7 replies to this topic

#1 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:02 am

I've got the hand protectors (Ebay 173978358968, not too bad, actually, need some machining on the brake side) and the Bagster to protect my beloved some. As to bungs - do they even work, on low speed or no speed impacts? Which to buy, where to put them? Too low on the bike and it seems to just add damage to the fairing from pivoting, it seems from some thread in here. Front axle protector (the ones through the axle) any point? 

2002 TDM 900 Red/Yellow Cocktail (it's yellow)., biggified some

#2 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:32 pm

I had bungs on the 4tx but changed to full crash bars - the logic for me is that its a lot easier to repaint crash bars than repaint or buy new fairings if I come off

As for the fork axle ones, I made a set recently on the lathe for my brothers vstrom and planning to make a set for myself, they cant do any harm and only a crash will tell if they are worth it

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#3 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:16 pm

I used to questioned the use of crash bungs. Then I decided that I needed something. Ordered a set from MGS. Nice people! Even got a discount for sending some pics of them fitted to my TDM! When I laid the bike on its side to check how effective they are only the bottom of the silencer just touched the ground with the bike resting on the bung and the handguard ( I got straight Magura Fat Bars fitted!). Happy with that.

On a trip to Wales I parked the biked in an enclosed hotel car park with level ground on its side stand. The bike fell off its stand onto its right!, yes you are reading that right, side. No serious damage. Some scratches on the silencer underside, slight scratch on side fairing and a cracked indicator. How useful the bungs would be sliding along a bumpy road I dare not think. But they did the job slow speed.

Rob

P.S.

We watched the incident on CCTV to see who pushed the bike over. Nobody did! It just went from leaning on the stand to upright and then over to the right side. Spooky!!

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:12 pm

I used to questioned the use of crash bungs. Then I decided that I needed something. Ordered a set from MGS. Nice people! Even got a discount for sending some pics of them fitted to my TDM! When I laid the bike on its side to check how effective they are only the bottom of the silencer just touched the ground with the bike resting on the bung and the handguard ( I got straight Magura Fat Bars fitted!). Happy with that.

On a trip to Wales I parked the biked in an enclosed hotel car park with level ground on its side stand. The bike fell off its stand onto its right!, yes you are reading that right, side. No serious damage. Some scratches on the silencer underside, slight scratch on side fairing and a cracked indicator. How useful the bungs would be sliding along a bumpy road I dare not think. But they did the job slow speed.

Rob

P.S.

We watched the incident on CCTV to see who pushed the bike over. Nobody did! It just went from leaning on the stand to upright and then over to the right side. Spooky!!

was it lopsided with only one pannier fitted on the rhs maybe?  I guess the breeze could have done it.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:27 pm

It had one pannier fitted. But it was empty. No wind. Yard was enclosed.
Should say that the rear was also resting on the pannier.

#6 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:43 pm

Thanks lads,

Crash bars are definitely an option. I'd like some pegs on it, too. I seem to recall reading about a Polish fellow custom making a kit?

@JMC - good idea about whipping up a pair on the lathe, that's an easy fix. Will look into than in the weekend.

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:27 pm

http://www.rm-g.pl/yamaha-tdm-900-gmole/ :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:42 pm

Perfect, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users