68 replies to this topic

#1 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:25 am

As many will know, I'm an inveterate pootler - a combination of personality, enjoyment of the countryside, age and increasingly problems with my stiff right arm and balance, resulting in a growing lack of confidence. So I've been thinking of giving in to reality and moving into the maxi-scoot world. . I'm prepared to take a big drop in power for the sake of practicality - maybe even persuade the missus to ride pillion for once unsure.gif - and a decent onboard carrying space - so have been thinking of the Burgman or Majesty league rather than the T-Max, and will be going tomorrow to check out a virtually new (May 2007) Burgman 400 that's currently on an apparently good offer. Looks nice in black (though that exhaust is the first target for replacement!!).

I'm aiming to give this a go for a while to see if I can get along with it - knowing that it'll be nothing like my TDM friend sad.gif - then consider selling off the 900, maybe in the Spring., as I'm not sure I'll be able to afford 2 bikes. So watch this space for the possibility of a good bike and various bits. Some good things come along just too late in life, I guess.

If anybody out there has any advice on the Burgman 400 please let me know asap - not the 650 as it's too heavy, much as I'd like the extra power. Thanks to poldark, paulb and aitch meanwhile.

PS The Gilera Fuoco looks like an evil barrel of fun (especially in matt black) if you can spare 5.5 grand:

These mp3's handle interestingly: see http://www.youtube.c...feature=related and

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#2 Guest_Pantboy_*

Guest_Pantboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:30 am

QUOTE(Pict @ Fri 23rd Nov 2007, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS The Gilera Fuoco looks like an evil barrel of fun if you can spare 5.5 grand:

does the walking stick come as standard with this one?

#3 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:33 am

The T-max is supposedly the best handling scoot, as the engine is mounted in the frame, not on the swing arm. The engine is a twin with an extra "fake" cylinder at 180degrees to act as a balancer, which makes it very smooth. although this makes it rather long, it still handles better than the other scoots, and is extremely stable.

Or so I've heard from a fellow I work with who's recently changed to a t-max from a burgman.

#4 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:51 am

Thanks Emmett. Guess I'm just wrestling with an opportunity at a good price, trying to aim for the best. None of these maxi's seem thick on the ground to choose from - maybe it's the time of year. Have heard good things about the T-Max right enough, though the economy seems a bit low.
QUOTE(Pantboy @ Fri 23rd Nov 2007, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
does the walking stick come as standard with this one?
Now, now, don't mock the afflicted just 'cos they're different! tongue.gif

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#5 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:57 am

The sad thing is, I also like Maxi-Scooters. Perfect for getting to work and putting kit in. I'm getting old, just need to accept it now. sad.gif

#6 Guest_Naboki_*

Guest_Naboki_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:16 am

gilera fuoco looks kinda cool - i wonder how it drives. to me, maxi's seem really really boring - like any kind of scooter. ..and by default I cant stand automatics - on bikes and cars alike. Give me big displacement street bike anyday and ye'll never wipe that grin off my face. I guess they're ok for a quiet ride to work and back every day... but I think I'd fall asleep riding one smile.gif. Anyway, if thats what it takes to keep you on 2 wheels, by all means go ahead! If the drive is nice, I'd go fer the fuoco. It's different.

off topic: last nite i took out me mate's 1981 Z750E - boy whatta bike!! my back tingles just thinkin about it! yahoo.gif biggrin.gif

Noroc!

Marius

#7 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:31 am

That Gilera looks like Darth Vader - I like it cool.gif I must be honest, I've never even looked at a scooter until recently but I'm impressed with the Burgman and the T-max. If all I did was commute I'd consider test riding one because of the weather protection and built in luggage capacity. What are they like in high winds though? They seem to have the acreage of plastic associated with a Gold Wing, but not the weight.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#8 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:55 am

Have you consisered a TDM with a side car?
Friend with a spine prob rides scooters, nice low CG. He has an ols(er) Honda Maxi-something.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#9 Stuart-900

Stuart-900

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 190 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:10 am

Hi Ian,

Don't be too disheartened at the thought of moving over to the equally dark world of maxi scooters: whenever I've come across them in the past I've been quite impressed with their abilities. Although obviously not quite in the same league as a "proper" bike, they go OK, handle fairly well and have enough storage space to impress Pickfords!

Give them a go with an open mind and you'll probably be fairly impressed. If not, slap a sidecar on your TDM cool.gif

Failing that, if you decide to part company with yours, let me know as I'm looking to get a new(er) TDM next year banana.gif

Cheers - Stuart.

In the world of I.T. anything is possible (but only according to those that don't understand the problem)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2007 900 with Scottoiler, Starcom communications system, Givi engine bars, Stebel Magnum horn, ATC-2k digital video camera, Fender Extender, Vario winglet, seat, wheels, noisy engine type thing...
VFR 800 VTEC with Starcom communications system, ATC-2k digital video camera, seat, wheels, slightly different noisy engine type thing...

http://www.theultimatehigh.co.uk/

#10 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:22 am

Scooters don't mean less fun wink.gif

If the Burgman falls thru', I've heard good things about the TMax too, from a FF proponent.

