39 replies to this topic

#1 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:16 am

Hi all, had a problem a while ago with this Winders 8.1 load o crap, and Dmmmsta recommended that I changed the OS, well I've tried with no luck. I put my other disc in (XP or Winders 7 pro ) but the bloody thing wont accept either, just keeps telling me theres a problem with installation and to try again. Is it the 8.1 stopping the overlay as it was or summat else do you think. DONT LIKE 8.! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance PTB

#2 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:11 am

Rich, Happy New Year mate, would think that your windows 7 disc needs a clean install so need to start with an formatted hard drive.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#3 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:25 am

With UEFI it's important to take certain steps when installing a new OS.

If you have a laptop or smartphone, try following a guide, like this one:

http://uk.pcmag.com/...windows-7-on-yo

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#4 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:58 am

I keep telling you guys, ditch windows and load Linux.
No virus, no malware, no problem.

Edited by celticbiker, 02 January 2015 - 11:58 am.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,083 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:00 pm

might be because win 8.1 makes the hdd a gpt partition when used with UEFI. I had this problem downgrading to win7 and had to sort out the HDD first then switch the pc to legacy mode in the bios.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#6 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:10 pm

Hi Guys, thanks, Happy New year to you too Graham and everyone else on the Carpe site,  Graham, the new desktop PC i bought came pre-installed so if I take it off would this void my guarantee??? Muddy and Leehenty, WTF is UEFI?? Bit green with PC's lads and celticbiker, I have enough problems with any OS without trying to learn and use a new one mate, Makes my head boil all this tech crap.

Ta boys

#7 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:22 pm

Hi Guys, thanks, Happy New year to you too Graham and everyone else on the Carpe site,  Graham, the new desktop PC i bought came pre-installed so if I take it off would this void my guarantee??? Muddy and Leehenty, WTF is UEFI?? Bit green with PC's lads and celticbiker, I have enough problems with any OS without trying to learn and use a new one mate, Makes my head boil all this tech crap.

Ta boys

If you don't feel confident to navigate bios and format a drive, you're probably either going to have to find someone or hire someone to do it for you. Installing a new OS isn't the most difficult task in the world, but it can throw up a few problems. 

That said, installing Ubuntu is easy enough and compatible with most hardware these days and it will happily install alongside Windows 8 as your default OS. It's also very simple to navigate and use off the bat, unlike the awful Win 8. 

Edited by muddy, 02 January 2015 - 06:23 pm.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#8 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:26 pm

Hi Muddy, I've had Xp since it came out and got totally used to its workings , wish I aint bought this new thing with 8.1 its feckin awful just cant get on with it, apart from that it takes half the hard drive  amount to boot . like you say I might have to get someone to do it for us as I'm not too good at PC stuff and not a lot of patience aswell.

Ta bud

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,083 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:32 pm

you cam make win 8 work more or less like win 7 with classic shell and turn off the metro screen. It's free. I would disable the corners of the screen too or the charms will keep popping in form the side.The menus are all still in win 8.1 just disabled for that silly phone like screen that wants you to use a touch screen.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Edited by leehenty, 02 January 2015 - 07:36 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#10 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:43 pm

you cam make win 8 work more or less like win 7 with classic shell and turn off the metro screen. It's free. I would disable the corners of the screen too or the charms will keep popping in form the side.The menus are all still in win 8.1 just disabled for that silly phone like screen that wants you to use a touch screen.

http://www.classicshell.net/

should do the trick. I'm not too familiar with Windows 7, I've got it, but hardly use it, from the time I've spent on it, it's not too dissimilar to XP though. MS in their wisdom, thought to add a layer to the GUI to make it novice friendly and instead have created a maze for most people. I've been using Windows since 3.1 and the first time I tried to navigate Win 8 I got hopelessly lost. What a cluster feck from Windows, long live Linux!

#11 krispa

krispa

sticking around

• 38 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:46 pm

Is it true that every win 8 is free to downgrade to 7? I have 2 laptops 1st on 7 and 2nd on 8. No need to tell which one is hatted.

#12 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,438 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:03 am

I got myself a laptop about a year ago. It came installed with win7 upgradable to 8, still on 7 and it seems to work well and very similar to good old XP. It's also got XP mode which runs my old XP software for car data etc.

I've also got an older laptop with Ubuntu installed, don't use it for much other than getting data off damaged hard drives. More and more people seem to be going this way and once it gets popular like Apple, (got one of them too), they'll be more virus and malware out there.

Haven't talked to anyone who likes 8 yet. :lol: 

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#13 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,083 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:43 am

win8 works ok on a phone but why they thought it would be a good desktop is beyond me. Years of cascading menus, then this metro thing wtf were they thinking ?

If they wanted to drive away their customer base they have pretty well succeeded. I still run XP on my netbook for the car diagnostic stuff never had a problem. Win7 is good on my main machine, win8.1 they now give away free to the makers of cheap tablets.

Edited by leehenty, 03 January 2015 - 11:43 am.

#14 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:56 am

Hi all, think i'll get in touch with Microsoft and ask if theres an easy way to get back to 7 cos its doin me head in.

Thanks all PTB

#15 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:33 pm

Just been in touch with Microsoft and they said that support has stopped for XP which I knew anyway and If I wanted to pay I could get some tips and a runthru of how to use 8.1 . So i told him I would be selling this machine and buying another one with & or XP on it .

Ta Guys

#16 Bobos

Bobos

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:06 pm

I keep telling you guys, ditch windows and load Linux.
No virus, no malware, no problem.

Wot he said.
We're all going to die, so let's be nice.

#17 mikehit47

mikehit47

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:20 pm

You might find it difficult to get a PC / Laptop with XP nowdays. What I would personally recommend you is Windows 7 (it's more similar to XP than 8.1). But for you not to get frustrated getting the OS on the old hard drive I would recommend getting a SSD (UK Ebay Link), unplug your usual HDD, plug in the SSD and install Windows on it (only with the SSD plugged in), then reconnect the previous HDD and format it completely (or at least the partition that contained previous Windows installations). You will end up having 2 storage devices inside your PC, one that is REALLY FAST (the SSD) for the operating system and one to occupy with data (games, music etc).

You will also notice a BIG increase in daily performance (the PC will boot up in less than 30 seconds, applications installed on the SSD will load almost instantly, no more stupid waiting time for the PC to finish indexing stuff etc)

Good luck!

If you fall, I'll be there

-Ground

#18 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:15 pm

Just been in touch with Microsoft and they said that support has stopped for XP which I knew anyway and If I wanted to pay I could get some tips and a runthru of how to use 8.1 . So i told him I would be selling this machine and buying another one with & or XP on it .

Ta Guys

How come you couldn't secure a rollback to Win7?

#19 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:49 am

Hi all, had a problem a while ago with this Winders 8.1 load o crap, and Dmmmsta recommended that I changed the OS, well I've tried with no luck. I put my other disc in (XP or Winders 7 pro ) but the bloody thing wont accept either, just keeps telling me theres a problem with installation and to try again. Is it the 8.1 stopping the overlay as it was or summat else do you think. DONT LIKE 8.! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance PTB

Must admit I hated windows 8 when I first go it but now I have no problems. My laptop starts up and I choose the "normal" desktop. If you need to you can easily pin the apps cuts to the toolbar. 

Go into the tile view.

Right click on the tile

Click on the pin to toolbar

You'll see it added to the bottom toolbar. 

This way you will rarely need to use the tiles.

#20 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:20 pm

Tyredngrumpee, all he asked for was an original disc or authentication code from me, never offered a rrollback mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users