• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dkerr57

dkerr57

arrived on last train

• 4 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:34 am

Well I've just spent a bit of time fixing up and cleaning my bike. Now I'm keen to go for a ride where the roads are quiet and curvey. So I've devised a route, which is a combination of previous rides that have appealed to me. I am planning to do this ride in early December, before the mad school holiday rush. And I will try to avoid the weekends as well, meaning the ride will be roughly four or five days, not sure as yet.

I have dubbed this ride the ' Ten Thousand Corners Ride' not because there are that many corners, honestly I don't know how many there are, but basically, this ride is all corners and bitumen, with very limited straight sections, meaning the edges of the tyres will get a very good workout. Just hope the weather will be good, and will probably book accommodation in late November.

#2 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:45 am

I guess it's fair to say, that you're not heading west out of town then.

I remember, from about 20 years ago, filling the bike in West Wyalong and riding west... that should have gotten me to Hay, with a bit to spare... what I didn't count on was the headwind I would encounter on the plains, and just how much extra juice it would consume. Mr Plod did not own too many radar units back then either, not there was many plod out there. Well past the PNR and well short of the reserve range, given the thirst, the bike spluttered and I reached for the petcock. Oh feck! I'd seen maybe two semi's in the last 200kms, and they wont be stopping for a bike; I'd be stuck for hours in a waste land. God it was hot. I slowed right down and a semi was soon overtaking me, I sat on his arse and let his wake suck the bike along... until the first splutter forced me to lose him. I still had about 20kms to go. Slowing down even more I was overtaken by an old Ford Falcon, I practically clawed my way along the road hanging onto his rusty bumper with the power of thought. Splutter... splutter... splutter. I was alone now. About 10kms to go. Nervously sitting at 50km/h. Splutter... splutter... stall. Wait, rock the bike, wait, rock the bike. I could hear the smallest of sloshing sounds with my ear on the filler hole. Another km. Another 300m. Splutter, cough. 10km/h madly rocking the bike left and right as I crawled along. The servo was in sight, I could at least walk the last if need be. Walking pace now, rock, cough, rock, cough. Front wheel on the driveway. Stall. Roll silently to the bowser. Ahhhh...

Gotta love how the 9'er has got ta good fuel gauge. smile.gif

West Wyalong to Hay on Google Maps.

Later that day, a photo op', a bit more west of Hay.

Edited by AzzA, 23 October 2011 - 03:48 am.

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#3 graeme

graeme

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:47 am

QUOTE(dkerr57 @ Sat 22nd Oct 2011, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I've just spent a bit of time fixing up and cleaning my bike. Now I'm keen to go for a ride where the roads are quiet and curvey. So I've devised a route, which is a combination of previous rides that have appealed to me. I am planning to do this ride in early December, before the mad school holiday rush. And I will try to avoid the weekends as well, meaning the ride will be roughly four or five days, not sure as yet.

I have dubbed this ride the ' Ten Thousand Corners Ride' not because there are that many corners, honestly I don't know how many there are, but basically, this ride is all corners and bitumen, with very limited straight sections, meaning the edges of the tyres will get a very good workout. Just hope the weather will be good, and will probably book accommodation in late November.

Sounds good, if you coming through Omeo area would tag along for a bit, grab a pic or two?
cheers graeme

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users