89 replies to this topic

#41 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:45 am

Just thought I would reserect this thread as I missed it the first time.

And its such a good topic .

Way to go DKM Autos good.gif

OHHH ..... how the truth hurts. rotflmmfao.gif

Cheers, Ivan
I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#42 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:16 am

I find my old R80 GS a joy to ride ........ tongue.gif
Shall be picking it up from Steve Scriminger tomorrow after a complete carb overhaul & engine set up ......he reckons it's like riding a different bike yahoo.gif

Must admit, I had lotsa fun riding the Mk2 in the foothills of the Pyrenees last week as well ..........that was a joy to ride too !

In fact any bike is fun laugh.gif

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#43 Spongey

Spongey

Carpe groupie

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:33 am

QUOTE(Geordie Guy @ Fri 26th Feb 2010, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just thought I would reserect this thread as I missed it the first time.

And its such a good topic .

Way to go DKM Autos good.gif

OHHH ..... how the truth hurts. rotflmmfao.gif

Cheers, Ivan

You have not been paying attention! He has had TWO 1200s since all this! rotflmmfao.gif

#44 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:02 pm

QUOTE(Spongey @ Fri 26th Feb 2010, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have not been paying attention! He has had TWO 1200s since all this! rotflmmfao.gif

He has indeed, he must like them. I almost dare not ask this hide.gif ; but have you ever ridden a GS Ivan? I bet your mate Chris let you have a go on his. I bet you loved it but daren't tell us! evillaff.gif

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#45 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:34 pm

Yep, Chris, been on two.

Once for 20mins on the new 1200GS at the Birmingham Motorbike show And then on Chris's for a spell in scotland last year.

I found them both "tinny", like a two stroke lawn mower !

The vibe and the sound was industrial utilitarian and disappointingly thin.

Spongey, nearly spat me dinner out when I read that.

DKM .... shame on you ! punishment.gif

Let that be a warning to us all. The body snatchers are on the move, istupid.gif

We will all be wearing leather pants, eating apple struddle and talking in funny accents !

A bit like I do now, OHH Sh!t, they have got to me already.

"I just love GS's, that feeling you could just keep riding........ right around the world,

THE LONG WAY FOOKIN ROUND."

Quick save yourselves, women , children and Yamaha riders first , run !!!!

Edited by Geordie Guy, 26 February 2010 - 01:34 pm.

#46 MCBodge

MCBodge

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:46 pm

I quite like the 800.... unsure.gif

It could be very good with a bit of bodywork removal and suspension fettling.

Like this...

Edited by MCBodge, 26 February 2010 - 01:48 pm.

#47 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:17 pm

just because dkmautos bought a bmw does not make him a bad person , there is enough biker snobbery on other sites without it being on here drinks.gif

#48 mad dog

mad dog

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:50 pm

Get a life mate! tongue.gif

If you saw 113 different bikers in 7 days I can only say that this is fantastic for the biking community, it dose not matter if they are BMW’s, Yamaha’s, or Honda’s.

You don’t like the GS then don’t buy on that’s your choice but don’t slag off other bikers just because of the bike they ride, we all get enough bad press as it is don’t add to it!

Enjoy what you ride and get home safe that’s the important thing!

MD

Mad Dog<br /><a href="http://www.stevetredgett.co.uk"target="_blank">Steve Tredgett Photography</a><br />

#49 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:07 pm

The boxer engine takes some getting used to I think, or at least for me that's true. I've ridden R1150R's maybe 6 times, for hours each time. The first couple times (mind you, I had my K1200S in for service and was on the loaner bike), I had the general impression that this whole R thing was total shite and you had to be kidding me buying an R vs a K. When you're idling at stop, first off it shakes like hell. You hit the throttle and the bike damn near leans over. There wasn't a point in the rev curve that seemed to 'come alive'. I found the whole thing entirely disappointing. Until about the third ride... when I realized, it's a goofy engine all right, but it pulls like hell and seems to be very smooth at high speeds. Doing the twisties lacked the punch of the K1200, but was nevertheless fun once I decide to just pull through the turns hard from the start and take what I could get. Thrilling, no. Fun, not bad. For highway cruising, it seems to do 85 MPH in 6th gear w/o even noticing it. I can't say I fell in love with the boxer, but I can say I started enjoying it.

Edited by LDRider, 26 February 2010 - 07:40 pm.

#50 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:25 pm

QUOTE(mad dog @ Fri 26th Feb 2010, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don’t like the GS then don’t buy on that’s your choice but don’t slag off other bikers just because of the bike they ride, we all get enough bad press as it is don’t add to it!

Enjoy what you ride and get home safe that’s the important thing!

MD

BAD PRESS !!!!!!! you cant open a bike magazine, without a bloody GS worshiper pushing how good it is.

Wake up and smell the corporate spin !

The TDM gets the bad press, at the expense of corporate blanket advertisement by them fookers.

If the GS is that good why dont we all just go and buy one ..................... Carpe-GS1200

Get a life !

Get a independant mind !!!!

#51 big dave

big dave

has been here 4ever

• 1,462 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:08 pm

QUOTE(Geordie Guy @ Fri 26th Feb 2010, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BAD PRESS !!!!!!! you cant open a bike magazine, without a bloody GS worshiper pushing how good it is.

Wake up and smell the corporate spin !

The TDM gets the bad press, at the expense of corporate blanket advertisement by them fookers.

