• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 23 December 2016 - 12:22 pm

Well as some of yew are aware i have affirmed my hetrosexuality and manhood by buying a MKI and he's called 'Meoff'. (No. 7 is goin nowhere and will be put out to stud)

Now this boike hasn't prolly been started in 10 years.

I got the original bill of sale (£4750), He was first registered 1-8-1991.      I got quite a few old MOT's with it including the first one from 28-7-1994 mileage was at 5377. Some of the MOT's show it only did 13-20 miles atween tests!  ODO now reads just under 7k

It's on stock doonpoipes and the grey / matte finished silencers that were only available fer about the first 12 munts after production along with the black'ish coloured frame.   Amazingly the zorst manifold studs look totally standard and rust free which lead me to believe this boike has never seen rain. It has a full Givi wingrack and 3 mint condition panniers that look sooooo late 80's in design.  However 1 of the large round frame bungs is missing which will considerably depreciate the value of my 'new' steed. 

I intend on doin the usual by tipping out the 'stale / varnished' petrol, inspecting the fuel tap and gauze filter, checking fer internal rust on the tank itself, degumming the injectors errrrr sorry carbs,  replacing the fuel filter, etc.  Tink oil prolly open up the fuel pump and check the diaphram and clean out any old fuel residue,  what say ye lot?

Afore trying to start d'injun i intend removing the cam cover and manually oil the cam lobes and udder moving bits n' pieces with a syringe (ryhmes with minge). Oi may as well check the clearances while i'm at it too. Oil remove  the plugs that spark and inspect the bores with a bore scope and prolly give each cylinder a short blast of WD40 or suchloike (udder suggestions welcome), oil drop the i'll and filter and replace them. Then i shall put a socket (to 'em Batman) on the rotor and manually turn over the enjun with a ratchet.  Once the bike is running it will have anudder oil change after about 20 miles of riding (yes 20).

Now the bit thas concerning me is the coolant,  shud i change it afore starting this antique or start it up, warm up the engine and coolant and then replace said coolant immediately?

Also the water pump / impeller has been known to cause the odd issue on 850's (even the odd 900 maybe?) which leads me to my next question.  Shud i remove the water pump cover and do a visual inspection and see if it looks ok,  shud i be trying to strip it and re-grease anything pertaining the said water pump ??  Shud i eat cake and ferget bout a water pump inspection?

I know this is alorra alorra questions but i am concerned as the bike has been stood ferra long time.

Peace out x

Edited by wicklamulla, 23 December 2016 - 12:26 pm.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#2 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:01 pm

Personally I'd be draining the coolant and flushing it through before starting the engine.  The corrosion inhibitor in coolant only lasts so long so there's a good chance of there being some gunge in there you don't really want to be pumping all round the engine.  In which case opening the water pump for a look might be a good idea too.

Something like Wynns Radiator flush combined with a plentiful supply of tea and cake ought to do the job.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:15 pm

I would drain an all after 10 years standing, it's one of those things that would niggle away in me ed otherwise..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:37 pm

I cant remember any mk1 impeller probs. mostly a 9er issue oi stink.

Would def drain cool ant. Flush and then re Pete at some point.

Where's da pics?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:13 pm

Are the clutch plates not stuck together? They usually are after a long stand :unsure2: 

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:45 pm

Congratulations on getting yer manly noo old steed. :)  Allus good to hear about getting a TDM back on the road.

From reading yer post it sounds like you've got all points covered, the only problem you could get with the coolant pump is a dried out seal that might have stuck onto the impeller.  You'll soon know if the seal goes as the lickle hole at the rear of the pump will be leaking coolant or oil onto yer engine.

Carb gaskets, o rings and choke plungers might have gone all crumbly, you can get new improved gasket kits from Litetek, they're ethanol proof and cost less than any other kit I've seen. http://www.litetek.c...aha_TRX850.html   Some useful info on their site about fitting them too.  NRPCarbs or Allens Performance sell the choke plungers.  I think they also sell intake rubbers if you need any.

We need pics !

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:02 pm

wank yew all very crutch fer de helpful pointers.   That was it Studders, the impeller seal is wot i is jive talkin' bout and I have read of a few impeller issues over the years with all incarnations of the 850/900 lump.  

Oil try an upload some pics.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:06 pm

Stricktly speaking you can't buy a noo seal for the water pump and Mr Yamaha only sells new pumps.  However, Lee Henty did manage to find a replacement seal and did a write up a bare tit.  I'll see if I can find the topic.

EDIT:  Found this in KB http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=30101

Lee Henty wan http://www.carpe-tdm...=30867&hl=water

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:21 pm

Stricktly speaking you can't buy a noo seal for the water pump and Mr Yamaha only sells new pumps.  However, Lee Henty did manage to find a replacement seal and did a write up a bare tit.  I'll see if I can find the topic.

EDIT:  Found this in KB http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=30101

Lee Henty wan http://www.carpe-tdm...=30867&hl=water

Loike that alot,  tanks!

#10 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:34 pm

Here we go. Not got many pics as it's doon the road on a farm undercover atm.

Attached Files

#11 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:42 pm

Here is 'Meoff' tethered up in the back of a merc. sprinter in preparation fer the trip back to Devonia.

Attached Files

#12 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:43 pm

Now that will look the Dogs Danglies once you get that manky rack & shed taken off the back.

Exceptional purchase & superbly sniped .........I take my hat off to you Sir  :clapping:

Edited by sidestand, 23 December 2016 - 05:43 pm.

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#13 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:43 pm

Yikes, see what you mean about the frame bung! :-)

Looks good nick that.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#14 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:50 pm

Yikes, see what you mean about the frame bung! :-)

Looks good nick that.

TBH honest PK i'd love a silver wan (1994/5 model) loike wot Studders had cremated or dat bottle green wan we used ta see parked up in Cullompton a few years back.  Gonna keep this 1 stock though.

#15 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:35 pm

I would drain and change all fluids. Clean caliper pistons well before pushing them back into the calipers, then change the brake fluid.

I wouldn't change the oil filter until after the last of the oil changes.

And well done there, nice bike !

Edited by fixitsan, 23 December 2016 - 06:35 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#16 erdferkel

erdferkel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:55 pm

Cool find and congrats.

Might I suggest to squirt ballistol into the bores rather than WD40? I found ballistol to be more, ah, luby?, and it is said to neutralise acids better. But then again, this may be irrelevant.

I don't know, if you already have this planned, but if it were my bike, I'd give the fork a good flush and fresh oil as well.

Have fun fettling and riding!

Happy Holidays and

Glückauf

Ralf

bike porn with a sense of humour

XT 608 E (slightly optimised) "Ye olde XT" | KTM 1290 S@S 

-putt putt?

-braap?

-braaaaaap!!

#17 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:01 pm

Here we go. Not got many pics as it's doon the road on a farm undercover atm.

i

Looks well !!

Aluminium Welding with Parkinson,s

#18 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:34 pm

This thread has google translate fully flummoxed..

Exceptional purchase Wicki. What about a bit of petrol and 2t oil down the bores? I've done this in the past with idle, sticky motors with good results. Always been a bit testical using kero (WD 40 and the like).

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#19 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:12 pm

Good find Wicky, I like it a lot. :good:

#20 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:22 pm

Looks tidy.  Nice to see the Givi Wingracks rot just as fast if you don't use them, those don't look any worse than my high mileage ones did :D

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users