110 replies to this topic

#1 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:42 am

The wiring and loose connections on my bike have always been an issue due to corroded plugs and the previous owner splicing crap Aux outputs in badly. It has an intermittent headlight that turns on or off if you knock the wiring and sometimes decided not to start. So now after rebuilding the exhaust and buying a charger to charge the battery put it back together and the bloody thing now won’t start or have a working horn but all lights works so time to buy another unmolested wiring loom and put back to original. :rant:

#2 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:44 am

I hate electrics.  They scare and confuse me.  Wiring in air-horns is the only dabbling I have done, bar replacing a fuse.

So I feel your pain.

#3 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 18 May 2020 - 01:04 pm

I've got loads of electric changes on mine but I added my own extra wiring all linked back to it's own fusebox and relays. The only hook in I have is to rear brake light and rear light but the original connections and wiring are still in place. Once you start hacking the main wiring it can mean a world of hurt so I feel your pain.

On the bright side everything should all work with no or few corroded connection issues going forward. 

#4 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 02:34 pm

Just picked up a lighting loom and Rt kill switch cheap on E-bay and see if that solves any issue of headlight cut out and starting issues but will have to see why horn not working??

#5 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 18 May 2020 - 03:13 pm

The loom can sometimes rub around the steering stem and cause problems, not sure if that bit's on the lighting section or the main bit but well worth a look at.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 19 May 2020 - 01:01 am

Spiv,  are you handy with the spanners and on electrics?  Have ya checked the fuse box for corrosion?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:27 am

This worries me with my 3vd - Its had leccy bits added (some by me), and they're all good, but especially in it's current overhaul, I keep finding bits gone bad, and having to fix and make good as much as poss. Front brake light switch plug, neutral safety switch wiring, starter relay (again) - Just to name a few so far.

Grendel - Have you changed the starter relay recently? They're prone to going bad on Mk1s, and will prevent the starter from even engaging. I've just put the second new one on mine in my 7yr ownership.

#8 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:20 am

You can strip the wiring harness and clean the terminals and tidy up any defect wires quite easily in a day chaps providing you have everything to hand already, it's not difficult to do and if you have already chopped in aux stuff then you've already done the same work, the looms not over complicated, i'll be making a brand new loom when i've finished my current project........

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:54 am

A 100 watt soldering gun, solder and a selection of adhesive heatshrink will help no end.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#10 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 05:43 am

Starter motor was rebuilt, and relay replaced last year. Hopefully once i fit replacement kill switch control and sub lighting loom I’ll solve the issues. If not, the main loom will be next replaced.

Edited by Grendel, 23 May 2020 - 06:46 am.

#11 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 07:52 pm

If you do replace the main wiring loom please send me the fuse box with a nice length of cable onnit, would be very grateful, thank you.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#12 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 02:22 pm

Well replaced sub loom for lighting and indicator relay took all connections off I could find and cleaned with electrical cleaner and STILL no starting or horn so now put bid on original main loom and scrapping the airhorn and 12v socket that has been the bain of my life with the bike.

Thinking since will need to take carbs off may as well clean them  I presume new emusion tubes and gaskit kit will be needed or get away with just float valve cab kit for a routine clean?

Edited by Grendel, 07 June 2020 - 03:00 pm.

#13 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 07 June 2020 - 03:01 pm

Well replaced sub loom for lighting and indicator relay took all connections off I could find and cleaned with electrical cleaner and STILL no starting or horn so now put bid on original main loom and scrapping the airhorn and 12v socket that has been the bain of my life with the bike.

Thinking since will need to take carbs off may as well clean them  I presume new emusion tubes and gaskit kit will be needed?

i'd upgrade to litek gaskets ,but they are east based (thai I think so order now) 
NRP do a lot of carb stuff too

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 June 2020 - 03:40 pm

I would probably get the wiring/non-start issue sorted before you go at the carbs Gren.  It's easy to lose yourself if you do a few jobs at the same time, you can end up not knowing whats stopping it starting.

As Drewpster mentions, NRP Carbs sell the full kit inc. toobs or you can buy stuff separately.

Litetek  https://www.litetek....aha_TRX850.html

NRP Carbs  http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=common/home Do a search on there for TDM850.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#15 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 06:22 pm

Thinking since will need to take carbs off may as well clean them  I presume new emusion tubes and gaskit kit will be needed or get away with just float valve cab kit for a routine clean?

You checked your ignition inside the switch cluster housing at all, been known for it to have broken and would just require a solder !! anyway worth a look, could you please send me your fuse box with pigtails if you do replace the main loom, ta.

#16 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:33 am

Have you started chasing electrics round the bike yet with a multimeter?

#17 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 07:39 am

Dablik: Your welcome to the old loom once i change it.

As for chasing connections pretty sure it is the air horn connection to loom again since that does not work either and previous owner has butchered the main loom. This will be the 5th problem I’ve had with dodgy electrics due to the main loom so going to change and put back to original and scrap airhorn and 12v socket since already paid small fortune in the past to rewire bits of it then it fails somewhere else. Probably hold off on carbs for the moment then since its runs OK when it starts.

#18 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 08 June 2020 - 07:44 am

maybe i havent read it properly its not starting or not turning over i had a problem with mine this year not starting and it was the coils.

took me longer than it should have changing cleaning too much at onece so one thing at a time and make a list of todos as you find them sorting the initial problem

#19 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:23 am

Dablik: Your welcome to the old loom once i change it.

As for chasing connections pretty sure it is the air horn connection to loom again since that does not work either and previous owner has butchered the main loom. This will be the 5th problem I’ve had with dodgy electrics due to the main loom so going to change and put back to original and scrap airhorn and 12v socket since already paid small fortune in the past to rewire bits of it then it fails somewhere else. Probably hold off on carbs for the moment then since its runs OK when it starts.

Cheers Grendel, no need to send the whole loom as it's just the fuse box with about 10" of cable left on it i need, thank you, keep all your terminals from the old loom until you know all is good with a replacement, again leave pigtails on them all in case.. happy to pay the postage..

#20 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 02:48 pm

Out of interest how much of the bike do i need to take apart to change the main loom. Is it an easy home job or should I get garage to do it so i do not end up losing my temper since a tad fed up with it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users