#1 XTreme

XTreme

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 195 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:07 pm

Hi guys! smile.gif
I'm living in Spain (but I'm Welsh) and I've got a 98 TDM850. It's a Brit one, in excellent nick, and only 8500 miles (genuine) on the clock.
Anyway, the collector box has now got a couple of small holes around the area that the downipipes go into it.
The rest of it is pretty solid, so I don't really want to fork out for a new one....no idea how much they are, but I doubt they're cheap.
What's the remedy here do you think? Some sort of repair paste? Welding? Or get a new one? Does it have much of an adverse effect leaving the holes as they are?
Any advice appreciated! smile.gif

#2 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:22 pm

Hi and welcome XTreme, some people paste it up and some weld the downpoipes insitu into the collector box.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 XTreme

XTreme

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:27 pm

Cheers for that....I'll now have to go on an expedition to source some paste.....I've already asked around town for it, but they have no idea what it is! laugh.gif

I live in the AltiPlano (high plains) of rural Andalucia and things are a bit behind the times here. unsure.gif

#4 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:54 pm

Welcome X.............you sound like the ideal man to organise/host an RTT trip

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#5 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:21 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Tue 11th Sep 2007, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome X.............you sound like the ideal man to organise/host an RTT trip

Better than going to Cornwall, I mean Cornwall huh.gif

#6 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:24 pm

try some gungum, but i warn you, if its gone at the collector box its just a mater of time before it blows elsewhere
after having the collector box and down pipes welded mine went within 500miles at the header collers.
they do turn up on ebay occassionally

a couple of sold examples from teh last few days

original mk1 (3VD and 4TX exhausts are the same
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e...A:IT&ih=005

after market jobby(same as marvins), approx £180 new
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e...A:IT&ih=004

down pipes are £144 from kedo, dont buy from ebay, they are the same pipes but with a £25 markup and postage.

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#7 XTreme

XTreme

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:04 pm

Thanks guys!

As for motorcycling here.....this is the type of environment where I live....

Hundreds of miles of virtually deserted roads. I can go out and ride for hours and never see a soul.

Police? Very rarely seen....and quite frankly they couldn't care less what you do! Small number plates? Half the bikes don't even have number plates! Dark visors? Well.....I'm the only person in town who actually wears a helmet. I've even see four people on a bike....all helmetless and drinking. They carry trees, furniture, and even animals on bikes....but the cops are not interested. The Spanish are not overly keen on doing any work. laugh.gif

Speed cameras? I think the nearest one is about 150 miles away....and I doubt very much if it works.

Offroading? Ride where you want....completely legal here. Personal freedom is encouraged.....and even if they passed laws to change things, the people and the Police would just ignore them.

It's a paradise for bikers, and of course, petrol is two thirds the UK price.

Had a few mates over in April and they had a great time. One of them did break his foot when he binned his DL1000....but he was a Cockney so a disaster was inevitable! laugh.gif

#8 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:56 pm

did anyone else just hear him accept the responsibility of organising RTT08/09/10 ?

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#9 fightingirish

fightingirish

seems to like Carpe

• 41 posts
  • TDM model: 1995

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:03 pm

Damn. I am so jealous. Bikers paradise. When can I move in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wink.gif

#10 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:31 pm

QUOTE(fightingirish @ Tue 11th Sep 2007, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn. I am so jealous. Bikers paradise. When can I move in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wink.gif

Wait, with global warming, the glens of Antrim will look like that soon wink.gif

Stu

#11 XTreme

XTreme

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:50 pm

It's a very different world to Britain....but then, I live in Real Spain rather than the Brit ghettoes on the Costas!
If anybody ever fancies a ride down you're more than welcome. There'll be probably a few mates coming over next year again, probably May.
Forget late June and July and August....cos the temperatures here are regularly over 40 degrees.

#12 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:00 pm

You got enough parking space for about 20 TDMs? laugh.gif

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#13 XTreme

XTreme

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:11 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Tue 11th Sep 2007, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You got enough parking space for about 20 TDMs? laugh.gif

Not personally....but it can be arranged quite easily. cool.gif

I have my own business over here (IT) but I'm also a partner in a property locating and rental company, so I can arrange virtually anything in the way of facilities etc.

You could even have the opportunity to stay in caves if you wanted....they're big business over here now.

#14 David H

David H

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:09 pm

Welcome buddy. cool.gif

My exhaust has been welded now.
I got away with exhaust repair putty and a jubilee clip for almost a year! rolleyes.gif
When there's a big hole my bike had no bottom end and would barely run under 3k revs. dry.gif

#15 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:43 pm

QUOTE(XTreme @ Tue 11th Sep 2007, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could even have the opportunity to stay in caves if you wanted....they're big business over here now.

This guy ever visit? laugh.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#16 Sparra

Sparra

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:27 am

How about one of the uk based guys sending some gunk over to xtreme so he can repair his zorst? just a suggestion.
2002 TDM900. BMW 1150gs handguards, Oxford heated grips, Staintune exhausts, airbox mod, re-moulded seat, bar risers, Powerlec adaptor, bluetooth, 2way comms, K & N filter, Nonfango hard luggage, center stand, polished alloy wheels, (I'm not gunna)crash knobs

#17 XTreme

XTreme

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:44 am

I'm taking it over to the car repair place I use here today. The guy is into bikes so I'll see what he can suggest.

#18 XTreme

XTreme

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:24 am

OK....the garage had a look and reckoned it could be welded....no problem at all. Cos apart from the two little holes either side of the front pipe it's pretty sound.
But I have to take it off now. And I'm a seriously shite mechanic! laugh.gif
I can see the front pipes going in and can detach from there quite easily. But the pipes at the back seem to go up into the silencers itself. So presumably I have to undo the bolt holding the collector box from above, and then take the back end of the system off from where they're attached to the body.
And advice on this....or any "do not's"....bearing in mind I'm pretty inept. Got all the tools....but don't know WTF they're for. laugh.gif

Edited by XTreme, 12 September 2007 - 09:24 am.

#19 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:30 am

Be carefull with the header pipes, things have a tendancy to seize. Soak your nuts in penetrating oil blink.gif for a fair time first, and I found once I had the nuts off it needed a bit of gentle persuasion with a lump of wood and a hammer (put the wood on the bit you want to hit and then hit the wood with the hammer, less likely to damage anything) to get the pipes off. Don't know about the back end as mine are aftermarket but usually you'll have a clamp where the two sections join that you'll need to loosen and then undo the bolt atatching the silencer to the bike somehere near the pillion footpegs. Not sure if the standard system is a 2 piece or a 3 piece though.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#20 XTreme

XTreme

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:35 am

I won't have to remove the header pipes though....will I?
I was just planning to loosen at the collector and slide it back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users