• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 63 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:24 pm

Hi all, Im having a real issue at the moment- with the air box off the bike it runs/revs/idles as it should however as soon as the air box goes on its awful and just dies. Figured out the issue seems to be when a little outlet in between the carbs near the top is covered up- the air box kind of suffocates it it seems. It looks like it should have a hose attached to it possibly although it doesnt on my bike- either that or it looks like it should slot into the air box however it doesnt actually line up. Has anybody come across this before? Ill post pictures if I can

Attached Files

Edited by danjohnston89, 18 August 2019 - 09:27 pm.

#2 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:28 pm

How ya,  I'll get some pics fer ya later on and advise as best i can. 

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:34 am

Ok Whas the history of this bike, have you bought it as a spares or repairs jobbie or have ya had the carbs apart or adjusted the pilot jets? Here is a pic. Of mine.  The rubber  hose from the T piece doesn't attach to anything but yours is missing. 

Attached Files

Edited by wicklamulla, 19 August 2019 - 06:37 am.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:40 am

:wifgeni:

Yup, it's just a breather for the carbs, the pipe, which might have a valve type plastic fitting in the other end, should just hang down from the connector towards the ground.  If you haven't got the pipe you can still swivel the T piece downwards, should work like that.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:32 am

Thanks for you help guys. The pictures are great. So the previous owner has messed about with the carbs and I believe has fitted a carb kit replacing parts with new ones. The runner hose is obviously missing and hopefully this is causing the issue. I have tried running it with the breather pipe facing downwards and have the same issue. Ill try and source one, any ideas where I might get one from? Cheers

#6 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:25 pm

m

Thanks for you help guys. The pictures are great. So the previous owner has messed about with the carbs and I believe has fitted a carb kit replacing parts with new ones. The runner hose is obviously missing and hopefully this is causing the issue. I have tried running it with the breather pipe facing downwards and have the same issue. Ill try and source one, any ideas where I might get one from? Cheers

measure the spigot size and simply buy a length of hose!

#7 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:23 pm

So I now have a piece of hose to act as a breather pipe, however it hasnt made the slightest bit of difference 🙁 as soon as I put the air box on it runs terribly and cuts out. Air box issue? Air filter possibly? Its a brand new k&n air filter thats fitted

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:24 pm

So I now have a piece of hose to act as a breather pipe, however it hasnt made the slightest bit of difference as soon as I put the air box on it runs terribly and cuts out. Air box issue? Air filter possibly? Its a brand new k&n air filter thats fitted

When you say it's as soon as you put it on, do you also bolt the filter into place ? Inlet rubbers between carbs and the cylinder head, on any bike of that age, can develop cracks, and so a slight bit of pressure pushing them in one direction can open up the crack and spoil the mixture

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:38 pm

When you say it's as soon as you put it on, do you also bolt the filter into place ? Inlet rubbers between carbs and the cylinder head, on any bike of that age, can develop cracks, and so a slight bit of pressure pushing them in one direction can open up the crack and spoil the mixture

Yep i replaced them both on my 1991 & 1999 TDM's.     When ya say it's a new air filter fitted,  did you fit it and how long since you took it out and and inspected the interior of the airbox for a mouse nest?

Edited by wicklamulla, 26 August 2019 - 10:40 pm.

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:15 pm

:wifgeni: Deffo worth checking the airbox internals.

Also wondering if you're disturbing the wires to the HT coil when you're fitting the airbox.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#11 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:03 pm

I was informed by the previous owner that the air filter is brand new however I didnt buy it or fit it. When putting the air box on Im not bolting it down however the air filter compartment is screwed down.i did try removing the air filter however when the bike started running terribly and that didnt make a difference. The air box itself is clear. You can see from one of the pictures that there are cracks in the rubber mounts which Ive tried to seal up to see how it goes and hopefully it will solve it. The HT lead issue is a possibility and I will investigate that also. Id still no joy Im thinking a new air box?
Thanks

Attached Files

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:48 am

I was referring to the wires going to the coil, not the HT leads.  Worth checking the spade connections.

Have you tried upping the tickover, might be that it's to low.

#13 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:44 pm

The rubbers I meant, were the ones between the carbs and the engine inlet ports, below the carbs. They may be okay, but on older bikes (speaking from experience) the rubber fails, cracks and allows a little bit of air in. Usually apparent as a terrible tickover but at wide throttle openings running fine. But if the airbox is mounted in such a way that it moves the carbs by a small amount it could open up any cracks which are there. A good little check for that is to spray some WD40 or even some thicker chain grease at the rubbers and temporarily block the cracks so you get a few seconds of good running.

I just thought that if you're taking the carbs off it's also worth a close examination of the rubbers the carbs mount into at the same time

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#14 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:03 pm

Ill have a look at that, some good advice there. Thankyou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users