Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:39 am

They'd be MPs.  :lol:

:rotflmmfao: :rotflmmfao: :rotflmmfao:

The other thing which I recently learned about (nothing to do with MP's)....do you remember a couple of years ago, when there was a 'Pokemon Go' craze, where kids , and adults alike, downloaded an app on their phone and chased augmented reality Pokemon characters ?

That turned out to be a marketing exercise, where business owners could purchase 'lures' from the Pokemon game which would appear in their premises, to encourage 'footfall' to their establishment. A business owner paid $0.99 for each lure, and a survey showed that 60% of players hung around at that business because of the lure (which has a lifetime of 30 minutes), hoping a game character would show up. The average spend of the players in the business was around $11. Great for business !

It's a free game now, and,Just like before, it's free because you're the product. It wasn't free at the start though.... It was developed by Niantic, a Google company, with a third of costs and revenues attributed to Nintendo.

By 2016 it had made Niantic $740 million, and had boosted Nintendo's share price by a similar amount, It made about $1.6 million per day on the app store (averaged)

All that came at relatively low cost, Nintendo took their licence fee, Google already had the maps and Streetview data, they only needed to develop the mobile app for the phones, which, is very cheap because lots of young programmers believe that phone apps are the way to a fast buck and so they work for virtually nothing !

In the end, people get a bit wise and fads like that fall by the wayside, but what comes next ?  :hide:

Edited by fixitsan, 24 February 2021 - 08:45 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#42 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:56 am

Promise me you won't take it up North on the NC500, or up the Bealach na Bà, and avoid single-tracks as much as possible!

Hahaha no. We once hired one of those little Mazda Bongo vans and did a UK tour when my daughter was young. I think I could just about hang the KTM off the back so that's probably only as large as I would want to go !

#43 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:27 am

Not all businesses paid for pokemon go spots, there was a pokemon gym in the garden of my local pub and the landlord hated it, he kept getting kids wandering through the pub, I doubt many of them became customers after old grumpy bollocks had tackled them, he didn't do user friendly....

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#44 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:59 am

Not all businesses paid for pokemon go spots, there was a pokemon gym in the garden of my local pub and the landlord hated it, he kept getting kids wandering through the pub, I doubt many of them became customers after old grumpy bollocks had tackled them, he didn't do user friendly....

Hahaha !

The spots were apparently added by Google, but the product which they sold were the short duration lures, which were in the vicinity of the spots. I don't know all the details, just what I've read, because I never bothered myself about it all in the first !

Apparently Google knows the typing speed of all it's users and is starting to making inferences about it. Someone with a slow speed is assumed to be someone who isn't a tech savvy person, and someone with a high speed is a power user. They want to tap into people's different abilities, slow typers are monitored for their navigation of particular web pages, to help Google sell web site building products more suitable for the novices, and give the fast users web pages which lets them navigate more quickly and intuitively to them. The version of ebay which a slow user see's could end up being different to the page a power user sees (for example). All to 'give the user a better experience' just sell more stuff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users