19 replies to this topic

#1 MalS7

MalS7

sticking around

• 36 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:28 am

Hi folks,

I've jumped in and bought a dazzling bright yellow 2002 TDM900, sight unseen. The price was right and it was from a friend of a friend so not that chancey.

Flew to Melbourne to collect and has a wonderful Autumn ride home via the beautiful Victorian mountains. Been riding for over 30 years but this is my first 'modern' bike. Tubeless tyres and fuel injection and a frame that don't flex. What a bloody revelation!

Loved the ride, it handles well in the sweepers but its a handful in the tight stuff. Get past a certain lean and it felt powerfully like it just wasn't having any more of that. I guess that's the understeer I read about.

Its got 70 thousand kms on it so I think the suspension is due for a refresh. Its OK for freeway work but not the shite roads around here.

I'm just getting familiar with the forum and all the valuable knowledge to be mined. I can see why everyone's so passionate about this luvverly motor.

cheers

Mal

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:25 am

Greetings, I hope it grows on you.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:58 am

Welcome to the club Mal.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:49 pm

how ya and welcome Mal.  Do some research on the forum re; suspension settings/modifications.  You cud always fit a 17'' front wheel to help quicken tings up a bit.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:15 pm

:welcome:

#6 davytdm

davytdm

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:20 pm

welcome 😎

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:45 pm

Hi Mal the bike's fine on the shite roads, you just gotta sing to her matey  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:32 pm

If you're experiencing understeer, drop it down a gear just the push the bars harder! TDM's are as good as anything on the twisties but any bike is only as good as its tyres so check the date on them and the pressures.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#9 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:12 pm

Welcome to our world mate - I hope you're ready to be bitten by the TDM bug. Once the little blighter has got its teeth into you it will not let go!

#10 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,163 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:49 pm

Welcome, any piccies of the bike ?

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#11 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:42 pm

Welcome, any piccies of the bike ?

+1 :good: 

#12 MalS7

MalS7

sticking around

• 36 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:06 am

Boxerworkers%20Mansfield%202017%20004_zp

Did that pic posting work? I have a relentless kitten attacking this keyboard.

Thanks for the welcome fellas! I like the tips, sing to it and swing off the bars. Gotcha!

Later

Mal

#13 dablik

dablik

• 10,754 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:08 pm

Nice bike indeed, some people think yella's the fastest but, that's only cos they never rode a silver  ;)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#14 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:16 pm

Welcome mate, very nice bike.

You'll be amazed by its riding range & reliability.

Nothing to compare to a Ducati for instance !

Nice bike indeed, some people think yella's the fastest but, that's only cos they never rode a silver  ;)

Can't agree more : my first 9er was a yellow one !

top_640.png

#15 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:09 pm

Hello. You'll struggle not to like the bike.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#16 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:20 pm

Congrats on your new to you steed. Looks lovely and yellow is quicker....

What tires does it have? I had contis on my 850 a few years ago and they had a peculiar trait of only leaning so far and then stopping, that's what it felt like anyway. I could lean further but it required more counter steering to do so. Felt weird.

All the roads round here are tight and twisty, lots of 25-35 kmh posted corners, hundreds in fact. The TDM's don't change direction like a mozzie in a fly swat factory, holding the front brake on into a corner exacerbates this and feels like understeer. Scalloping the front tire can be a sign of this.

I've found flowing into a corner and late apexing to be the smoothest way through the twisties, trail braking, using a touch of rear brake into a corner helps a lot to get the bike on it's ear but should be treated with caution. It's taken a lot of practice for me to get some feel of the rear brake. A lot of motogymkhana practice...

Any hoo. Good buying, have fun!

Oh, I've dropped the fork yokes about 10mm on my bike. A common mod which makes a subtle difference.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#17 MalS7

MalS7

sticking around

• 36 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:11 pm

Love the yellow, The glow lights up my helmet. And the striped wheels is a nice touch too, did they only do that on the 02 model?

The way you describe your handling with Contis is just how this feels. I found a bit of muscle and a touch of back brake got me through, but yes I was reminding myself not to get too habituated with that brake lest I end up on the deck.

It's shod with Pirelli Angel GT. Front is 50% and the back is practically worn out. New tyre, fork springs and shock are on the shopping list.

What's the opinion of fork springs? Linear rate or progressive or does it make no difference?

Cheers
Mal

#18 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:05 am

Love the yellow, The glow lights up my helmet. And the striped wheels is a nice touch too, did they only do that on the 02 model?

The way you describe your handling with Contis is just how this feels. I found a bit of muscle and a touch of back brake got me through, but yes I was reminding myself not to get too habituated with that brake lest I end up on the deck.

It's shod with Pirelli Angel GT. Front is 50% and the back is practically worn out. New tyre, fork springs and shock are on the shopping list.