Stu

#11 phoneman

phoneman

really likes Carpe

• 82 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:15 pm

Anything with 2 (or 3) wheels is better than a car. I even nod (occasionally) at 16yr old scooter riders........ after all I was 16 once and rode a Honda C100. I think some of the Maxi Scooters are just as capable as most bikes on the road. When I was in North Wales this summer there were at least 6 Italian registered scooters complete with panniers obviously on a major european tour. Buy and ride what you fancy and don't worry about what any narrowminded bikers think.
Phoneman (Mike)

2004 Triumph Speed Triple

2006 Honda Dylan (I know but I don't care when it gets dirty, dropped or stolen)

Gone but not forgotten

2006 TDM900A. Airbox mod (thanks JBX), Fuel cans, Safety lights, Garmin GPS, FlipStandard Screen, DL650 handguards (thanks Hartside man), Yamaha topbox and of course a Scottoiler

2003 TDM900. As above.

#12 Mandi

Mandi

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:59 pm

As an former maxi scooterer I have to throw in my tuppence worth. I did 24,000 miles on a X9 500. The TDM believe it or not was the nearest in comfort I could find and I did test ride alot.

I never felt under powered when sitting at the traffic lights next to a Fazer or the like, and in fact could normally beat the guys to about 50 mph because they had to keep dropping the revs to change gear. I am not a speed freak but once did about (indicated) 109 mph on mine and it was just like sitting on a sofa on a breezy day. And then there is the economy 75-80 mph. Next luggage, I only had the underseat compartment, no top box, but this gives acres of space - two full face helments for example. I once picked up one of my sons and packed a helmet, boots, gloves, trousers and jacket with armour in the underseat compartment for him to wear. The X9 also has lots of toys, like a radio, pilot/pillion intercom which can be linked into mobile phone for which there is a special compartment, electric centre stand and onboard computer gismo which will work out average speed, air temp gauge and loads more useless stuff. (acually I really miss the air temp guage). The best bit is, no wet feet on a rainy day.

So... I hear you ask why did you change to a TDM. Well the X9 is Italian and as the mileage got higher I was finding myself on the side of the road more and more often. To be honest the toys are a waste of money and I just fancied a change. If I was going back to scootering I would look at the Tmax although a Yammy dealer told me once that compared to the X9 it was rubbish but then maybe he was trying to butter me up.

The most stupid thing is that there is a stigma attached to scooters. Most bikers would not be seen dead on a scooter but I would say to anyone "don't knock it until you have tried it". I get a completely differnt reaction from people when I tell them I ride a 900cc bike to when I told them I rode a 500cc scooter, although 500 and scooter did confuse some. Scooter, and they would change the subject, 900cc bike and the reaction is one of suprise, admiration and respect. How silly people are eh? blink.gif
I don't commute, I just go for a ride morning and afternoon!

#13 Mitch

Mitch

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:04 pm

QUOTE(Naboki @ Fri 23rd Nov 2007, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
off topic: last nite i took out me mate's 1981 Z750E - boy whatta bike!! my back tingles just thinkin about it! yahoo.gif biggrin.gif

Noroc!

Marius

I have one of them there things cool.gif

Honda SS50

Honda CG125

Honda 250 Super Drean

Honda 751F1

Honda CX500

Kawasaki Z750E

TDM 900

PRP exhaust, Scottoiler touring, Yamaha Heated grips, Givi top box & panniers, Garmin, MRA Vario screen, fenda extenda, BMW hand guards. Nippy Normans bar risers. 'Nitram Special' parking light. Starcom. Hagon progressive fork springs. Hagon Monoshock with Remote Adjuster. SW-Motech mirror extenders.GIVI Engine Protectors.

BMW K1200LT (2000)

Nothing to add, has it all. :)

Kawasaki Z750E (1981)

In bits. :huh:

#14 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:36 pm

T Max sems to be the one according to a FF friend of mine (EVEN WEE'ER MAN!)who is also a Ducati pervert. It must be good if he rates it!

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#15 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:41 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Fri 23rd Nov 2007, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
T Max sems to be the one according to a FF friend of mine (EVEN WEE'ER MAN!)who is also a Ducati pervert. It must be good if he rates it!

I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself. huh.gif

#16 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:29 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Fri 23rd Nov 2007, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The T-max is supposedly the best handling scoot, as the engine is mounted in the frame, not on the swing arm. The engine is a twin with an extra "fake" cylinder at 180degrees to act as a balancer, which makes it very smooth. although this makes it rather long, it still handles better than the other scoots, and is extremely stable.

Or so I've heard from a fellow I work with who's recently changed to a t-max from a burgman.

My new Boss has a yella Tmax( as well as a VFR) & he says it is a great bike for commuting, verry nibble & more than fast enough.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#17 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:36 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Fri 23rd Nov 2007, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(EVEN WEE'ER MAN!)

laugh.gif
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#18 Yellowasp

Yellowasp

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:45 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Fri 23rd Nov 2007, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

]

That is one fecking ugly bike, sorry !!

Looks like the mother in law laugh.gif

Yellow Tdm 900 with lots of bits added

#19 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:37 pm

It's so ugly I think I like it.

#20 Guest_Pantboy_*

Guest_Pantboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:54 pm

someone parks one outside a pub near to me, (probably so he can ride home drunk without falling over tongue.gif ) it's uglier close up, but strangely cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users