Photo
- - - - -

What Would You Buy Instead? (Hypothetical Scenario)

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:01 am

I've always liked bikes that were, perhaps all-rounders is not the word, but at least capable of doing fun and comfort without too much compromise.  Admittedly, I've had a ZXR750H2 and a TL1000S, being my two most single-minded models and I managed to tour on the H2, but in fact, it was after the TL that I got my first TDM.  A '97 850, IIRR (I'm sure the reg plate had "R" in it).

It seems to me that once the 90s were over, bikes started getting super focussed and specific and at that point I started to move away from the high performers as they were no longer the all-rounders the CBRs had been. I guess it reflects the move for bikes of being a transport choice in their own right to being luxury toys and status symbols.

Now, having taken out my TDM last week for a ride to my forest cabin, I found the TDM to be more like the "all-rounders" I once sought: comfy, yet capable and surprisingly fast. 

So, here's my scenario: if TDMs suddenly ceased to exist and all you were left with was a blank cheque by way of consolation, which bike would you have in its stead. To make things a bit more contemporary, let's say no bike design older than 2010.  In other words only models that were launched in 2010 or later.

Now I've put myself at a disadvantage as I've not kept up to speed with the bike market and the relative merits of the models released but probably I'd go for something like an F800GT. I test rode an F800ST and I had been impressed with its grunt and I'm a twin man myself. "V" where possible but I'll take parallel and boxer if needed. If not the GT, then perhaps the GS. So, longer rides without a chiropractor as pillion as well as spirited rides without an Trauma Surgeon as pillion would be possible.

Hopefully, some other members' answers will also educate me about the models that are now about and note-worthy.

So, what about you? What would fill your TDM's spot if the TDMs of the world were replaced with a bike-voucher instead?

Naturally, why you would choose it is half the fun, so please give a few details.

(To the one responsible: thanks for moving the thread.  Just as I posted it I thought it was probably the wrong forum)

Edited by SeizedBalt, 10 May 2020 - 07:05 am.

#2 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:09 am

Yamaha Tracer 900 GT  :good:

Having said that the 2020 Yamaha Tmax superscoot, wouldn't say no to one of them in the garage.

Now you've started something  :rotflmmfao:

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#3 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:13 am

Having said that the 2020 Yamaha Tmax superscoot, wouldn't say no to one of them in the garage.

Why the Tracer (He asks whilst frantically pulling up google images)?

Looks like triple in pictures.  I will read further.  Nice lokking bike, though.

Edited by SeizedBalt, 10 May 2020 - 07:14 am.

#4 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:58 am

Difficult question. Over the years many have moved away from the TDM, only to return having regretted their decision. I’m still on my first TDM bought in 2005. 

Replacement options..I’ve looked a a few over the years,  it never committed because the advantages never outweighed the extra costs etc. I guess I’d look at something like a Versys 1000. Having sat on one a few times, the riding position is similar and although it carry’s a little extra weight, has similar performance due to having more grunt. I should also say that my a

TDM sits alongside a Moto Guzzi V11 as my “pretty” bike that’s not entirely practical, but has bags of character.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#5 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:35 am

I guess I’d look at something like a Versys 1000.

On paper the Versys 1000 is a monster: about 35hp more than the TDM.  Heavier, granted but still!  I also looked at those last year.  One was going for about €4K here, lowish km. But wasn't ready to buy.

I should also say that my TDM sits alongside a Moto Guzzi V11 as my “pretty” bike that’s not entirely practical, but has bags of character.

Jealous.

I have long had a very spot patch for the V11 Sport (the model with the top fairing).  I rode one after the TL to get a taste and I really liked it.  Heavy, but planted.

I've never been brave enough to own an Italian as my only bike (for the first 15 years of my road-going life I'd only ever had a bike so it had to start each and every time, all year round) and never rich enough to buy one as a second bike.

#6 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:44 am

had a 500 scooter very surprising very cumfy and fairly fast (104mph) suprised a few sportsbikes comeing down lochness from NC500

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 May 2020 - 09:38 am

Think i would go with the cumfy scooter theme, 850 of course..Attached File  Aprillia 850.jpg   188.59KB   2 downloads

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:09 am

Attached File  Proper shiney!.jpeg   125.34KB   0 downloads

On paper the Versys 1000 is a monster: about 35hp more than the TDM.  Heavier, granted but still!  I also looked at those last year.  One was going for about €4K here, lowish km. But wasn't ready to buy.

