24 replies to this topic

#21 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:08 am

I hate compounds like Autosol for metal but understand why people use it, for a start if you have no other method what else can you use?  I do a fair bit of polishing of stainless and alloy, I use high speed mops and soaps, check out thepolishingshop.co.uk for guids and gear.

Problem with chemical polishes like Autosol is they fill the microscopic holes in the alloy and then react with moisture in the air, that or condensation that forms on the surface, alloy is like a mountain landscape at microscopic level and the valleys in between the peaks trap whatever you use to clean or polish it, if you have to use autosol then be sure to use some plain turtle wax to fully clean it off once done, this can be seen as when cleaning it off at some point the cloth with stop going black, once done it will last 10x longer before the dreaded white fur appears that autosol etc create as it eats into the alloy, once that happens you have twice the work to fix it again, Autosol etc are like heroin to alloy!

All my polishing is mops and soaps and nothing more other than a coat of quality wax to seal it off.

Some examples of my work.

Foto-3JRFIIQV.jpg

Foto-3XNHPDDC.jpg

edit-0739.jpg?w=474&h=267

I do a good few of these Termi systems, HATE doing them!

edit-4292.jpg?w=474&h=316

edit-4291.jpg?w=474&h=372

edit-4296.jpg?w=474

05012010611.jpg?w=474

polishing.jpg?w=474

Its a dirty stinking nasty job and hard work, I do all I can to avoid it!  If you want any tips just ask, not that there are any other than keep going!!

Sorry for all the pics, just thought you may like to see, the XJR is mine, fully polished.

For paintwork I use Zymol and Supernatural from cleanyourcar.co.uk great site :)

edit-4665.jpg?w=474

Looks great on my Duc :) and this old Honda ;)

Foto-EI7L4JMH.jpg

Edited by arthurbikemad, 14 February 2015 - 10:09 am.

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#22 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:46 am

I  use Mr Sheen. :huh:

#23 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:27 pm

I have now collected all my tools polishing mops compounds etc.
Just trying to work up the enthusiasm and also the energy.

Might just try the Mr. Sheen method.

#24 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:29 am

Might just try the Mr. Sheen method.

I tried that but the little bloke won't come out the can.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#25 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:35 am

My brother in law and he says most of his friends use this on their Harley chrome.

0211407_l.jpg

2002 TDM900 Yellow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users