58 replies to this topic

#1 tomwal

tomwal

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:48 pm

I had my first look at one of these in my local dealer. Based on this impression I am not sure if I am going to
bother with a test ride. It just didn't look like my sort of bike. It looks very small and almost insubstantial compared to a TDM. It also looked a bit tacky it was blue and silver and had blue fork stanchions. It also has that bitty, angular look that is fashionable at the moment - There are lots of sharp corners etc and the handguards look as though they are just for show. Maybe I was expecting too much and it will grow on me but its appearance is pretty uninspiring. It is strange because I liked the the unfaired MT09 when I first saw it and I still think it looks nicer than the Tracer. I am pleased in a way that I am not tempted to trade in the TDM and spend more money.

I wonder what other people think.

#2 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:54 pm

IT IS POO !

Best bit on the bike is the indicators which are off the TDM.

Missed opportunity by Yam, could have done a street / tourer to replace the TDM and they have created a flop !

:punishment:

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#3 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:06 pm

FFS if I judged a bike by it's looks I wouldn't be riding a Yelow TDM now!!! And it beats me how a bike can be a flop if it's just arrived in the showrooms??? And without riding a bike how anyone can make a judgement beats me?? I bought my bike through MCN classified ads, and travelled to near Grantham from Scotland to pick it up, and my choice was all based on the memory of the  test ride I had on one 18 month previous! Have a go first before bashing out opinions on the keyboard :good:

Edited by jono49, 15 February 2015 - 10:46 pm.

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#4 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:31 pm

Really? :unsure2:

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#5 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:01 am

If I was (lets say) mid twenties I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

I'm not, so I won't.

I don't have be striking sparks on the corners and riding it like I stole it, to get my jollies from biking (any more), which is what I think the MT09 is aimed at.

My 9er will do that anyway.

The  Tracer is perhaps a more user friendly nod towards the community of bikers that have been there done that, survived relatively intact and 'calmed down' a bit.

Every manufacturer has to have a lightweight tourer these days, so we get this.

You did ask. :lol:

Edited by TDMick, 16 February 2015 - 01:02 am.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#6 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:02 am

My view in life is not to criticise before being in full possession of the facts! I have absolutely loved my 900, for the reasons we all know and I'm on my second one with 35K on the clock. However, it has become a little too unwieldy for me in the last few years whereas the Tracer is lighter, carries its weight a little lower, has ABS and is generally well equipped. I will not be riding it in "A" mode with the throttle against the stop so the power is immaterial. As for the looks, well beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder, and I don't think it looks too shabby and the red one looks positively smart. Unless it turns out to be a dog when I test ride one, then my order will be going in soon.

Anyone want to make an offer on my 08 Niner?

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:17 am

FFS if I judged a bike by it's looks I wouldn't be riding a Yelow TDM now!!! And it beats me how a bike can be a flop if it's just arrived in the showrooms??? And without riding a bike how anyone can make a judgement beats me?? I bought my bike through MCN classified ads, and travelled to near Grantham from Scotland to pick it up, and my choice was all based on the memory of the  test ride I had on one 18 month previous! Have a go first before bashing out opinions on the keyboard :good:

To be fair to Ivan, the OP didn't ask for opinions based on having ridden the bike and Ivan gave his honest opinion.  Seems the OP hasn't ridden the bike either but you didn't slate him for that. :unsure2:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 timoc

timoc

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:33 am

I took one out for an hour on Saturday, and loved it, the TDM is a great bike, the Tracer just felt better in every way. If the Tracer hadn't been made, I would have been more than happy with the TDM, but things move on.

No more a TDM owner :sorry: moved on to the Tracer :)

#9 Trotski

Trotski

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:25 am

burn the heritic

Trotski

All ways remember, A Pessimist Is Never Disappointed

'98 CT200P AutoAg , '93 Purple Kawasaki ZZR 250, 2004 Black Kawasaki ZZR 250 2005 Black Kawasaki ZZR 250
1999 Baltic Blue TDM 850 2010 Black TDM900

#10 Retro

Retro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:51 am

Designed to attract the younger motorcycle enthusiast, 'fraid yamaha wont be getting my custom again

I never ride faster than my angel can fly

#11 tomwal

tomwal

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:22 pm

Nobody said anything about the bike being a flop - it has been very well reviewed and will no doubt sell very well.
I didn't judge the bike - I was just giving an opinion on its looks - One of the purposes of a forum is to "bash out" opinions. It may be very good to ride and If I do try one and even buy it - I may still never be that keen one how it looks. The same way you bought and own a TDM in spite of it being yellow.
By the way - Well done on travelling from Scotland to Grantham - that is some some journey.

#12 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:44 pm

I fell in love with the Tracer after riding it for the first mile. But I agree there are a few bits I don't like either. The hand guards look silly and need to be replaced with something seriously, the angles are all in fashion and there are a lot of them, and  the blue does not suit it at all. You forgot the mirrors which show nothing but your arms. And it really is that small. A mode is sooo not needed on this bike. And the screen wobbles a bit, but works.

BUT, and that is a big BUT, in comparison to the Tracer the TDM is a dinosaur, a mighty beast that is slowly dying out, everybody will look back and say:' remember that one? These were real bikes back then!' And they may be right. Only time will tell.

I understand people's love and protection for the TDM. I am the same with a 600 Ten. Love it to bits, then got a 660 Ten and couldn't believe how much better it was. Still, the 660 is gone and the old 600 is still in my garage.

Everybody likes dinosaurs, we just have to pick the one for us. If yours is the TDM, good for you. But another time has come, other beasts are filling the voids left by the dinosaurs. Live and let live. Be proud of what you got.

And I am not young, still I am attracted to the Tracer. I am not a racer and I am not looking for sparks when I am riding. I still want a Tracer. Simply because it is so good. Ride it and you might just understand where we are coming from.

