#361 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,217 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 November 2021 - 07:31 pm

You'll do a cracking good job, looking forward to seeing how it progresses. :good: :munching_out:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#362 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,163 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 09 November 2021 - 07:41 pm

Now this will be interesting, good luck with the project Coxylaad , keep us posted on the progress chap 👍👍
<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#363 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 November 2021 - 02:14 pm

Have you got a 3D printer yet ?

Custom brackets in plastic are very doable, but if you're into metal it shouldn't be a problem to make the required brackets on your bench

I have the ability to do both now. 

#364 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 November 2021 - 06:42 pm

I have the ability to do both now. 

Heh, should have done by Monday then?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#365 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 11:10 am

haha unlikely. ive not been in the garage for 6 month.  impending house move and stopped all progress. as soon as I am in the new house and have the new garage setup then I will be on it. 

#366 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 November 2021 - 08:28 pm

haha unlikely. ive not been in the garage for 6 month.  impending house move and stopped all progress. as soon as I am in the new house and have the new garage setup then I will be on it. 

So about Wednesday or maybe Thursday then... ;)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#367 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:30 pm

Still not done anything yet, but I have been thinking about it. So if I use the mk1 fuel tank there are a couple of implications- the first and most important is that I will lose 2 litres of fuel capacity which will take a chunk of range off the bike. I'm going to look at resizing the tank somehow if there is space.
The second issue is that I will have to used the mk1 seat, which means I will have to deal with those velcro wings...

#368 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,120 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 04 December 2021 - 08:20 am

Some MK1 seats maybe later models had plastic doohickeys instead of velcro.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#369 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 04 December 2021 - 05:56 pm

Still not done anything yet, but I have been thinking about it. So if I use the mk1 fuel tank there are a couple of implications- the first and most important is that I will lose 2 litres of fuel capacity which will take a chunk of range off the bike. I'm going to look at resizing the tank somehow if there is space.
The second issue is that I will have to used the mk1 seat, which means I will have to deal with those velcro wings...

The plus point of using the Mk1 tank is, of course, you’ll have a Mk1 tank!

If you’re going to resize the tank, couldn’t you resize it at the back, get rid of the seat scallopes and make it fit the niner seat? I wonder if you could find a couple of litres or more there?

Easy for me to say, impossible for me to do… but I don’t have your fabrication skills. :good:

Just a thought. 

Edited by James, 04 December 2021 - 05:59 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#370 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 10:40 pm

You know I thought that exact same thing!

Its something I will look into, even if I have to sacrifice the 900 tank to get it sorted. Until I get it all mocked up then I won't know for sure

#371 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 December 2021 - 08:12 pm

Some MK1 seats maybe later models had plastic doohickeys instead of velcro.

Yep the seats and tanks from either 1993 or 1994 onwards had the better plastic attachy bits

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#372 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:21 am

which registration plate should I use? I know Im using the 900 frame but I like the idea of using the 1991 plate on the bike

#373 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,359 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)

Posted 06 December 2021 - 01:29 pm

To do it properly you'd have to use the 9er plate to match the frame number.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#374 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 09:47 am

yeah I know legally I should use the 900 frame number... :rotflmmfao:

#375 Sabresdad

Sabresdad

discovering Carpe

• 18 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 10 December 2021 - 08:25 am

Use the 900 frame and registration number, try applying for a V5c registration document on an older registration number with a (newer) frame change and you will run into issues with the DVLA ie a Q plate or a possible refusal to issue a Registration document

#376 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 09:14 am

Right then. Small update. I have been umming and ahhing about what to do with the TDM. Ive had an itch for a modern bike for a while and apart from the technology that new bikes off, the main thing that puts me off the TDM900 is that I am not too keen on the looks of the bike.  

Anyways long story short I have looked decided the bike is too good to sell on, its solid, never let me down, its immensely fun to ride, and it covers the miles with ease. 

with all that in mind ive decided to bling the bike up somewhat, and I have bought these:

nwD2wvj.jpg

Ohlins front end from a Multistrada 1100s. Now I know the bike already handles great, but ohlins forks! 

I will be fitting the multistrada mazzochi 17" front wheel also. With it being the multistrada ohlins they are long enough so they wont tip the bike on its nose and change it. Ive seen a few USD fork conversions, especially over in greece where the front end of the bike looks buried into the tarmac. They are all into their drag bikes over there so its probably not a problem for them, but I dont want that. the bike has to retain the same stable predictable handling. 

When I actually get round to fitting these is another question, it will probably be over the winter, as at the moment any spare time I have I will be working on my VFR project:

ZoEJtzj.jpg

EQIK6An.jpg

I'd like to finish a project before I start a new one. 

My other project the TRX850/MT09 hybrid track bike is all but done apart from a nice paint job:

AbHLWS5.jpg?1

Back to the TDM. I have a mk1 3VD in the corner of my garage ready to donate all its fairings and stuff to the 900.

1M7glLF.jpg

I had them out the other day and did a side by side comparison:

LBTaOF3.jpg

ivEKO23.jpg

oDVFeRW.jpg

DpNDJaB.jpg

toQ10jA.jpg

The tank height on the mk1 is much taller

WzJBQse.jpg

Edited by Coxylaad, 07 July 2022 - 09:22 am.

#377 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,359 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 09:39 am

The Mk1 is still the better looking bike in my opinion, but will the higher tank affect handling when full with the extra weigh high up?
I notice the difference on my 4tx just moving it about when full but I'm only little.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

#378 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 10:17 am

I agree.  If I convert my 900 to wear the mk1 clothes I am hoping there is going to be some space under the tank, I will extend the mk1 tank down to fill the gap, provide a lower centre of gravity and a large fuel capacity

#379 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,359 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 11:05 am

If cutting the bottom of the tank around maybe worth including an internal baffle to limit the sloshing and weight shifting of the larger tank

#380 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 12:06 pm

Ill sort it when I fit the fuel pump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users