4 replies to this topic

#1 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:19 pm

Thinking of fitting paddock stand bobbins by drilling and tapping the swinging arm. I am worried that the mounting won't be strong enough and they will pull out.
Has anybody tried this method? If not can you suggest something better. I want to use a paddock stand as I have just ruptured my Achilles putting my Tiger on the centre stand and don't want to do it again on my TDM 850

#2 Swarf

Swarf

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:00 pm

I'd weld a couple of tapped bosses to the arm, I wouldn't trust a couple of turns of thread.

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,745 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:21 pm

Abba stand is the way to go, should be 10% off on the forum, bike behaves like it's on a pendulum, easy to lift and 2 axle stands under the crash bars to get the front up..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 DavieL

DavieL

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 57 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:41 pm

On my 850 I use the type of paddock stand with flat supports that lift under the swing arm, it works fine. You can then jack the engine (carefully!) to lift the front end.

If you wanted to fit bobbins on an 850 I'd drill right through, clearance for an 8mm bolt, then make a chunky spacer to allow the bobbin to be fitted & tightened up without crushing the swing arm. You'll need to strip off the wheel and adjusters to fit the spacer but it should be solid.

#5 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:41 am

The 9er has points already in place - not the same on the 850?

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users