#1 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:22 pm

Sidey, his mate Doddy, Dabbers, MB and myself set off on Sideys euro tour with 4 of us getting the ferry to Santander. 2 niners, 2 Gs's and a mk2a 8fiddly were the rides of choice. :)
The only pre-booked accomodation was the first hotel, the rest of the tour was on the fly with Doddy & Mick sorting out the

route and accomodation generally the night before.  Thanks to their knowledge, and time spent planning the days, we

enjoyed some amazing roads with stunning backdrops.

Here's where we stayed....

Hotel del Oso, Cosgaya.  In the heart of the Picos de Europa, Spain.  - 3 Nights

Pic du Midi, La Mongie, Col du Tourmalet, Hautes-Pyrénées.  French Pyrenees  - 2 Nights

Tautavel.  Foothills of the French Pyrenees. - 4 Nights

Menton. 20km from Nice, South coast of France.  - 1 Night

Chambre d'hotes la bastide des cedre. Saint Pantaleon, Les Vignes, France. - 1 Night.

Alp Hotel, Voreppe.  Somewhere I'd rather forget in the centre of France.  - 1 Night

Troyes. City about 60km south-east of Paris.  - 1 Night

Le Moulin de Tigny. Converted watermill, classic food and great hospitality. 10km south of Le Touquet.  - 1 Night.

Cliff was a late attendee and would make his way to Cosgaya, Spain via Cherbourg.  After a brekky meet with Dappers on my way down, I met up with Sidey, Doddy and MB at the ferry terminal where we boarded the ferry.  We arrived in Santander feeling ready for a ride after the relaxing, and slightly boring ferry trip whilst Cliff had had a mare of a ride in 48 hours of miserable wet weather.  His satnav was playing up and his route map soaked so he called and arranged to meet us off the ferry.

A spirited ride of about 70 miles showed up the shortfalls of fitting longer dog bones to the 9'er. :o  Sparks were flying as I narrowly avoided having an off, it was all too easy to ground out on the twistys.  Sooooo, I slowed down after that. :)  Bike was much better on the twistys once the suspension was firmed up.  Bit harsh on the goat tracks though, but, thankfully they were relatively scarce. :)

We all arrived at the Hotel del Oso, Cosgaya in one piece with Cliff staying just down the road at a local B&B type place for 2 nights and the 3rd night staying across the road from out hotel at the Hotel Cosgaya.  The del Oso is a lovely 3 star hotel with super-friendly staff and amazing food.  The portion sizes are HUGE too, ask Cliff about the bowl of local stew.

View from the hotel room

Attached File  01.jpg   107.55KB   2 downloads

The Picos is an amazing place for biking, lots of twistys, hairpins and amazing roads an scenery.  I could easily spend 2 weeks

there.

Cafe stop at one of Sideys secret locations. :)

Attached File  02.jpg.jpg   127.89KB   1 downloads

The 5 amigos.  MB, Doddy, Cliff, myself and Sidey. Stopping off for a break and enjoying the 25C sunny weather.Attached File  04.jpg   165.57KB   0 downloads

Stunning views wherever you looked.

Attached File  06.jpg   161.78KB   1 downloads

Attached File  07.jpg   168KB   2 downloads

Returning to the hotel on the last day, and just starting a twisty mountain descent I began to notice my bike squirreling about, thought at first it was the gusty weather.  Got to the bottom of the mountain and discovered I'd got a rear puncture.  Bad timing as we had a big ride planned for the following day so all hands on deck to get it sorted.  Phoned my breakdown provider who were crap.  Ended up with Mick and Doddy asking the hotel staff for somewhere to get it fixed.  They managed to find a guy who found I had 2 punctures and got them sorted for about 7pm that evening.

The next day saw us making our way along the Spanish and French Pyrenees heading towards our next stop off up the Col de Tourmalet.

Beautiful vistas on the way there

Attached File  05.jpg   128.31KB   1 downloads

More to follow. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:54 pm

Whoopwhoop. Keep em comin. :-)
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:07 am

:clapping:  :clapping:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#4 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:02 am

Glad ya enjoyed losing yer virginity trip - sounds like a good un. Now plan to repeat ad infinitum.

Edited by Favs, 04 October 2016 - 07:04 am.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#5 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:58 am

No,no you were right the 1st time Favs  ;)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:09 am

Could easily get hooked on euro trips. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:24 am

Top tour Studders, Keep the pics coming.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#8 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:27 am

Local stew........mmmmmmm so delicous, a mediocre portion though..

20160918_210432.jpg

The posh boys hotel

20160919_182201.jpg

My digs 

20160918_195212.jpg

Great piccie

20160918_093005.jpg

End of the road stop

20160918_121923.jpg

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:48 pm

We had a 350 mile blast to get to the Col de Tourmalet, passing a rain-soaked Bilbao, where I got absolutely soaked, before journeying onward using Spains deserted dual-carriageways which looked as though they'd just been layed.  2 hours later and I was as dry as a bone. :D  Again, stunning vistas around every corner as we went past Pamplona and Jaca then headed North into the French Pyrenees.

Attached File  06.jpg   161.78KB   0 downloads

Attached File  07.jpg   168KB   0 downloads

The roads suddenly changed from silky smooth tarmac to potted old strips of coarse gravelly roads with no barriers for

safety as we made our way over the mountains. Donkeys, wild horses, cows and gravellon all added to the experience.  After a long day in the saddle and what seemed like a never-ending route to get to the col we landed at about 7.30 just before dark. TF ! lol

Attached File  08.jpg   77.16KB   0 downloads

We were staying at the Pic du Midi, Le Mongie, a ski resort located at about 1800m up the Col de Tourmalet.  The view from the room was amazing and we could just see and hear the diggers sculpting the slopes in preparation for the skiing season. 

