132 replies to this topic

#121 pt65

pt65

arrived on last train

• 3 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:51 pm

Hi All,

Man, its hard to find info on TDM's! Well, I just picked up a '92 850 with 8,500 original miles. Almost showroom condition. But, the fuel lines are all cracked, the coolant was black as oil, and a few other bits that probably need attending to.

In any case, my major issue right now is a fuel leak.

I just changed the fuel lines, but it still leaks. I've narrowed it down to either the o ring type seals on the tank valve / connection (it really isnt a valve since doesnt close), or the fuel pump diaphram membrane. I will start it again this eve and look carefully at the tank valve and fuel pump to see if its dripping down from the tank or spitting up out of the fuel pump.

I suspect its spitting up out of the fuel pump though, b/c when its running, it misfires / skips a bit (probably a bad coil since they are OEM and the insulation is likely faulty - I will try the self amalgamating tape method) and just when it does, there seems to be a squirt of fuel out the top of the pump out of the little pin sized hole on left side,just under a flat round tipped metal cover coming from the tank bolt mount. Hope thats clear enough.

My question is, since I dont plan to upgrade to an R1 R6 pump any time soon, has anyone dealt with this before?

I found the following item on ebay http://www.ebay.com/...=item19fcbb616f

But I think this is a MK2 fuel pump membrane. I suppose I will see for sure if I disassemble the fuel pump beforehand.

Man, this bikes a pain to work on. My GSX-R1000, ktm 520exc and kdx 200 are all waaaay easier to work on.

Any help, hints, tips will be most welcome!

Oh, by the way, if anyone is interested in doing vacation adventure tours in northern California, I'm working on a project to provide rental bikes and guides. Its a dream!

Thanks!

Pat

#122 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:04 am

Hi,  looks like the diaphragm kit should fit your fuel pump, iirc the internals of the mk1 and mk2 pumps are the same.

I guess compared to the bikes you mention, the TDM does seem a pain to work on but believe me there are many other bikes that are a lot more painful. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#123 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:10 am

Suggestion.

It may be worth you running the engine for a few minutes before you carry on and dismantle the vac pump.

Check before to see if there is any trace of fuel in the vacuum line from the pump, back to the engine.

#124 richarda

richarda

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:20 am

You could get a new pump for a similar cost:

http://www.banggood....0-p-944300.html

Richard

#125 pt65

pt65

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:05 am

Thanks for confirming that the membrane matches!

But, that pump looks like the ticket.

Grumpee, why would there be fuel in the vacuum hose, and what should I do about it if there is?

This is going to be one hell of a fun adventure bike :)

#126 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:26 am

Grumpee, why would there be fuel in the vacuum hose, and what should I do about it if there is?

Carry on as you were. I've heard examples where failed membranes lead to fuel down the sucky bits. ( searches for link )

http://www.carpe-tdm...=30524&p=302714

#127 pt65

pt65

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:46 pm

Thats what I was thinking, and a friend confirmed it as well. If the membrane is torn, the vacuum hose might suck fuel.

#128 alexk243

alexk243

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:58 am

Probably going to use a fused relay like this to do the job (change it out to a 10a fuse though)

1992 Yamaha TDM 850
2006 BMW F650GS

My Website/Blog with Different Project Write Ups

#129 alexk243

alexk243

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:01 pm

Is there any concern with noise of the pump being connected directly to the metal frame with no isolation?

1992 Yamaha TDM 850
2006 BMW F650GS

#130 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:00 pm

Is there any concern with noise of the pump being connected directly to the metal frame with no isolation?

i'd make sure that the electric pump uses the rubbers supplied or fuel may froth or damage the pump

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#131 alexk243

alexk243

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:46 pm

I didnt have any rubber supplied... I used a little bit of rattletrap that I had lying around, how think of an insulation do I need?

1992 Yamaha TDM 850
2006 BMW F650GS

#132 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:37 pm

can you use those rubber bobbins which have threads either side?

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#133 alexk243

alexk243

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:33 pm

I was just using a large hoseclamp... Ill take a picture

1992 Yamaha TDM 850
2006 BMW F650GS

1 user(s) are reading this topic