#161 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:06 am

Seems to be remarkably frugal on tyre wear.............

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#162 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:55 pm

On front tyre wear you mean.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#163 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:12 am

I should be old enough & wise enough not to be taken in by such shenanigans but he does not seem to be using much clutch..

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#164 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:43 am

I test rode the 07 a while ago. If the engine stays as it is it will be as smooth as you will ever find but for me it lacked some poke. Certainly not in the TDM league there. I would keep the TDM. And it is tinyyyyyyyyy!

It would be a good upgrade for the 660 Ten though.

Rob

#165 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:59 am

I test rode the 07 a while ago. If the engine stays as it is it will be as smooth as you will ever find but for me it lacked some poke. Certainly not in the TDM league there. I would keep the TDM. And it is tinyyyyyyyyy!

It would be a good upgrade for the 660 Ten though.

Rob

Oooh. Lighter, pokier & smoother? Hmmm. Two sets of wheels with mine please.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#166 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:03 pm

Oooh. Lighter, pokier & smoother? Hmmm. Two sets of wheels with mine please.

Lighter and smoother yes, but not pokier, yet. Some way to go there. But not everybody needs all the power. See the A mode on the Tracer. No need really but some people who are used to a lot more power will tell you differently.

Rob

#167 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:39 pm

Lighter and smoother yes, but not pokier, yet. Some way to go there. But not everybody needs all the power. See the A mode on the Tracer. No need really but some people who are used to a lot more power will tell you differently.

Rob

The Tracer felt lighter than the TDM at standstill, yet on paper it isn't. I'd like to get the TDM on a weighbridge, because to me it's always felt heavier than stated. Anyway, a Tracerfied MT-07 will be light, fiesty, economical (70mpg) albeit without the grunt of the TDM. And hopefully it'll have the different fuel mapping modes to iron out any of the TDM type jerkiness. It's the nearest Yamaha could come up with to match what I'm looking for. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#168 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:24 pm

Hows it not pokier?

tracer 115bhp V tdm 900 74bhp  :unsure2:

#169 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:12 pm

Think they're referring to the MT-07 Steve.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#170 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:51 pm

oooppps  :rotflmmfao:  :rotflmmfao:

#171 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:03 pm

Yeash, I was thinkin the MT07 motor over the 660.

A Duke 690 makes similar power to my 8fiddly but is far lighter.

For my riding, weight, or lack of, will trump horsepowers any day in the new bike game.

Despite the huuuuuge array of bikes available now I'm still waiting for the -200kg wet, 100ish hp, 6 speed, TDM replacement. Oh, with a 19" front wheel.

Don't mention BMW.......

As tempting as the Tracer is my head says that I don't ride to it's strengths.

#172 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:21 pm

Muddy, the TDM is about 20kg heavier than the Tracer.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#173 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:55 pm

Muddy, the TDM is about 20kg heavier than the Tracer.

Not according to Yamaha it isn't. The TDM 900 is stated at weighing 190 kg dry according to my Yamaha manual. I can only find one dry weight spec for the Tracer on Visordown @ 190 kg, nothing from Yamaha. But...Yamaha state that the TDM weighs 221 kg wet (full tank) and the Tracer 210 kg. Subtract 2 kg for 2 litres difference in petrol if tanks are less than full and the difference is only 9 kg. Both my TDM and the Tracer were running on less than full and the TDM felt much heavier.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#174 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:39 pm

I see 226 for a TDM with ABS. But as you say in the end there is not a lot of difference. Did the Tracer seem to carry its weight lower?
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#175 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:49 am

Looked at a MT09 today and by the look of it the C of G should be very low. sitting on a tracer during the week it felt like it was carrying it's weight quite low.

The guy I was talking to reckoned it handled and turned like a dream, and showed me where he'd worn away the engine protector whilst cracking on a bit in a corner. The tyres were used right to the edge, so it looks as though it will be quite a ride whatever it's dressed up as.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#176 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:07 pm

I see 226 for a TDM with ABS. But as you say in the end there is not a lot of difference. Did the Tracer seem to carry its weight lower?

I came back to my place with it to show a mate down the block and it was so much easier to manoeuvre than the TDM. If there's only the 10 kg in it, it somehow feels much less. Perhaps the centre of gravity is lower is all I can think. It certainly handles better than the TDM. 

#177 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:53 pm

The Tracer has ABS so the weight difference would then be 14kg. That may not sound much but I can better grasp it in 'old money': just over 2 stone, quite a lot(?). I changed from the TDM for a 4 1/2 stone gain which was very welcome.

#178 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:44 pm

The Tracer has ABS so the weight difference would then be 14kg. That may not sound much but I can better grasp it in 'old money': just over 2 stone, quite a lot(?). I changed from the TDM for a 4 1/2 stone gain which was very welcome.

I think you're getting in a muddle here. ABS comes as standard with the Tracer, so the quoted wet weight is inclusive and correct, as is the quoted wet weight for my TDM without ABS. So to reiterate, the difference in weight with say half a tank of petrol in each (the situation when I tested the Tracer) is 9 kg-- 1.41 stone in old money :putemup:  

Edited by muddy, 16 February 2015 - 03:49 pm.

#179 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:18 pm

Well, no, I am not. All I am pointing out is the like-for-like (only as regards ABS) weight difference but using your fuel adjustment.

#180 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:48 pm

Well, no, I am not. All I am pointing out is the like-for-like (only as regards ABS) weight difference but using your fuel adjustment.

But I wasn't riding like for like. You made a comment to me saying the 9er is 20 kg heavier, which I then explained was incorrect. You were using the spec for a TDM 900A but my bike doesn't have ABS, so my comparison was between my non-ABS TDM and a Tracer. If someone with an TDM 900A wants to make a comparison, that's fine and dandy by me, but the difference between my bike and the Tracer at the time I test rode it was 9 kg according to specifications.

The important thing from my perspective, was that it felt a good deal heavier and more cumbersome than the Tracer, when, on paper at least, there's not that much between them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users