Attached File  10.jpg   223.93KB   0 downloads

Attached File  09.jpg   105.27KB   0 downloads

Cliff and me decided to have a day off from riding and we had a pootle down to the local area for a coffee.  That's where we met a guy called Dave, why are they always called Dave ? :huh:   Turns out he'd bought a run down farmhouse and was turning it into a bikers retreat, with honesty bar, pool, bikes for hire and the likes.  Also turns out he lived about 7 miles from me in Bolsover !  Small world indeed eh.  I gave him my calling card so he might be on here some time in the future, reckon he'd got another 18 months before he'd be open for business.
Also had a pootle up to the top of the col for a photo op. :D

Attached File  11.jpg   179.56KB   0 downloads

Attached File  12.jpg   141.39KB   0 downloads

After chilling out for a day I was ready for more riding as we left the col and headed East to Mick's place in Tautavel.

#10 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:34 pm

Cool dude supping on a coffee

20160921_133515.jpg

and a plonker

20160921_133718.jpg

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:09 pm

:lol:

#12 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:04 pm

Good to hear your having a great time.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stint over there last year.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:52 am

Having spent the last 5 days following and watching Mick and Doddy riding, and taking in their comments and advice, I felt

confident enough to have some time riding solo. :) We had a relatively steady 200 mile ride to get over to Tautavel so with

Mick's address stored on the satnav I peeled off after 80 miles and made my own way there. Doddy had also gone solo on a

jolly so it seemed the perfect time for me too. The roads and scenery were great and I enjoyed putting into practice what

I'd learnt about getting around hairpins, hitting the apex at the right time on the twistys and always reading the road ahead

both visually and with the satnav so I wasn't out of position if there were a succession of bends or unexpected traffic

looming. Time flies when you're having fun and before I knew it I was in Tautavel, I'd only stopped once in the 120 mile trip

and that was to put an extra layer on.

Tautavel is a typical small-ish French town located in the foothills of the Pyrenees and only 16 miles away from the Med

coast. I can see why Mick chose the location, it's very relaxing and laid back and the people very welcoming and friendly.

Attached File  20160926_085424.jpg   167.01KB   0 downloads

The roads and scenery around Tautavel are perfect for biking too. :)
I arrived at Mick's some 30 mins behind Doddy and 30 mins ahead of Mick, Cliff and MB and within the hour we were all

showered up and heading off to Mick's local, L'Etape, for some blonde's. :D That's beer, not women. Serge, the host at L'Etape warmly welcomed us and in no time we were eating his excellent pizzas and sampling the never-ending variety of local Catalan wine and spirits. Doddy was trying to get WiFi but Serge had been trying for 12 months to sort it out. 30 mins later and Doddy (Le Hackeur) had it up and running, which of course led to more beer and wine from an extremely grateful Serge. :D Cliff entertained us all with an epic tale of his adventures whilst lorry driving back in the day and Serge joined in the humour and drinking of beverages until the early hours of the morning.

Attached File  20160922_214144.jpg   108.15KB   0 downloads

The following morning, with a slightly thick head, I had a stroll down to the local boulangerie for fresh bread and called in at the minimarket for some essentials, all carried back in a paper bag. Cool ! Everyone I saw greeted me with a 'bonjour' or a 'bonjou'

No plans were made for the time spent at Mick's so we could do as we please really. Cliff had to start making his way back home on the 1st day there, he'd tried to arrange extra time off work but they weren't having it. We rode with cliff for about 50 miles before we parted company. I then took another opportunity for a solo adventure, set the satnav to find me a petrol station some 20 miles away and off I went. I ended up riding a pass very similar to the gorges de Galamus but with a narrower road and overhanging cliffs above me, couldn't stop for a photo though. Found the petrol station, filled up and just followed the road ahead.

Attached File  20160923_142137.jpg   204.85KB   0 downloads

Many miles of twisty roads and beautiful scenery and I ended up in Cucugnan, where part of the town is built onto a small rocky plateau where a windmill sits. :)

Attached File  7a.jpg   190.3KB   0 downloads

After that, I set the satnav for Tautavel and made my way back, looking forward to more of Serge's hospitality and local

Catalan dishes. :D

Attached File  7b.jpg   90.11KB   0 downloads

#14 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:39 pm

Looks like you're hooked on the touring life :good: . Cant beat it. Unfortunately I'm going the other way :sorry: . Getting too many aches & pains.

Never mind, I can always follow your adventures but really you need to stop encouraging Cwiff :lol: .He's getting worse with age

Heaven help us if he gets a GS

Edited by TinTin, 05 October 2016 - 12:44 pm.

#15 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:19 pm

Oh that food looks good, it's a bit shit i missed that, have to say though, what a thoroughly delightful host in Serge, loved the beer, was lush, and a lovely town, the locals were very friendly, not like the normal snotty amphibians you meet underway.

#16 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 03:26 pm

Deffo hooked Sam.  If it's any consolation, the 2 week trip cured me of numb bum and a sprained neck so maybe it'd do the same for your aches n pains ?

You know we all missed you when you had to come back Cliff, so much so, we took your orange pantaloons with us for company on the rest of the tour. :D

Attached File  26.jpg   166.98KB   0 downloads

#17 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:48 pm

Oi, mine were a slim fit  :P

#18 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:27 pm

Got a big decision to make over the winter months.
1 keep the mile munching Triumph
2 chop it in for a physically smaller Sunday type bike to bimble all over Cumbria, Northumberland and the borders.

#19 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:16 pm

Col De La Bonnette - 2802m 

Highest Underpants in Europe  :good:

Attached Files

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#20 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:52 am

:lol: .....Mick i just knew you wanted to borrow those, however i hope nothing chafed after you went commando matey  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users