Jealous.

I have long had a very spot patch for the V11 Sport (the model with the top fairing).  I rode one after the TL to get a taste and I really liked it.  Heavy, but planted.

I've never been brave enough to own an Italian as my only bike (for the first 15 years of my road-going life I'd only ever had a bike so it had to start each and every time, all year round) and never rich enough to buy one as a second bike.

I've had the V11 since 2010. It's been totally reliable since I ditched the factory reg/rec (well documented rubbish item). They really are a sweet handling bike for their weight, but you get the feeling if it fell over against a wall, the bike would win :-) I've also had a run of Italian cars, some mildly exotic, some reliable, and some not. It's just a case of accepting them as they are and taking a brave pill.

Edited by trevini, 10 May 2020 - 10:10 am.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

#9 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:21 am

I've had the V11 since 2010. It's been totally reliable since I ditched the factory reg/rec (well documented rubbish item). They really are a sweet handling bike for their weight, but you get the feeling if it fell over against a wall, the bike would win :-) I've also had a run of Italian cars, some mildly exotic, some reliable, and some not. It's just a case of accepting them as they are and taking a brave pill.

Yep....  That's the one!

🤤

Edited by SeizedBalt, 10 May 2020 - 10:22 am.

#10 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:30 am

They're quite rare, especially in Champange. I've seen 3 for sale in the last ten years. Mine's had the engine tuned by Baines Racing at Silverstone and has Carillo rods, head work and a few other bits done in addition to the cosmetic and comfort additions. It's not hugely powerful, having about 90bhp at the wheels according to the dyno sheet, but it'd leave my TDM for dead in the twisties and that's no slouch either.

LCErj.jpg

#11 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:40 am

KTM 990 SMT :)    or a 950 SM

Edited by fixitsan, 10 May 2020 - 10:48 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#12 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:59 am

KTM 990 SMT :)    or a 950 SM

Why those?
(I think I can guess)

#13 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 11:01 am

Why those?
(I think I can guess)

You probably guessed right.

SM = supermoto, T= touring kit (larger fuel tank and luggage, comfy seat)

And the ECU is programmable for free with TuneECU

#14 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 11:01 am

They're quite rare, especially in Champange. I've seen 3 for sale in the last ten years. Mine's had the engine tuned by Baines Racing at Silverstone and has Carillo rods, head work and a few other bits done in addition to the cosmetic and comfort additions. It's not hugely powerful, having about 90bhp at the wheels according to the dyno sheet, but it'd leave my TDM for dead in the twisties and that's no slouch either.

90 bhp May bot be masses by some standards but its still nothing to be sniffed at, and 550cc per cylinder must shovel out some serious torque.

I like torque.

Torque is good.

#15 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 10 May 2020 - 11:23 am

Think i would go with the cumfy scooter theme, 850 of course..attachicon.gif Aprillia 850.jpg

That's smart Dabbs, Gilera do an 800GP, that is neat.

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#16 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 May 2020 - 11:37 am

That's smart Dabbs, Gilera do an 800GP, that is neat.

Yea forgot about that one, it's quite the goer i've read.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#17 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 May 2020 - 01:03 pm

I have savings account for whenever I should get tired of keeping the mk1 running. The theary for now is to get a Tracer 700, probably 2020-> as report say they're comfier and have better suspension. Hired one a coupla years ago and loved it.
Bjørge

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 May 2020 - 03:11 pm

Indian FTR1200 Carbon for days out.

Versys 1000 for touring.

Or BMW S1000XR for both the above.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#19 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 09:00 pm

I looked at that Tracer. Nice but good grief!

13k for a 900cc bike! Maybe Ive been out of the bike buying game for too long but it seems nuts to me that a bike of moderate features and performance can cost more to buy that my car, my van, my TDM, my Transalp, my Ural my cargo bike and my regular bike all put together.

Tell you what, itll be a while before I buy a new bike again!

#20 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 09:14 pm

I looked at that Tracer. Nice but good grief!

13k for a 900cc bike! Maybe Ive been out of the bike buying game for too long but it seems nuts to me that a bike of moderate features and performance can cost more to buy that my car, my van, my TDM, my Transalp, my Ural my cargo bike and my regular bike all put together.

Tell you what, itll be a while before I buy a new bike again!

I never had a new bike yet either !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users