39 replies to this topic

#21 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:27 pm

Tyredngrumpee, all he asked for was an original disc or authentication code from me, never offered a rrollback mate.

You may be  entitled to one. It was an option back when machines were not leaving the stores fast enough. Like now.

Google.

#22 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:48 pm

Cheers for that bud, I will get back in touch.

#23 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:37 pm

Most of the PCs with the option of win 7/ win 8 were from the time when win 8 was launched so that people who got older stock with win 7 installed could get win 8. My understanding is that if you want windows 7 then buy it, wipe your win 8 install completely and install win 7.

#24 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:49 pm

Could well come to that TKH, wont be long I know that , 8 is pants

#25 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:02 am

Most of the PCs with the option of win 7/ win 8 were from the time when win 8 was launched so that people who got older stock with win 7 installed could get win 8. My understanding is that if you want windows 7 then buy it, wipe your win 8 install completely and install win 7.

This is correct.

Turns out though that there are no guarantees.

First hurdle. BIOS settings.

The next main hurdle once you've installed a version of Windows 7 is getting your hardware working.

????????????????

Because the hardware you have may not have drivers for Windows 7.

Alternatively, you could try this thing called Classic Shell.

I believe the idea is that it gives you a degree of functionality that you would be used to with Win7 without unistalling Win8.

It's supposed to meet you half way. You learn more about Win8 whilst using it and may even get to the stage where you are happy to return to using Win8.

Suggest you don't rush out and buy a Win7 license now. It's not a guaranteed one shot fix and may require further efforts on your part.

If your machine is running Win8.1 it looks like you will be offered Win10 for free in about 8/9 months time.

Edited by TYREDNGRUMPEE, 05 January 2015 - 12:11 am.

#26 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:09 am

This thread is cracking me up.

"Because the hardware you have may not have drivers for Windows 7"

Classic lol

Sorry I can't be more constructive but this is exactly why I ditched windows.

As an analogy, it's the BMW of the computing world.
If it's all you have ever used you don't know how bad it is until you try something that works properly.

Edited by celticbiker, 05 January 2015 - 02:10 am.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#27 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:29 am

This thread is cracking me up.

"Because the hardware you have may not have drivers for Windows 7"

Classic lol

Sorry I can't be more constructive but this is exactly why I ditched windows.

As an analogy, it's the BMW of the computing world.
If it's all you have ever used you don't know how bad it is until you try something that works properly.

It's fear of the unknown, that and decades of sly wheeling and dealing by Windows Corp that's created a monopoly and dependency. It's the same thing with Windows Office, I read people almost go into rapture if Windows Office is thrown in with a PC package. Well Libre Office and other Linux software will do the job fine and for free, yes I said for free. No licenses or yearly subscriptions, like a whole host of decent, functional software, it's available to Linux users for nothing.

There's nothing to fear, really. My mum uses Linux and Libre Office now and she's 86. The bloke down the road who's on so many pills for his mental illness, he walks down the road like a zombie at times, is now running Ubuntu that I installed for him and he's only had one issue in a year that he couldn't sort out himself. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#28 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:10 pm

While the Linux users may scoff at the windows problems, keep in mind that Linux still has a lot less hardware support than windows....

I'm also not ware of any OS that simply lets you go back to an earlier version?

I tried and admittedly like Linux especially because of it's lighter demands on hardware but I feel the environment features are always a bit behind windows. And while application installation and management ease of use has come on leaps and bounds over the years there's still a bit of the old geeekyness to it. I also gave up on the naming for ubuntu releases. - Lucid Lynx, Precise Pangolin, Trusty Tahr, Gutsy Gibbon and of course the one we all know and love Jaunty Jackalope.....wtf? 

#29 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:21 pm

This is correct.

Turns out though that there are no guarantees.

First hurdle. BIOS settings.

The next main hurdle once you've installed a version of Windows 7 is getting your hardware working.

????????????????

Because the hardware you have may not have drivers for Windows 7.

Alternatively, you could try this thing called Classic Shell.

I believe the idea is that it gives you a degree of functionality that you would be used to with Win7 without unistalling Win8.

It's supposed to meet you half way. You learn more about Win8 whilst using it and may even get to the stage where you are happy to return to using Win8.

Suggest you don't rush out and buy a Win7 license now. It's not a guaranteed one shot fix and may require further efforts on your part.

If your machine is running Win8.1 it looks like you will be offered Win10 for free in about 8/9 months time.

Nice spot. That has promise as a half way house, on the face of it. Wonder how easy and cleanly it de-installs if needs be? Must admit I'd sooner try a new shell rather than a new OS first.

#30 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:11 pm

I'd love to run Unbuntu Linux all the time, but my car diagnostics kit refuses to play ball in wine. Can't see the usb- serial converter properly.

I wheel out the XP netbook for car stuff.

The classic shell sorts out most of win 8.1's  idiotic crap, sorry features.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#31 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:33 am

Yeah gave up on wine.
I now run virtual machine with windows 7 in it.
My main os is peppermint 5 but I have mint 15, Ubuntu, puppy and zorin running in the vm.

#32 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:50 am

Yeah gave up on wine.
I now run virtual machine with windows 7 in it.
My main os is peppermint 5 but I have mint 15, Ubuntu, puppy and zorin running in the vm.

I never give up.

