these 113 people would be better suited to another bike better than their GS, had their little pee brains allowed them to look further afield.

It just ANNOYS me. rolleyes.gif ranting.gif cuckoo.gif
2009 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure - ABS / TCS / TPS / ESA / ASC ' The Beast!'

1986 BMW K 100 RT - For sale!!

WWW.BIKETEC-MOTORCYCLE-TRAINING.CO.UK

#2 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:13 pm

QUOTE(DKM AUTOS @ Sun 29th Jun 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This has been posted before but it may help you calm down a little. Hitler gets a GS

#3 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts
  • Location:Drum Castle (well, next door), Kincardineshire.....well, I am a Baron!
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:16 pm

Keep taking the tablets Dave.......the voices will go away eventually tongue.gif
Gone but not forgotten: 2007 TDM900ABS Competition White, datatagged, fenda extenda, tomtom rider 1, Yamaha main stand, Yamaha heated grips, HID headlights, Yamaha top box & city side cases, MRA Vario screen, CLS200 automatic chain oiler, Yamaha belly pan, DL650 handguards, Gi-Pro X gear indicator, SW-Motech Mirror Extensions, LED side light, Stebel Nautilus AIR HORN!!!!!

(1974....KTM Comet Cross, RD250B, XS750, Wife & kids, DT175, Suzuki GT500, XT500, XT500 (modified), ZX-10 (the 1st one!), Yamaha TT600R, Suzuki GT750B, GT750K, '04 TDM900, GSX1100F, '07 TDM900A, '06 FJR1300A

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:17 pm

I spoke to the fella who runs the garage in Tongue. They had just loaded up and shipped off 8 (EIGHT) GS's that they had recovered and been unable to fix, all electrickery/computer related problems.

Seems like they are unreliable?.....or maybe its just that 80% of bikes up there ARE GS's!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 Spongey

Spongey

Carpe groupie

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:29 pm

QUOTE(DKM AUTOS @ Sun 29th Jun 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Had a great time - but thats not why im writing this.

I made a point of counting the number of GS's i saw on my travels for the week

How many did i see then?

Any idea's?

Go on, have a guess?!

Ready? You sure?

No groups anymore than 3.

I saw 1 TDM 900, 1 1050 TIGER and 1 DL1000

and 113 GS's!

It just annoys me so much that i just had to tell someone as my wife just told me repeatadly to calm down and doesn't understand.

I mean, its just like the bike god has pointed down at numerous easily influenced people round the uk and said ' you boy, you have a small nob and you care too much about what people think of you - you, my son are a potential GS owner'

None of them looked like they've been treated to the abuse that there are designed (supposedly) for and one boy was just trundling along the see front at scarborough back and forth back and forth all afternoon - and he could barely touch the ground and was wearing shorts!!

How many of these 113 people would be better suited to another bike better than their GS, had their little pee brains allowed them to look further afield.

uhmyeah.gif

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:34 pm

QUOTE(Spongey @ Sun 29th Jun 2008, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
uhmyeah.gif

He has a point....which is sadder, riding or counting GS's. rotflmmfao.gif

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 DKM AUTOS

DKM AUTOS

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:30 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sun 29th Jun 2008, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He has a point....which is sadder, riding or counting GS's. rotflmmfao.gif

Riding one for sure. In fact just for walking into a BMW showroom, one should get shot, no sorry thats a bit harsh, stoned to death.

Has everyone lost their minds.

BTW steve, that video is excellent. tongue.gif

#8 Spongey

Spongey

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:58 pm

QUOTE(DKM AUTOS @ Sun 29th Jun 2008, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Riding one for sure. In fact just for walking into a BMW showroom, one should get shot, no sorry thats a bit harsh, stoned to death.

Has everyone lost their minds.

BTW steve, that video is excellent. tongue.gif

You have just confirmed that you really are a prat !

#9 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:06 pm

I quite like the GS, I ride an 850 because that suits me. I would even go as far as saying "I like the new F800GS a lot" and if I had the money I would buy one. tongue.gif

#10 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:08 pm

Bet KTM wish they had backed Boringman and Spewing MegReggar rotflmmfao.gif

#11 DKM AUTOS

DKM AUTOS

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:37 pm

QUOTE(Dannyboy @ Sun 29th Jun 2008, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I quite like the GS, I ride an 850 because that suits me. I would even go as far as saying "I like the new F800GS a lot" and if I had the money I would buy one. tongue.gif

I love other bmw's and have had plenty of each - k1, k100, k1100, RT's, RS's, R's, F650 etc etc.

Actually i would say that one of my best bikes was a BMW 850R on a p plate - usual burgandy met colour and 19k but this thing had been LOVED!! Gorgeous and never put a foot wrong.

Its just the whole GS thing (esp. the 1150/1200), who have just jumped on the band wagon and appear to not be able to think for themselves - ewan and charley, although having brought us great tv and inspiration, and BMW lots of £, have got alot to answer for!! tongue.gif

i would buy an 850 GS or an 1100 from that era and ride with pleasure as number one they are good bikes and number two, i wouldn't be trying to impersonate a round the world traveller when i nip down to the co-op for a newspaper.

Edited by DKM AUTOS, 29 June 2008 - 06:39 pm.

#12 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:22 pm

I wonder, do those big alloy panniers actually come off the bikes? Every prat I see going round on a GS has those packing cases sticking out about 6 feet either side. Still it gives them a reason to ride like they're in a cage at all times. Never overtaking, or filtering through traffic.

