#1 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:22 pm

Went to Bishops Stortford which for me is about 65 miles each way.
Delivered parts and tool to brother had a look at the problem on his Honda quick coffee and took the scenic way back. So about 150 miles altogether. I like my TDM alot, although brother is keen on my becoming a Honda Crosstourer rider. Had a short ride it's not for me. With Alloy boxes it's very wide.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#2 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:51 pm

I take it that means you're staying in there 900 camp then Lee?

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#3 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:56 pm

Too right, it might be a V4 127bhp all singing and dancing, but it's tall and heavy and my 900 is better on fuel. Looks the business though.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#4 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:59 am

I love my Crosstourer, but it's like chalk & cheese when compared to the TDM. It's great for touring on, goes (and stops) like stink and is a thing of engineering beauty to my eyes. But, she's a big old barge and is a beast to maneuver in a tight space. I've yet to meet a Crosstourer owner who hasn't dropped it whilst moving it around the garage, or something similar. I dropped mine in a petrol station in Loch Carron when I pushed it out of the way to let someone else fill up and the front wheel went in a 10mm deep drainage channel. Once she went past that tipping pioint I just couldn't hold her. Someone on the Crosstourer forum said "there's three types of Crosstourer owner; those that have dropped it, those that will drop it soon and those that pretend they've never dropped it" :rotflmmfao: . Tell your brother to get some crash protection, I have stronger handguards and R&G crankcase covers.

The Crosstourer forum is a friendly place, but there isn't the depth of knowledge that there is on Carpe. I'd say 75% of owners leave it to the dealer to do everything. Surprisingly, routine maintenance is no more difficult than the TDM, but valve checking (every 16k miles) and changing plugs (every 32k miles) are major surgery, requiring a childlike hands to get in the tight spaces and, would you believe, a special tool, in the provided tool kit to change one of the rear bank's plugs!

In a more relaxed lockdown, I find it's the TDM I take out for a relaxed bimble on the local roads, much less work hustling it around the twisties :good: . But on something like a Scotland tour, the Crosstourer is the tool for the job. Despatches long motorway journeys in a relaxed way, but at warp speed, and loves the big, open Highland roads.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:14 pm

He's got all the R&G stuff it's a Highlander spec.
It's very nice smooth engine, he had a Pan Euro ST1300 before which I liked. Easy engine to work on. He has had fork seals and this little niggle so far. Crosstourer is a unicam engine so only 8 shims to worry about.

Edited by leehenty, 04 June 2020 - 04:16 pm.

#6 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:37 pm

He's got all the R&G stuff it's a Highlander spec.
It's very nice smooth engine, he had a Pan Euro ST1300 before which I liked. Easy engine to work on. He has had fork seals and this little niggle so far. Crosstourer is a unicam engine so only 8 shims to worry about.

what does unicam mean? 1 camshaft?

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#7 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:26 pm

Yes one cam over inlets with shims and fingers with adjustable height ball joint more like a vauxhall for exhaust. Came from racing apparently. So no worries about double cams going out of sync but has two cam chains two tensioners as it's a V4

Edited by leehenty, 04 June 2020 - 05:48 pm.

#8 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:29 am

I love my Crosstourer, but it's like chalk & cheese when compared to the TDM. It's great for touring on, goes (and stops) like stink and is a thing of engineering beauty to my eyes. But, she's a big old barge and is a beast to maneuver in a tight space. I've yet to meet a Crosstourer owner who hasn't dropped it whilst moving it around the garage, or something similar. I dropped mine in a petrol station in Loch Carron when I pushed it out of the way to let someone else fill up and the front wheel went in a 10mm deep drainage channel. Once she went past that tipping pioint I just couldn't hold her. Someone on the Crosstourer forum said "there's three types of Crosstourer owner; those that have dropped it, those that will drop it soon and those that pretend they've never dropped it" :rotflmmfao: .

My exact thoughts about the XT1200. Traded for the Tracer GT after 4 years but still miss it.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:28 am

There's quite an advantage sticking with the lighter weight tried and tested TDM. I've ridden some of these "adventure" bikes but often they are very heavy.
Even my Royal Enfield can exceed the speed limit.. just, given enough time, how much power do you really need ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users