#33 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:09 pm

Just as an aside, for anyone who's used to Linux and you've got a laptop or netbook that's getting on a bit, give Crunchbang a try, it'll bring it back to life. It's my favourite distro by far for everything that isn't a desktop PC. It's super fast, has a very smart and minimalistic desktop and has recognised all of my hardware off the bat. I've just installed it as a dual boot on a 2nd hand Lenovo Thinkpad, having installed Win 7 this morning. On Win 7 I had to download drivers from Lenovo in order to try to get everything up and running, but I still haven't got WLAN sorted, on Crunchbang it's all tickerty boo, first install.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#34 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:14 pm

Dats da bunny right there.
People will always cite compatability issues with Linux but it's not the case.
The only time you might get a problem is with printers.
and Acer aspire ones.

#35 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:42 pm

Dats da bunny right there.
People will always cite compatability issues with Linux but it's not the case.
The only time you might get a problem is with printers.
and Acer aspire ones.

The Acer Aspire, arrrrrghhh.

#36 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:07 am

I've built and worked with PCs since the beginning, I still build the odd gaming rig, used to build high end video edit systems, not just bolt them together, spec, build, install and tutor companies like MTV/Sky/Mira etc, anyway days gone by, years back I used to work in PCB schematic design, it was all UNIX, Linux has never really interested me but I should give it a go, being involved in IT for so long (bikes in the side but they sort of swapped round) I still get dragged into some support for local companies even now, mostly networking etc, well that and CCTV, they kind of all go together... What's my point.. Windows 8 was the killer for me, after so long I have grown to hate the social media driven multi platform OS! Windows 8 is indeed CRAP, BUT as said drivers are a major issue as they are no longer developed for older OS (drivers may not be an issue for Linux but support for certain lumps of equipment such as my large format printers is), Windows XP was solid as is Window 7 64 for me, I am also a photographer on the side and have my digital darkroom where I edit and print my photos, the Epson large format 3880 I have locks me into certain vers of Windows and my Mac.
Last year was a turning point, I have dozens of PCs on my network in the yard including a good number of laptops, most of them are a nightmare, slow, poor screens, poor user control, my top of the line Toshiba Satilite 8200 has become old, don't we all, but the time had come to buy another tech head notebook, after seeing all the crap that gets peddled out of PC world daily I was reluctant to buy one myself, most are naff!, anyway, long story...as an age old PC user I got myself a MacBook Pro, I use it dual boot with 7 64 and for general day to day work as a Mac, email, paperwork, imaging, loads more, it's stable, rips on the net and I have grown to love it, seems Windows 8 has even driven thise who love Windows away :( I still love my PCs big time and high end gaming rigs are on another planet now, with up to 96gb ram and 4 fat GPUs they now cost 10 grand or more, you've got to be keen!

Anyway pointless post from me haha

Good luck with your problem.

Edited by arthurbikemad, 08 January 2015 - 08:40 am.

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#37 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:11 pm

The Acer Aspire, arrrrrghhh.

Arrrrrrrrghh indeed!!

#38 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:16 pm

I've built and worked with PCs since the beginning, I still build the odd gaming rig, used to build high end video edit systems, not just bolt them together, spec, build, install and tutor companies like MTV/Sky/Mira etc, anyway days gone by, years back I used to work in PCB schematic design, it was all UNIX, Linux has never really interested me but I should give it a go, being involved in IT for so long (bikes in the side but they sort of swapped round) I still get dragged into some support for local companies even now, mostly networking etc, well that and CCTV, they kind of all go together... What's my point.. Windows 8 was the killer for me, after so long I have grown to hate the social media driven multi platform OS! Windows 8 is indeed CRAP, BUT as said drivers are a major issue as they are no longer developed for older OS (drivers may not be an issue for Linux but support for certain lumps of equipment such as my large format printers is), Windows XP was solid as is Window 7 64 for me, I am also a photographer on the side and have my digital darkroom where I edit and print my photos, the Epson large format 3880 I have locks me into certain vers of Windows and my Mac.
Last year was a turning point, I have dozens of PCs on my network in the yard including a good number of laptops, most of them are a nightmare, slow, poor screens, poor user control, my top of the line Toshiba Satilite 8200 has become old, don't we all, but the time had come to buy another tech head notebook, after seeing all the crap that gets peddled out of PC world daily I was reluctant to buy one myself, most are naff!, anyway, long story...as an age old PC user I got myself a MacBook Pro, I use it dual boot with 7 64 and for general day to day work as a Mac, email, paperwork, imaging, loads more, it's stable, rips on the net and I have grown to love it, seems Windows 8 has even driven thise who love Windows away :( I still love my PCs big time and high end gaming rigs are on another planet now, with up to 96gb ram and 4 fat GPUs they now cost 10 grand or more, you've got to be keen!

Anyway pointless post from me haha

Good luck with your problem.

I don't mind macs it's just the price and the hook in to Apple. If they were a more sensible price I think they'd be many peoples laptop of choice.

#39 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:40 pm

Defo overpriced! Think I was brain washed after so many years sat on the sofa surfing with the iPad!
2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#40 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:00 pm

So

Classic Shell worked awesome for me.

Made me wonder why Microsoft bothered with Windows 8.1 in the first place.

Updating now to Windows 10 Technical Preview. It's the same thing really. I'll let you know how I get on.

First thing it says is.............

Hi,

We're setting up things for you

LOL

EDIT

I would say that Windows 8.1 using the Classic Shell overlay is a better experience than the Win10 offering atm.

Edited by TYREDNGRUMPEE, 17 February 2015 - 01:13 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users