What's the opinion of fork springs? Linear rate or progressive or does it make no difference?

Cheers
Mal

I can't comment on fork springs, mine have only had the oil changed and I'm probably to incompetent to notice suspension subtleties. Interestin that your on the Pirellis, I'm considering those when my T30's need replacing. I suspect it will be like night and day with new rubber.

No doubt one of the Master Tinkerers will help with your spring question.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#19 dablik

dablik

• 10,754 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:24 am

I recently had this conversation with the owner of M shock cos i bought one and i was told, progressive up front for Road and Linear for track as track surface is much smoother than road, he also stated that "hyperpro" were the best in his opinion..........so dont shoot the messenger  :)

The lines on your wheels were put on by a PO Mal as they come without from the factory.

Angel GT are the dogs danglies for me, bet new rubber sorts most of your issues and like Harv say's, drop the bike through the front yokes 10mm or shove a 17" on the front..

Happy Tdming.

#20 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:58 am

Ther standard springs are dual rate (sharp blended) which puts them somewhere between straight linear and progressive. The average user might not notice a change from that to progressive. A track user might nott want progressives, prefering the predictable linear action. A well groomed skilled track rider on the road might well prefer progressives because they iron out a lot of the surface variations (not experienced on tracks) and have a gradually increasing response to more intense compressions, such as riding over larger undulations at speed (with the damping holding off the rebound.

I push quite hard on the road (nothing like a track rider though) and find the standard mixed/dual rate springs to be adequate. I was considering progressives for my mk2, but the spring length of the mk2 is huge compared to the 9er's.

Before changing springs on the 9 at least try turning the spring preload to maximum and using fresh slightly heavier weight oil, the front preload adjuster has a more noticeable effect on the 9er than the mk2 due to the more compact, stronger spring in the 9er. The 9er springs allow a lot of sag (for comfort) but can be quite good set for minimum sag

Regardless of the springs you would feel very little improvement if the rest of the suspension is badly set up.

The best thing to do first, is to turn back all damping front and back and then set static sag with the preload adjusters (I'm going to set my 9er up at the weekend for 25mm sag front and 30mm sag rear). Then introduce rebound damping enough to allow just one bounce at the front and back ends when you heave up and down on the frame,(If the frame wants to bounce down again after heaving it upwards then there simply isn't enough rebound damping and the shock needs work)...on the rebound the rise should feel controlled as you lift up on the frame.

Then introduce compression damping to suit the surface you're riding on. This would be a good setup for a smooth track with some strong undulations (or fast good roads)....for less spirited riding you can drop the rebound and compression back for a more comfortable ride, but once sag has been set you shouldn't need to change it, unless it is to adjust ride height. (The spring preload adjusters don't adjust the amount of springing, only the ride height)

Once you've got the basic ride height and compression/rebound damping sorted the difference will be huge (over a poor setup), If after that you still need that bit of extra comfort at the front then you could try the progressive springs.

I'm only going to town with this response because last weekend I had 2 interesting conversations - 1 local biker I gave a lift to , to buy a secondhand Fazer. He loved it, the rear shock was nakered and he said "It's so lovely and smooth.....when I pushed down hard at the back and lifted my hand off the seat quickly the seat was always in contact with my hand...no rebound damping, so that means that when the back end hits a large bump in the road the suspension will compress hard and fast and then without rebound damping the energy in the spring will be quickly unleashed and throw the seat up, making the bike unstable....that upward momentum could also make the rear wheel lift off the ground.

The other chat was with a guy who was so light he couldn't get enough sag on his bike because the previous heavy owner had fitted a stronger rear spring....He mistakenly thoguht that the preload adjuster made the spring softer, so he wound off all the preload at the rear and had to turn compression damping right down to allow the back wheel to come up enough over bumps, but again he was having a bumpy ride.

I used to have the same issues until someone took the time to explain the way forward to me, in this order

1) set sag front and back with preload adjusters, on a bike with 50/50 weight balance set the front sag to be about 75-85% of the rear sag (If you can't achieve this sag you have the wrong springs for your body weight)

2) set rebound damping, enough to tame the spring rebound so that the rear and the front rise steadily at about the same rate (If the rising rate after bouncing the seat down is too fast then the shock/forks are dead)

3) set compression damping for best feel over the road surface - usually a similar number of 'clicks' on the compression adjuster from maximum, as the rebound adjuster is a good start, and then slowly reduce that for the most comfortable/responsive setup for you. (if the bike still feels bouncy the shock/forks are dead)

But then thats when the real science begins, because you need to look at the rear tyre wear patterns to fine tune the suspension. but by this point you will have suspension already at 90% at it's best setup, and because roads vary so much there might not be much point :)

There are many other ways to set up suspension, this is just one that has worked for me :)

Edited by fixitsan, 28 April 2017 - 10:08 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users