Here's the kit, ordered from www.tunex.nl . The kit comes from China, but does have Philips IC's inside apparently:
One of the bulbs and ballasts out of the box and connected:
As seen on JBX's installation, you remove the screen and dash cover, making sure you don't loose the rubber grommet on the forward part:
Putting the ballast in behind the dash was easy:
But then I figured there might actually be room for more. So I tried to also put the second ballast in there. It turned out you can easily slide it in from the side:
And indeed, there was room enough for both units :
So, after disconnecting the battery I hooked up all the wires and, with everything only loosely in place, I reconnected the battery and tested the bulbs:
Here you see one of the bulbs, with the protective tube still in place but the foam around it removed (still a foam ring below it to):
Next was trying to figure out how to combine the bulbs, connectors, wires, rubber ring and the rubber cover together. This is what I eventually did:
As you can see above, I removed the little clip of the main ballast connector in order to get it through the hole in the big rubber Yamaha light cover. I then also put the two other, smaller, plugs through the hole. I had to leave the two little flat plugs (which connect to the stock H7 light connector from the bike) inside, which I would route trough the edge of the rubber cover. At least, I had to do that if I wanted to keep that little rubber ring in place, which I wanted to use to close up the hole in the big rubber cover from inside. Next to the Xenon bulb, you see the halogen bulb, with the Yamaha plug extender still in place.
That bulb plug extender thingie on the back of the halogen bulb created a small problem, since the steel clip would not touch the xenon bulb. So the bulb would't stay in place. I decided to leave the foam ring, originally meant to close the protective packaging tube, in place to sort of replace the extender thingie. It appeared to be perfect to allow the clip to push tight against the foam and therefor the bulb:
Next the rubber cover was pushed on, the flat plugs came out from the top and connected to the H7 feed:
Reconnect the battery, et voila:
Low beam only:
After this I removed the side and top fairing to give me more space in order to fixate the ballast units and put away the wires more neatly:
Four big tie-rips around the dash mounting plate were enough:
Looks neat, doesn't it (and it's dry too):
This is how the wires looked just before reinstalling the dashboard cover:
And while I was at it I tried to see how the vertical adjustment screw actually worked since I could never get it to move. Now I know how it works, I can adjust it. But this time it didn't need it. A big flat screwdriver works best. And not turning it but nudging it a few teeth at a time works better too:
I'll post experiences later because I gotta go. But so far I love 'm...
Edited by E-njoy, 19 June 2007 - 04:26 pm.