Edited by danceswithmopeds, 29 June 2008 - 08:30 pm.

#13 Sparra

Sparra

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:31 pm

I reckon the 1100 is a great bike. If I was allowed by SWMBO I would have one in my garage. They may be more applicable over here due to the size and makeup of our great land. A group of the guys I meet up with with twice a year (Phillip Island for the bike races) all ride GS's. They normally ride 4/5 days of dirt to get there over some terrible roads and then wash the bikes when they arrive. I heard a guy at the races comment one time about how clean the bikes were saying "I bet they never get off road". Little does he know that 3 of them race the BAJA 1000 in Mexico and I of them has won the bike class outright in the Australian Safari and also a World title at the six day enduro.
Don't judge a book by its cover.
2002 TDM900. BMW 1150gs handguards, Oxford heated grips, Staintune exhausts, airbox mod, re-moulded seat, bar risers, Powerlec adaptor, bluetooth, 2way comms, K & N filter, Nonfango hard luggage, center stand, polished alloy wheels, (I'm not gunna)crash knobs

#14 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:54 pm

QUOTE(DKM AUTOS @ Sun 29th Jun 2008, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Had a great time - but thats not why im writing this

perhaps your just noticeing that the bike is well suited to the roads around that area (horses for courses) the suspenders on them GS's are just excellent especailly the front (slam on the brakes and still keep the line)

so take a chill pill and count mondeo's or summat else instead rotflmmfao.gif

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#15 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:07 am

I have to admit i spot alot of GS's too but i do like them and after i test rode Spongey's i was amazed at how torquey (no not d'inglish riviera) and tractable the enjun is in just about any gear at low revs/low speed.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#16 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:20 am

GS's are just part of the scenery here in Belgium (and France) as well. Especially them 1200's.
I would never buy a GS1200 myself since every single owner I know has had some issue or other with them German tractors...

Did get a chance to test a GS1150 head to head to a KTM 990 Adventure last Friday. A riding instructor had invited some friends over to come and have some fun between the orange and yellow cones on the instruction playground. We took the opportunity to swap some bikes and see what they handled like. And I must Admit, I have never ridden anything above 250cc that handles as lightly and easily as the GS. The downside (?) of it is that the bike seems very eager to go into a corner and has the tendency to 'drop' into it.

I tried the KTM afterwards and it only requires marginally more input, but it does feel more precise (i.e. doesn't 'drop' into the corner). And the engine in it is just bloody impressive. Not quite sure whether I woul dtrade up my TDM for it though...
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#17 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:01 am

QUOTE(Dannyboy @ Sun 29th Jun 2008, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me to but they are tooooooo fooking £££££££ because of the Ewan & charlie wannae be's ( not that i didn't enjoy LWR either)
I am going to be taking an F800gs out for a test ride soon But being realistic it will probably be a TDM9 for my next bike, just becuase it does every thing I need & can be had for reasonable £££££.
Not all GS owners are that bad.
One of the staff in our college has just bought a new 1200adventurer with all the goodies inc the 6ft wide pannier, I am sure they are great for rallies & weekend away but he couldnt follow me on my old mkI TDM through the traffic tongue.gif
TAM

Edited by TDMTAM, 30 June 2008 - 09:06 am.

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#18 Galilee

Galilee

850 going for 900

• 892 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:17 am

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sun 29th Jun 2008, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I spoke to the fella who runs the garage in Tongue. They had just loaded up and shipped off 8 (EIGHT) GS's that they had recovered and been unable to fix, all electrickery/computer related problems.

Seems like they are unreliable?.....or maybe its just that 80% of bikes up there ARE GS's!

Seems like your mechanic friend is unable to fix modern motorcycles. The 'electrickery' is only CAN-bus. Wich means that all the sensors and whatnot communicates on a serial bus instead of a separate cable for each item.

Finding a fault on a modern system is easy. Hook up a CAN diagnostic tool and each component will say if it works or not.

Too Freud to rock'n'roll, too Jung to die.

#19 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:26 am

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Mon 30th Jun 2008, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Me to but they are tooooooo fooking £££££££ because of the Ewan & charlie wannae be's ( not that i didn't enjoy LWR either)
I am going to be taking an F800gs out for a test ride soon But being realistic it will probably be a TDM9 for my next bike, just becuase it does every thing I need & can be had for reasonable £££££.
Not all GS owners are that bad.
One of the staff in our college has just bought a new 1200adventurer with all the goodies inc the 6ft wide pannier, I am sure they are great for rallies & weekend away but he couldnt follow me on my old mkI TDM through the traffic tongue.gif
TAM

Be prepared for a shock when you take out that 800. My wifes best friend had a test drive at Clarks in Brum and came out of the shop £6000 lighter. She is having hers delivered next week. This bike is very good with a fair amount of power to boot. You wont be shooting through the gears either as she had her test bike up to 80mph in 3rd with no problems. No sticky out engine bits or shaft drive but it was an extra £350 for fitting a top box (none aluminium). I went for the test ride with her and thought it was a very good looking machine. The guys at the shop even sorted out the ride height for her. They let me take out the 1200 GS and it was a very nice ride as Wicky said but imho not worth the extra £££££ by any means.

Edited by Dannyboy, 30 June 2008 - 09:29 am.

#20 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:37 am

QUOTE(Galilee @ Mon 30th Jun 2008, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finding a fault on a modern system is easy. Hook up a CAN diagnostic tool and each component will say if it works or not.

one of the guys at work is on his 3rd GS, the electrics keep going and they cant fix them so replace the bike under warranty

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users