• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 daveRapide

daveRapide

sticking around

• 33 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:50 pm

The sun was shining brightly this morning. Half the population would be indoors watching the royal wedding and the other half would be watching the football. My personal interest in both being zero, it was a good day to go for a ride. The roads here in Galloway, where I live, are hardly plagued with traffic at any time, but today I would have them all to myself.

The TDM is in the garage waiting to go for an MoT and service next week, so I wheeled out the Guzzi: a 1979 V50. For non-Guzzisti, this is a compact lightweight 500cc v-twin. It has all the good old bits - air cooling, carburettors, twin shock suspension - and all the worthwhile modern bits - electric start, Bosch electronic ignition and disc brakes. No ECUs, no catalytic converters, no Bluetooth. It handles brilliantly and sounds like a proper motorbike.

Past the ruins of Dundrennan Abbey, through Kirkcudbright, with fishing boats at the quay and yachts bobbing at the pontoons. Over the river, down the west side of the bay, through Borgue and Kirkandrews to the Carrick shore. A traditional looking schooner was lying offshore, at anchor in the lee of the Isles of Fleet. Then inland to Gatehouse, and a steep climb up the Laurieston road, looking across the Fleet Valley to the high hills in the distance. Over the high moors, then down through woodland to Laurieston. Up the west side of Loch Ken to New Galloway, then down the east side to Castle Douglas. Over the hills to Dalbeattie to fill up my tank with some decent petrol, then home. About 100 miles.

What a day. Sunshine, blue sky, new green leaves on the trees, white lambs in the fields, bluebells and wild garlic on the roadsides, intense yellow gorse on the hillsides, and a red Italian v-twin to tie it all together

I think I was probably right to miss the royal wedding.

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,732 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:56 pm

Oh you were right to do just that, sounds like a fairy tale holiday , good to hear you had a good day, that's your summer done Dave, sounds like a nice ride all the same :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 daveRapide

daveRapide

sticking around

• 33 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:38 pm

Oh you were right to do just that, sounds like a fairy tale holiday , good to hear you had a good day, that's your summer done Dave, sounds like a nice ride all the same :good:

Thanks dablik. It was a great day. We do get quite a lot of sunny days here in Scotland. Another one is forecast for later next month....

#4 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:41 pm

Sounds like you had a cracking day

Hmm Moto Guzzi V Twin
Sounds like the perfect 2nd Bike

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:01 pm

Thanks dablik. It was a great day. We do get quite a lot of sunny days here in Scotland. Another one is forecast for later next month....

:lol:  Sounds like you had a great day out. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,732 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:53 am

Ay Dave you do, i was up the west coast a few years back and contrary to popular belief the weather was scorching hot for the whole week, Scotland is glorious when the sun's shining and if the climate were generally warmer i would probably never have to venture over to Europe :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,749 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:08 pm

lovely round there, I remember going to port Logan where the fishes eat your hands thinking its food.

scared me to death

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users