Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:42 am

That's what an axe murderer would say!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#302 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:43 am

He's a big cuddly bear is Favs :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#303 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:55 am

With an axe ? :P

You checked the oil level recently Ian ?  Could need topping up, or replacing perhaps ?  Can deffo hear the top end on my mk1 more when the oil level is getting low.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#304 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:11 pm

i can just hear a tapping between 2000 and 2700rpm  on light throttle. No noise other than glorious thunder everywhere else. 

That might just be how they sound and Ive never really ridden one that low in the revs as they are normally a lot more lumpy. 

#305 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:57 pm

i can just hear a tapping between 2000 and 2700rpm  on light throttle. No noise other than glorious thunder everywhere else. 

That might just be how they sound and Ive never really ridden one that low in the revs as they are normally a lot more lumpy. 

Is the air flap still connected in the airbox?  Flaps Wicky, flaps  :pimp:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#306 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:37 am

no its been hollowed out. I've removed everything including the solonoids and pipework. 

#307 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:01 am

You may be being oversensitive. I thought mine was too noisy (nearly 70k miles), but no valves out of spec and plenty of adjustment left in the cam chain tensioner. I ended up listening to a bunch of clips on 'tube and decided that they're all a bit noisy and stopped worrying about it. 🙂

#308 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:10 am

yeah that is more than likely the case. Its hard to hear the noise when the bike is idling, its only when I am riding through villages at low rpm. Might be some weird accoustic thing with my helmet  :unsure2:

#309 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:11 pm

tappety tap

sounds worse on the phone video than what i can hear! 

pre ignition? timing chain?

#310 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:52 pm

tappety tap

sounds worse on the phone video than what i can hear! 

pre ignition? timing chain?

Can't hear it for some reason. My IMGUR player page shows the vid but no noises

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#311 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:10 pm

hang on. I have no sound either. uploading it to youtube.....done

https://www.youtube....h?v=M8r8_8ngETg

#312 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:33 pm

hang on. I have no sound either. uploading it to youtube.....done

https://www.youtube....h?v=M8r8_8ngETg

Camchain-ish ?

When my 850 had a similar annoying noise when I took it for an MOT, the tester, who used to be Yam main dealer engineer told me that int he good old days they would just slightly slacken the tensioner mounting nuts, because the gap between the tensioner teeth was a bit large, and slackening the nuts let the tensioner move back a touch and the next tensioner plunger tooth to engage with the pawl, so that when you tighten it back up you've set the chain slightly tighter.

It did work on my 850, I only slackened the nuts a half to 3/4 of a turn and gently eased the tensioner away from the crankcase

#313 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:47 pm

I'll give that a go and see.

Apparently its got the later tensioner on it, but its also kicking onto 100,000 miles.

#314 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:22 am

I'll give that a go and see.

Apparently its got the later tensioner on it, but its also kicking onto 100,000 miles.

I changed my chain at 100000, whether it needed it or not. Not sure if the tensioner suffers the effects of age very much though. I suppose the plunger spring can  suffer a little bit but it's still a hardened spring, so any reduction in strength , I don't think, will be very noticeable

#315 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:19 am

Sounds no different to when it was 70,000 miles ago - remember it does have reprofiled cams. I'm not a great fan of the slackening back of the screws and retightening - with the newer tensioner it shouldn't need it - the 900 tensioner is much finer adjustment then the 850 ratchet type

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#316 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:25 am

do you think that tapping is normal for the cams thats been installed?

I have checked the clearances and they are all in spec. 

I was starting to think am running too much advance at those areas and its pre ignition or something. 

#317 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:14 am

Sounds no different to when it was 70,000 miles ago - remember it does have reprofiled cams. I'm not a great fan of the slackening back of the screws and retightening - with the newer tensioner it shouldn't need it - the 900 tensioner is much finer adjustment then the 850 ratchet type

Excellent point, I completely forgot the 900 uses a different retract prevention mechanism for the tensioner than the 850 has.....all bets are off !

#318 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:37 am

do you think that tapping is normal for the cams thats been installed?

I have checked the clearances and they are all in spec. 

I was starting to think am running too much advance at those areas and its pre ignition or something. 

Did you check them to Kent Cams spec - can't remember what it is to be honest. Difficult to judge from the video clip but I recall there always was a "dry" tapping noise which I put down to the cam ramp profile being amplified through the cam cover

#319 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:50 pm

I did, and the gaps are slightly bigger for the kent cam spec.

Hey if it was like that 70,000 miles ago I will just go with that! 

I might try loading a softer map to see if makes any difference just to see. 

#320 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:40 pm

ya sure the header poipes aren't leaking?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users