• Please log in to reply
2136 replies to this topic

#1981 Phatman

Phatman

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:19 pm

It'll burn any variety of M/C oil. Just be sure to check the oil level properly (I'd check mine every 2nd tankful used even though mine wasn't a guzzler).

Cheers. Another thing I’ll have to get used to. I know I keep saying this but in 12 years of VFR ownership not once did I have to top up the oil. 
I had a job trying to find the little window to check the oil with the TDM. You need to hold the bike upright with one hand (no centre stand) whilst shining a torch on the oil level with the other to be able to see properly. I suppose it’s a good thing in a way, you get to spend time with your bike and see other things. 

Edited by Phatman, 10 February 2021 - 10:27 pm.

#1982 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:10 am

And when the oils hot, dont try and check it unless the motors been running for at least 10 mins chap or you will get a false level

Edited by Gdogg, 11 February 2021 - 07:12 am.

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#1983 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,361 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)

Posted 11 February 2021 - 08:09 am

Yeah oil level checking and topping is a TDM failing, you need to have 3 arms and eyes up your ar5e to do it properly, or a usb endoscope hooked to a smartphone tucked in by the tank.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#1984 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,217 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 11 February 2021 - 09:15 am

Of course the superior mk1 has a dipstick. :D

It'll be less of a fuss once you get an idea of how much oil per miles (MPLO) you're using Phats.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#1985 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,361 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 10:34 am

The mk2a also has a dipstick, usually found wearing helmet and gloves....

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

#1986 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,163 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 12:00 pm

See what you did you there , LOL
<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#1987 Phatman

Phatman

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 05:37 pm

And when the oils hot, dont try and check it unless the motors been running for at least 10 mins chap or you will get a false level

CHeers for that.

Of course the superior mk1 has a dipstick. :D

It'll be less of a fuss once you get an idea of how much oil per miles (MPLO) you're using Phats.

I agree

The mk2a also has a dipstick, usually found wearing helmet and gloves....

Haha

#1988 Phatman

Phatman

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 12:13 pm

Just trying to buy some oil. There is a good 5-liter offer at Halfords for £30. It is a standard 10W40, 4 stroke motorcycle oil but upon entering my bike details it says

"This product is not suitable for your vehicle". 

Surely they've got that wrong?

#1989 Dal

Dal

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:59 pm

Hello all,

I hope you are all keeping well.

I have just purchased myself a 2011 TDM900a.

the bike is a temporary replacement for my 2019 BMW F850GS which I sold in December.

The TDM will need a little fettling, (front Folk seals, sticky ignition, possible head bearings etc and a general tidy up.

can anyone recommend a reasonably priced and reliable parts supplier and also any idea where I can get a Service Manual?

Attached Files

#1990 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,361 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:28 pm

Welcome Dal

For manuals try JBX's site here. https://www.tdm-yamaha.heliohost.org/

For parts wemoto are pretty good for service.

You'll find plenty of useful advice here.

#1991 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,120 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:30 pm

Hello dare and welcome.

Parts supplier may depend on what country ewe are in.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#1992 Dal

Dal

arrived on last train

• 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:08 pm

Welcome Dal

For manuals try JBX's site here. https://www.tdm-yamaha.heliohost.org/

For parts wemoto are pretty good for service.

You'll find plenty of useful advice here.

Thank you, I’ll have a look, I’ve already got a few questions, I’ll ask in the appropriate section of the forum.

Hello dare and welcome.

Parts supplier may depend on what country ewe are in.

I’m down South (Essex)

#1993 Sphere

Sphere

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:41 pm

Another vote for Wemoto, having used them a fair bit over the winter, good prices and for me every order arrived next day.

Yambits are good as well as Sportsbikeshop. Fowlers for genuine Yammy parts.

The best thing about being old is we did all our stupid stuff before the Internet was invented, so there’s no proof.

#1994 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,217 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:47 pm

Hi and welcome Dal.  You might wanna get Yamaha fork seals and aftermarket dust covers and bushes if needed.  Some on here have had problems with aftermarket seals.

Fowlers are the main go to for Yamaha parts, Wemoto and Yambits for aftermarket and some OEM stuff, and GNMoto (France) for used, and some new, parts.  Ebay as well of course.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#1995 Dal

Dal

arrived on last train

• 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 10:08 pm

Hi and welcome Dal.  You might wanna get Yamaha fork seals and aftermarket dust covers and bushes if needed.  Some on here have had problems with aftermarket seals.

Fowlers are the main go to for Yamaha parts, Wemoto and Yambits for aftermarket and some OEM stuff, and GNMoto (France) for used, and some new, parts.  Ebay as well of course.

thank you for the advise, I’ll get some Yamaha seals 

#1996 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 March 2021 - 08:54 am

Welcome Dal, you might find your temp replacement becomes a bit more permanent  :) wot they all said up above re parts..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#1997 Dal

Dal

arrived on last train

• 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:04 am

Welcome Dal, you might find your temp replacement becomes a bit more permanent  :) wot they all said up above re parts..

I hope your right about the permanent replacement, it would save me at least £11,000. Although I would probably learn from this one and the buy a lower mileage model

#1998 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,163 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 01:36 pm

Mileage not usually the issue chap it’s all down to how it’s been looked after (or abused !!) by the previous owners, TDM’s love a bit of TCL and will reward with trouble free high mileages.

#1999 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,396 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 10 March 2021 - 03:34 pm

Greetings

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#2000 Absolut7C

Absolut7C

arrived on last train

• 3 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 17 March 2021 - 08:43 am

Hi Everyone,

My name is Karol, I live near Oxford -UK, but I'm originally from Poland.

I've just treated my self and last night, I've bought a TDM :D
Yeah after an exactly quarter of a century dreaming about it!
I haven't rode a bike for about 20years since I've crashed my little brother's "chopper" off-roading,( yes very clever, I know) At the time I've smashed my left knee too, still can feel the pain now and then, aspecially when weather changes.
Anyways Hello everyone
I hope I can find some new friends amongst you and ride the British roads together
Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users