If the GS is that good why dont we all just go and buy one ..................... Carpe-GS1200

Get a life !

Get a independant mind !!!!

you'll be getting blood pressure Ivan

CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN

MOTO GUZZI T3 with Le Mans engine, frisky for an old girl
YAMAHA Tracer 700 

RE Himalayan
Down to 3 toys at the moment, need to go shopping I think

I DON'T DO EXERCISE - if God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put cake on the floor

#52 stubottle

stubottle

seems to like Carpe

• 46 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:28 pm

I've got two twin cylinder bikes that are shaft-driven, and they're not BMWs huh.gif
They're Moto Guzzis
yeahbaby.gif

#53 Snigdog

Snigdog

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 140 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:29 pm

I love these threads where everyone gets self righteous and starts going off ! ranting.gif
Wasnt long ago people were getting upset about what some magazine had said about our beloved wub.gif
Sd
2007 TDM 900
2006 ST1300A

#54 paulb

paulb

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:38 pm

I run a gs 1150
Ive had maybe 50 bikes over the years, including 1100, 1150, 1200 gs, TDM 850, 900 , Benelli Trek, vstros, sports bikes whatever.
Does that mean each time i change a bike I become a different person?

Come to the Dales and see how well you keep up with this particular GS, then gob-ff at your will.

And here was me thinking bikers were open minded folk

good.gif
PB

Honda CBR1100 xxx
BMW R1150 GSA se 2005
Yamaha WR450f

#55 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:59 pm

QUOTE(big dave @ Fri 26th Feb 2010, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you'll be getting blood pressure Ivan

Maybe, but he's got a point. The BMW brand is the media's darling at the expense of way, way better brands, Yamaha for one.

I'll still nod at a BMW rider, because he's on a bike after all, and if he choses to be a snob and not nod back that's his problem. Snobbery exists, biking world or not.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#56 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:57 pm

QUOTE(paulb @ Fri 26th Feb 2010, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I run a gs 1150
Come to the Dales and see how well you keep up with this particular GS, then gob-ff at your will.

Paul, you could ride a Motobility buggy and I still could not keep up with you.

You see thats my point, its the rider that make the bike.

Not the bike makes the rider.

All the hype that, BM fookin W, put out, is that its the bike allows you to be free, king of the road, able to go anywhere.

Bollox, the rider uses the bike to do those things. You don't need a GS to go around the world, there are other bikes that have done it. You don't need a branded aluminum box to put your skiddy's in, a bin bag and a bungee will do.

Its all image, hype, marketing and profiteering.

Every rider will make the same bike perform different.

There's more than one way, that's all.

But, for some sensitive folk, you cant say that. Its hard for then to admit that they have been sold a dream.

I know thats what everyone sells, " The Dream", that perfect holiday, that ride of a life time, buy a ASTRA and get a perfect empty road to dive on.

But For F... Sake , wake up.

Its just a fookin bike.

#57 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:08 pm

FFS Ivan every now and again ya love to bring this ole chesnut up again as yer attention seeking due to winter boredom or whatever, i don't know. PaulB comes across to me anyway as a chap with a varied taste in bikes along with what appears to be plenty of miles under his belt on a steed of his choice so you can waffle on all ya want about BMW's, but if The Yamaha PR machine was as well funded or as capable as BMW's then you'd be riding an underrated GS and slating the world class Yamaha TDM excl.gif

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#58 bondy

bondy

850 going for 900

• 852 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:24 pm

There appears to be a bit of dirty water floating about chaps, go get a good SHAG/W*nk giveusahug.gif

#59 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:13 pm

Wicky / Bondy

you've hit the nail on the head,

I' m bored and I need a sh@g ! banana.gif

Time for bed. rolleyes.gif

punishment.gif wacko.gif giveusahug.gif

#60 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• 3,312 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:30 am

Just to add my two penneth

I understand both sides of the argument, but SOME GS riders do have a chip on their shoulder.

I attend a bike meet every Tuesday in the season and there is a vast array of machines that turn up and park up in the 1st available spot then have a stroll round looking at the different bikes and generally mingle with anyone.

The GS crew on the other hand park in their own little spot and god forbid anyone non-GS should park there and keep themselves to them selves. They turn up in full touring mode with the full BMW bikewear on and i know for a fact that 3 of them travel 3 miles to get there.

Now i know not all GS riders are the same but there is an argument to suggest they some think their shit dont stink and proving that sometimes the bike does indeed make the rider

That said if i could afford one i'd probably have one

Moose

Oh and i had a sh@g this morning rotflmmfao.gif

Edited by Moose, 27 February 2010 - 08:32 am.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carpe-TDM.net - A place where everyone can have their cake and eat it!!!!!

TDM900/A 2007 Black, DL650 XTZ1200 Super Ten Handguards, Oxford Heated Grips, Double Bubble Screen, Fenda Extenda, Pipe Werx Oval Black SL Zorsts, R+G Crash Bungs, Mirror Extenders, Wilbers Rear Shock with Remote Hydraulic Preload, Wilbers Progressive Fork Springs, Scottoiler Touring Kit, Clear LED Rear Light Unit, Clear Indicators, PUIG Bellypan, V46 + 2 x E41 Keyless Luggage, Black Renthal 755 Medium Road Bars with Brace, 3 x 12v Accessory Socket, Beowolf Rad Guard.

TDM has moved on, i now own a Black 2009 Honda VFR 800 VTEC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without cake, we are merely just people who ride bikes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users