Thanks for reading my sermon

Rob

#13 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:49 pm

Amen.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:00 pm

So that's why the mk1 appeals to my inner neanderthal ! :P

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#15 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:43 pm

I fell in love with the Tracer after riding it for the first mile. But I agree there are a few bits I don't like either. The hand guards look silly and need to be replaced with something seriously, the angles are all in fashion and there are a lot of them, and  the blue does not suit it at all. You forgot the mirrors which show nothing but your arms. And it really is that small. A mode is sooo not needed on this bike. And the screen wobbles a bit, but works.

BUT, and that is a big BUT, in comparison to the Tracer the TDM is a dinosaur, a mighty beast that is slowly dying out, everybody will look back and say:' remember that one? These were real bikes back then!' And they may be right. Only time will tell.

I understand people's love and protection for the TDM. I am the same with a 600 Ten. Love it to bits, then got a 660 Ten and couldn't believe how much better it was. Still, the 660 is gone and the old 600 is still in my garage.

Everybody likes dinosaurs, we just have to pick the one for us. If yours is the TDM, good for you. But another time has come, other beasts are filling the voids left by the dinosaurs. Live and let live. Be proud of what you got.

And I am not young, still I am attracted to the Tracer. I am not a racer and I am not looking for sparks when I am riding. I still want a Tracer. Simply because it is so good. Ride it and you might just understand where we are coming from.

Thanks for reading my sermon

Rob

See, when I read this I have one nagging question: what attracted you to the TDM in the first place? Is it that you've never ridden a high performance bike before and was seduced by the power? These two bikes are totally different. I mean I see the Tracer as closer to the FZ8 than anything else in the Yamaha stable and you could've had one of them a few years ago.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#16 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:27 pm

Sorry,

It Looks Poo and will probably be a flop.

Lets see it in 20 years time ......... :tdown:

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#17 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:27 pm

Muddy

what attracted me to the TDM in the first place was the thought of a bike I can gracefully grow old with. It was supposed to be the last one. I liked the thought of pondering around on endless trips and holidays on a do it all bike. And the TDM did not disappoint. I even had an XJ6 for a while. I found myself speeding and hunting bigger bikes. I did not like it. The TDM  calmed all that. And I enjoyed almost every moment on the TDM. I was very content. My wife even came on rides now and felt relatively safe. Then I rode the Tracer and realized that you can ride her in just as a relaxed way but much easier and in a much more stable manner. The only other bikes who can do that are enduros ( does one still use that term??) but they are far from stable. I keep repeating that the A mode should not be on the Tracer. Wrong bike and not needed. And I certainly would not use it on a regular basis.

If I could keep the TDM as well I would, the wifey certainly prefers it. But one bike has to go. Who knows, it may bring out the chaser again but there is only one way to find out. If that is the case I know what the cure is. Its certainly not what I want.

Rob

#18 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:43 pm

I'd have one. The TDM never was cutting edge - just a reliable plodder and hasn't really moved with the times. This triple is a cracking engine, I loved it in the MT09 - better than the Triumph 800 and the rest of it seems pretty good too.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#19 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:35 pm

I'd have one. The TDM never was cutting edge - just a reliable plodder and hasn't really moved with the times. This triple is a cracking engine, I loved it in the MT09 - better than the Triumph 800 and the rest of it seems pretty good too.

Yeah, but you're a known hoon :badgerrock:

Muddy

what attracted me to the TDM in the first place was the thought of a bike I can gracefully grow old with. It was supposed to be the last one. I liked the thought of pondering around on endless trips and holidays on a do it all bike. And the TDM did not disappoint. I even had an XJ6 for a while. I found myself speeding and hunting bigger bikes. I did not like it. The TDM  calmed all that. And I enjoyed almost every moment on the TDM. I was very content. My wife even came on rides now and felt relatively safe. Then I rode the Tracer and realized that you can ride her in just as a relaxed way but much easier and in a much more stable manner. The only other bikes who can do that are enduros ( does one still use that term??) but they are far from stable. I keep repeating that the A mode should not be on the Tracer. Wrong bike and not needed. And I certainly would not use it on a regular basis.

If I could keep the TDM as well I would, the wifey certainly prefers it. But one bike has to go. Who knows, it may bring out the chaser again but there is only one way to find out. If that is the case I know what the cure is. Its certainly not what I want.

Rob

OK, I'm with you apart from the fact that I DO think A mode is suited to the bike. To me, with the back set pegs and leaning in riding position, the Tracer shouts hybrid sports bike and begs to be ridden hard, rather than anything I'd wanna tour on. But that's my judgement. Lets wait and see how people get on with it.

#20 not2fast

not2fast

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:37 pm

Got a lot of love and respect for my old TDM, but after test riding the Tracer today gotta say the new kid on the block spanks the TDM in most departments in my book. The engine is a screamer. Had it shaking it's head on hard acceleration n wheelied off the throttle in 3rd. Lotsa fun there to be had when the mood takes. At the same time it was silky smooth n effortless when you just wanted to watch the world go by. Gear changing was infrequent. Low speed town riding manners were good. Breaks work very well. Handles sweet n the bike is so very light. Great value having Abs, Tc, adjustable screen, informative clocks with gear selector n whatever, centre stand, etc, etc, as standard. Ergos were a liitle better for me on my TDM n a little better if it really really matters is ya gonna get more miles to the gallon n tank with the TDM. Other than the last 2 things in the TDM'S favour m maybe styling n heritage, can't see another reason for not appreciating this new alrounder? Well maybe the spendy money bit don't help... ;-) Things have moved on n for once happily and unexpectedly in my opinion for the better... I always like me twins, but can now say triples ain't so bad after all..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users