Photo
- - - - -

Rattling From The Right Side Of The Engine When Throttling Off.

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 May 2020 - 09:55 am

Well, trying hard not to get despondent after having shelled out a shed load on my new bike already but I just heard a rattling on the right hand side of the engine. Id only been on the road about 5-10min to my first stop.

Could be camchain slap.

Checked the engine oil and the level is good.

Is this a sign of the oft-mentioned cam tensioner issue?

If so, what does it mean for now (Ie before I can address it)?

And if not, any suggestions as to the cause?

On a personal note, I dont do quirks on my bikes. They trample my confidence in it and thus trample my enjoyment of riding it so the sooner I can make this noise go away, the better!

Cheers.

Edited by SeizedBalt, 13 May 2020 - 09:55 am.

#2 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 13 May 2020 - 11:22 am

is it the modified cam tensioner that is fitted  i wonder? some people manage to make the tensioner ratchet on a click by manually assisting it.  

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:28 pm

is it the modified cam tensioner that is fitted  i wonder? some people manage to make the tensioner ratchet on a click by manually assisting it.  

No idea. Externally I looks like any other based on the pictures Ive seen.

But Im about to hand it over for the clearances to be checked and my concern is that a faulty tensioner (beyond risks to the timing) may also make the work Ill be paying for pointless.

I've checked it and I'm pretty sure it's the old one.

Edited by SeizedBalt, 13 May 2020 - 04:57 pm.

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 13 May 2020 - 01:40 pm

Difficult to know problemo without hearing it. Is this a new noise or one you have just noticed?

I don't do 9ers but I think that they centre punched by the vin plate or summat to denote if recall had been done. There will be info here about which vin numbers were involved in recall.

I think the 9er has the spiral/spring design of tensioner so dont think there is any ratcheting up to the next click to be done....they changed the simple and effective 850 design as it was errr simple and effective and they were bored of that kind of thing!!!!!!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 May 2020 - 01:45 pm

Difficult to know problemo without hearing it. Is this a new noise or one you have just noticed?

I don't do 9ers but I think that they centre punched by the vin plate or summat to denote if recall had been done. There will be info here about which vin numbers were involved in recall.

I think the 9er has the spiral/spring design of tensioner so dont think there is any ratcheting up to the next click to be done....they changed the simple and effective 850 design as it was errr simple and effective and they were bored of that kind of thing!!!!!!

It may have been changed outside warranty... I did on my 9er.

Quite easy to just remove it and check, though ? Just need to be "reset" or whatever you'd say. Check JBX site for how to position crank afore loosening it. I followed these instructions and had no issue with skipping teeth on camchain sprockets just removing the tensioner. 

Bjørge

#6 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 May 2020 - 02:39 pm

The difference can be checked easily whether you have the modified tensioner or not

TENS_12.jpgAttached File  TENS_12.jpg   99.35KB   1 downloads

Edited by Rallyist, 13 May 2020 - 07:02 pm.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:42 pm

Good find Graham. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:50 pm

What ya seein SR? I just get an "access denied" page.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:53 pm

Weird, first time I looked at Grahams post all I got was part of the the image txt, looked again after a minute or 2 and the image is there.  Wondering if JBX's site is having a hissy ?

Can you see the image below ?

TENS_12.jpg

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:58 pm

No SR still no worky. Tried opening in new tab but still no joy.

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:04 pm

Here ya go Daps.

Attached File  Tens.jpg   230.49KB   3 downloads

#12 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:10 pm

That learnt it SR, ta. So basically a bigger stronger spring to push the silly spiral harder!

#13 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:14 pm

Mine is the older version: 38mm.

I'm almost certain as I asked the bike shop man today to use calipers to measure and he came back saying 37mm, but then he was bent over and an odd angle. Hence probably 38mm versions.

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:23 pm

That learnt it SR, ta. So basically a bigger stronger spring to push the silly spiral harder!

Had to download image then post up myself.

Anyhoos, new wan also has a longer barrel so pushrod is less flippyfloppy when fully extended.

#15 rlittlefellow

rlittlefellow

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:45 pm

If your changing the CCT dont pay the UK prices, if that's where your based. I order mine from here 80 quid delivered!

https://www.megazip....in-5PS122101000

Edited by rlittlefellow, 13 May 2020 - 07:45 pm.

#16 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 13 May 2020 - 08:45 pm

If your changing the CCT dont pay the UK prices, if that's where your based. I order mine from here 80 quid delivered!

https://www.megazip....in-5PS122101000

last time I ordered from japan it cost an extra £14- £7 for import and £7 to post office.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#17 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 05:14 pm

Modified ones are a different shade of engine paint colour

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#18 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:39 pm

I went to see the dealer today. Didnt have the bike but I described the symptoms and he plummed for the tensioner as the likely culprit.

He said to bring it in for them to have a listen but so far so good. Ill petition for the upgrade tensioner but if its the old type for free of the new one out of my pocket, Ill settle for the old one.

Once done Ill still get the cam chain and valve done.

Then I can focus on the forks and head race bearings. Then and only then, I can relax...

#19 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:00 pm

I went to see the dealer today. Didnt have the bike but I described the symptoms and he plummed for the tensioner as the likely culprit.

He said to bring it in for them to have a listen but so far so good. Ill petition for the upgrade tensioner but if its the old type for free of the new one out of my pocket, Ill settle for the old one.

Once done Ill still get the cam chain and valve done.

Then I can focus on the forks and head race bearings. Then and only then, I can relax...

yer mad in my humble opinion!  i'd simply buy the modified tensioner and ask the dealer if he'll contribute towards it or give ya some free enjun oil in lieu of a donation. I remember a couple of TDM 900's going BANG cos the owners didn't heed the advice to replace the old style tensioner for the new style. Anudder TDM rider and pillion rode from UK to Pakistan (i think it was) and his timing jumped about 2 teeth and the bike ran rough as a badgers nadger till he got it fixed,  luckily there was no damage.  Also check the TPS has been changed too.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#20 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 04:14 am

Believe me Im gonna push for the new version.
But in any case I get your point and Im taking it seriously.

And what is the TPS?
Dunno that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users