#1 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:19 pm

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how the brightness of LED bulbs is measured? I ordered a cheapo  stop/tail light bulb off Fleabay which, when fitted, was nowhere near as bright as the standard jobbie.

The description is mesmerizing......

http://www.ebay.co.u...872.m2749.l2649

Just wondered what I SHOULD have ordered to get the same brightness as a normal 5/21w type?

Cheers all

Riggers

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:38 pm

Riggers i think you may need to drop an email to these chaps, while more expensive i think they will have the info you need.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:41 pm

Brightness is generally measured in lumens or abbreviated to lm.  In the case of the ebaygum wans, that's 300lm.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:45 pm

Thanks guys. 

#5 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:02 pm

That also reads like it's a single brightness unit.  Unless it dims when no brake is applied.

Roughly speaking

Tungsten = 15 lm/W

Tail = 5W x 15 = 75lm

Stop = 21W x 15 = 315lm

That implies either the LED bought was a dud, or the website I found the above is lying somewhat

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#6 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:42 pm

A "white" LED is actually a blue led with a yellow re-emitting coating. This gives a kind-of white/bluish light with a weak red part.

When you put this kind of led inside a red transparent casing like the stop-position light at the rear, most of the light is blocked as only the (weak) red part of the light go thru the casing unfiltered.

It's better to put a red LED bulb in this case.

White and blue LEDs are also known to output too much ultraviolet radiation which is not good for the eye.

Edited by JBX, 20 October 2017 - 10:44 pm.

top_640.png

#7 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:20 am

A "white" LED is actually a blue led with a yellow re-emitting coating. This gives a kind-of white/bluish light with a weak red part.

When you put this kind of led inside a red transparent casing like the stop-position light at the rear, most of the light is blocked as only the (weak) red part of the light go thru the casing unfiltered.

It's better to put a red LED bulb in this case.

True, but the difference is not that big in real life. The white LEDs are often much bgighter than red LEDs, which compensates for the filtering of light

Also, if your tail light doubles as a license plate light, it is not good to use a red LED.

Edited by TDM4ever, 21 October 2017 - 08:26 am.

#8 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:54 am

I thought I'd just post up my experiences on these bulbs after trying two of them now in my stop/tail light. As I mentioned above the first one I tried was just a cheapo one from E.bay just to get an idea really. Now I've also tried a better one from a local independent car spares dealer. In both cases I'v found the light output to be way way down on a standard 5w/21w bulb, but probably more worrying is the difference BETWEEN the two phases There is very little difference between tail and stop/tail together. I would say that in daylight conditions your average Volvo driver would never notice that you're braking with some possibly nasty consequences. And as (I believe) they're illegal any subsequent insurance claim could be invalidated.

IMHO I would suggest leaving well alone until technology improves (which it will) and stick for now with a standard bulb.

Riggers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users