• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tezmondo

tezmondo

sticking around

• 28 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:29 pm

My tacho is stuck on 2500rpm and it doesnt move when turned off and back on.
The temperature gauge is also stuck at the same angle as the tacho.
Any ideas as what is wrong and how to fix it?
Thanks for any ideas and hopefully solutions.

#2 tezmondo

tezmondo

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:47 am

Just attached picture

#3 tezmondo

tezmondo

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:55 am

Please see photo of problem
Thanks

Attached Files

#4 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:34 pm

No idea really but I would give disconnecting the battery a go.  I think the technical term is 'a power off reset' or 'have you tried turning it off and on again?'

Fingers crossed.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:28 pm

You could look at DIAG mode to see if the bike is throwing up any errors.  http://www.tdm-yamah...ex.php?page=MDG

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 tezmondo

tezmondo

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:26 pm

Tried discounting battery, wiggled and tapped the clocks, but nothing moved sadly.
Thanks for replying.

The DIAG mode - not sure if I have the marbles both upstairs and down to attempt that in case I set something wrongly and then can’t put it back.
But thanks for the suggestion

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:12 am

DIAG mode wont bite ya :)  you only have to press buttons or disconnect the ECU spray it with ACF50 or dielectric spray put back together and see if that does owt.

Pretty sure there is an explanation but cant remember what it is for the life of me, you need the mint jelly man.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:07 am

This post is worth a read, although it doesn't fully explain what caused the problem, it does discount the clocks as the problem.

http://www.carpe-tdm...=32500&hl=tacho

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:38 pm

Dont you hate it when there's no ending :huh:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#10 tezmondo

tezmondo

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:41 pm

Thanks for all the ideas. Reading the link it sounds like it is the steeper motor whatever that is within the clocks.
Is it easy to remove the clocks and open them up?
If so would a spray of wd40 resolve the problem on the stepper motor?
Why would you have take the needles off ?

#11 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:14 am

No WD40 on electrical parts, use only contact cleaner !

Test your dash : 

1 - switch main switch off.

2 - remove screen and black plastic around dash.

3 - unplug the dash connector.

4 - plug it in back.

5 - dash should calibrate as usual : needles going to max then to zero.

If it's not the case, investigate the connector, the wiring - mainly around the steering column, the best place to get wiring wear.

Don't focus on the stepper motors, it's very unlikely they both die at the same time.

Next step : remove dash, open it and look for dirt, dead mouse, mint jelly and all that sort of crap...

Edited by JBX, 22 March 2018 - 01:17 am.

top_640.png

#12 tezmondo

tezmondo

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:50 pm

Thanks jbx
Ill work through that tomorrow and hope I get lucky
Ta

#13 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:47 am

I forgot to mention to check for water ingress / moisture inside the dash casing.

This may explain the malfunction you are experiencing.

If it is the case, dry it carefully first with a soft & clean rag, then use an air-blower.

(i personally like a cup of tea and cake after the blow-job)

top_640.png

#14 tezmondo

tezmondo

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:12 am

Changed all fuses.
Tried disconnecting power to clocks.
Taken clock apart looks clean and dry. Moved tacho back to zero and temp to zero, both seem to move freely.
Is it ok to unplug Ecu and spray that and other connectors with electrical contact cleaner.
Cant see any broken wires or anything.
Wondering what else to do other than cleaning contacts above.
Taking the fairing off I didnt see the two lower connections and have snapped them..... doooo!!
How do you plastic weld or would superglue do it.
Sunny day today - should be out riding....
Thanks again for anymore advice
Cheers

#15 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:54 am

Cappo (on here, but no longer with a TDM) had this issue.  I sold him my spare clocks, and them my failed in the same way.

Tacho is totally dead - no movement.  Temp is alive, but not accurate or in line with sensors.

I've taken mine apart and can't see anything significant.  I did post some pictures of the board which people suggested looked ok.

Speedo, mileage and all lights are fine, plus fan kicks in at the correct points, so haven't investigated much more on mine, but I would suggest that it's a wire between sensors / ECU / dash.

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#16 tezmondo

tezmondo

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:24 pm

Ok ta
Problem I suppose is finding which wire as fault may not be easily seen if not obvious split, fraying or some corrosion.
Where do you check if the earthing is ok as people have mentioned that?
Is there more than one earthing point?
Ta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users