Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 29 February 2024 - 04:06 pm

Afternoon Gents

So the 9nr has developed a misfire / idle issue  

appears to be just like coil issue -  rough idle,  need to keep revs up to stop it stalling etc 

Apart from when its in 1ST Gear with clutch in etc sits nicely at Idle ? Clutch has no effect when in Neutral

Seems ok at usual speeds etc / might be a bit off- hard to tell with the strong wind etc 

Waiting on replacement Coil & spark plugs ( plugs are only 3 months old ) before I start taking things apart 

anything else I might have to consider ?

I'm probably overthinking this -but the thought of the missus giving Me a lift to and from work is causing sleepless nights again  :lol:

#2 AdamTDM

AdamTDM

sticking around

• 33 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 29 February 2024 - 04:39 pm

Fit good quality H/T leads. And plug caps.

Edited by AdamTDM, 29 February 2024 - 04:40 pm.

Yellow 2002 900

#3 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)

Posted 29 February 2024 - 04:56 pm

Apart from when its in 1ST Gear with clutch in etc sits nicely at Idle

Side stand switch?

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#4 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 07:17 pm

Side stand switch?

Hmm switch seems fine - cuts engine as soon as gear selected if side stand down
Bike has never started if in gear ( clutch in ) - can't remember if that's normal ?
I'm sure a previous bike started whilst in gear with clutch in (850 ? I'll check that tomorrow ) like I said probably over thinking it

Edited by Andy25, 29 February 2024 - 07:23 pm.

#5 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 07:22 pm

Fit good quality H/T leads. And plug caps.

Won't be buying from Fowlers ! Over a £100 for a Coil ! and different part no for each one ?
So will just be Wemoto @ less than1/2 the price until I'm certain

#6 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,095 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 08:32 pm

Check all wires are good to interlock relay left side rear of tank the wires can corrode out. You will need to raise the tank on a prop to access this.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#7 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 10:16 pm

Check all wires are good to interlock relay left side rear of tank the wires can corrode out. You will need to raise the tank on a prop to access this.

Cheers Mr Henty I will have a look at that

#8 Tedious93

Tedious93

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 March 2024 - 12:57 am

How old is your battery?  4 plus years could be suspect. Check the voltages both open circuit (after a 1/2 hr. and when charging. Do you keep it on a Tender?

#9 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 06:48 pm

How old is your battery?  4 plus years could be suspect. Check the voltages both open circuit (after a 1/2 hr. and when charging. Do you keep it on a Tender?

Battery is about a month old ! so that should be ok
Bike used Daily
Replacing of the coil's is not straightforward due to the housing frame on the lower coil ! Shape of replacement coil just not right
So I've ordered one from Fowlers @ £101:33 ouch and as expected its on back order
So naturally the Bike has ran fine the last couple of days

#10 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,447 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 07:39 pm

Swop the wires and ht from each coil to the opposite side see if the misfire follows?

Edited by Catteeclan, 10 March 2024 - 07:40 pm.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#11 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 08:45 pm

Swop the wires and ht from each coil to the opposite side see if the misfire follows?

I swapped the original coils over and it did improve but still had a misfire - but they may actually be the Original Coils - so possibly 16 years old and with 45k now on the clock etc
Once the coil from Fowlers arrive I'll get it all changed and see night as well change the spark plugs as well as

Either my hands are getting bigger or the space is getting smaller thought the 850 was tight but the 9ner needs bloody small hands !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users