#1 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:37 am

For those of you looking for a match for the grey engine paint, you could do worse than Halfords Vauxhall Steel Grey, used a couple of coats of etching primer,two coats of grey and two of clear laquer, not the greatest paint job, but a close match (the clutch cover is the original colour)Attached File  image.jpeg   129.02KB   4 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   139.65KB   2 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   127.24KB   1 downloads

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#2 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:00 pm

looks neat to me mate 

good job :good:

#3 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:17 pm

Best I've seen yet. Good job.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#4 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:46 pm

Nice job Chris, I can't tell where old meets new. Did you mask everything off, or just remove the side casings?  

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#5 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:21 pm

Come on spill the beans Chris, downpipes off as well looking at it, what did you clean it up with before painting !!!

Have to say it looks really good on the piccies matey, nice job indeed :good:  i just put a new sticker over me alternator where the paints rubbed off  :rolleyes:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:53 pm

Nice job Chris  :good: Martin do it for you?

Mk1' R1 gold spot front calipers • HH sintered front pads • FJR1300 front master cylinder • K&N air filter • Factory Pro emulsion tubes • Oxford heated grips • Mirror extenders • KTM handguards • Baglux tank cover and bag. 12v auxiliary socket • Delkevic 2 into 1 exhaust system • Engine guards • Chrome radiator guard • Renthal bars • Touring screen. Optimate and Oil pressure switch/light mod (Leehenty special!) to be fitted. Tom Tom rider V2 europe. GoPro HD Hero. Fenda extender.
Triumph Tiger 955i with stuff added.

#7 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:47 pm

Exhausts off and polished, engine degreased with Demon Machine dirt shifter then rubbed down with scotchbrite and (dry) wet & dry paper, wipe over with pre painting wipes from Halfords, masking tape & newspaper over everything not being painted then off you go. After everything dried I changed the allen bolts for stainless. Not sure how long it'll last as it was car paint and not high temp, but will probably do it again this way next time, my problem is I'm never patient enough to wait between coats! Just seen I've oversprayed onto the frame engine mount, have to clean that off!

Edited by chrisr, 31 July 2016 - 08:54 pm.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:52 pm

Lookin' good Chris. :cool:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:53 pm

Let's know when you redo your's again then..i'll come along  :D

Edited by dablik, 31 July 2016 - 08:54 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#10 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:23 am

Hi mate. Looks good to me. If you fancied bringing your pipes up like nooo you could do what I did and use a green Scotchbrite pad an coca-cola. Works a treat!

Attached Files

#11 Yammymammy

Yammymammy

Carpe Regular

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:24 am

Hi mate. Looks good to me. If you fancied bringing your pipes up like nooo you could do what I did and use a green Scotchbrite pad an coca-cola. Works a treat!

So many people say that works,apparently the cheaper the cola the better. Have always wanted to try it on mine,but looking at my down pipes the've never been off and I'm terrified of snapping a stud off !!. Guess it's a lot easier to do with the pipes off as apparently it's the 'fizzing' action of the cola when first opened that works on the pipes ?

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:48 am

I tried cola and it didn't work. I guess it depends on how bad the pipes are.

I quite like the shiny bronzed look though. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#13 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:14 am

Mine seem to go that colour soon after I clean them, even when I got them back to a shiny chrome colour ( I think Riggers just put new ones on!)

Edited by chrisr, 02 August 2016 - 10:16 am.

#14 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:25 am

Mine seem to go that colour soon after I clean them, even when I got them back to a shiny chrome colour ( I think Riggers just put new ones on!)

Well not quite! What I CAN say though is that the bike hasn't been started or ridden since I did the pipes. A knackered hip has meant me consigned to the Silverwing you can see in the background. I'll let the forum know what the pipes look like after their maiden voyage!  :)

#15 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:28 pm

Tried cola and a scrubber also, not working for me i'm afraid, oven cleaner got my done..

#16 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:34 pm

I tried cola and it didn't work. I guess it depends on how bad the pipes are.

I quite like the shiny bronzed look though. :)

Tried cola and a scrubber also, not working for me i'm afraid, oven cleaner got my done..

Just a word on this cola malarky. I found it's no use doing it like you would an ordinary polish i.e. dabbing a cloth in the cola and rubbing away.

AND it's also no use soaking the pipes in the cola cos that won't work either.

Nope. What you have to do is put the cola (cheapest you can find cos it's all the same for this job) into a dish and really wet the Scotchbite pad. Then rub and soak the pipes at the same time. Loads of coke and loads of rubbing but the rubbing doesn't have to be too hard. This method will take away all the tarnish and all the rust (ok we all know that stainless ain't supposed to rust but it does).  It's a right mucky job but hey we're bikers aren't we?

In my case I did take the pipes off but once done then I reckon you could keep on top the job with then in situ.

Then when dry I just finished off with a normal going over with Solvol Autosol to remove any Scotchbrite marks.

Anyway that's what I did. Me.

#17 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:18 am

So out of interest Chris, how long did this paint last for then....was it durable ?

#18 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:24 pm

You’ll have to ask Ali, he’s got the bike now, I’m going up to Scotland on the 5th July to see him and will probably be riding it then, I’ll try and remember to take some photos of the engine.

#19 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:09 am

I'm guessing it's probably okay actually Chris as it's got decent paint underneath, be good to see some photo's of it though, give Ali a big kiss from us lot :)

#20 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:50 pm

Here you are Cliff, not great, but its still on there.....Attached File  6468A756-829A-46AE-AE62-710C886FD295.jpeg   221.04KB   1 downloadsAttached File  A43DAF96-7628-43AF-A430-5391657432AE.jpeg   139.21KB   0 downloads
And it still runs perfectly with nearly 60,000 on the clock....I miss it!

Edited by chrisr, 09 July 2019 - 06:53 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users