• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 October 2021 - 05:22 am

Really?? It looked like the later one because they are a different shade of grey paint  :huh:

It’s flaking, maybe that’s why  :)

Could well be cheaper from megazip

It is, but postage and fees will most likely defeat that. I’ll sit on it for a bit.

You know when changing the tensioner you have to position the engine correctly or it will go kerchinnggg an then it's cam cover off time.

Noted, thanks!

#22 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 10:30 am

I have two noob questions:

1. Does the TDM stress the battery more than other bikes? I've been reading it'll "go through" a battery within just a couple of years.

2. Measuring CO from the pipes to get the mixture right, I've read on here that 3.50-4.00 is the benchmark. Is that with or without cats? 

I find mine is hunting on light throttle.

#23 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 31 October 2021 - 03:24 pm

No idea on 2 but I don't think they're particularly hard on batteries.  I'm on my third battery on a 2009 bike and the last one was my fault as I've not been using it for ages and it sat in the shed too long with a flat battery.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#24 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 31 October 2021 - 04:21 pm

But they do need the battery to be good, as soon as it’s on it’s way out the bike’s unlikely to start.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#25 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 01:07 am

I find mine is hunting on light throttle.

I would like to help, but I only hunt with mine on full throttle ;)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#26 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 09:33 am

I would like to help, but I only hunt with mine on full throttle ;)

:D

It's got a recent, correct Yuasa battery that I'll keep topped up and run occasional Recond. cycles on with my Ctek charger.

#27 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 01 November 2021 - 11:38 am

Had 3 batteries on mine since 2005 - Got an Oxford optimate to hook the bike up to when it is idle over winter weeks - This has doubled the life over the previous battery so far. 

I dont buy cheap on batteries BTW - always get OEM. Years ago when the battery failed on me for the first time it was 2am on a winters night outside of work. Been paranoid ever since about making sure battery in good nick. 

Aluminium Welding with Parkinson,s

#28 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 05:28 pm

Since getting the bike Ive fitted/committed the following, much thanks to the good people on here
Air box flap wire mod
49 cm dark smoked screen and clear deflector
Quad Lock with dampener and charger
Mirror stem extenders 40mm
Beowulf Warrior cans
Air filter and plug change
Ctek charger connector

Next up, waiting to go on:
Updated cam chain tensioner (started to rattle, longer bolt now in)
Cam chain as preventative measure
Oxford hot grips
V-Strom hand guards
Extra quiet baffles coz them cans make my ears tingle

Undecided on how I like the Warriors so far. They dont line up easily. They sound brappy but with not much of the bassy music and tonality of the Remuses Ive heard and loved. They also burp and warble on semi-overrun when fuel cut-off isnt engaged. Makes me think of lesser, American steeds 😣
The plugs came out looking very even but Im not up on reading them for combustion conditions. COn settings were +18 and 19. Love how cheap the parts have been so far from Megazip, especially coming from the world of Honda.

Attached Files

#29 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 06:12 pm

I have the same exhaust cans on and had to order the quieter baffles to stop getting headaches! I had Scorpions on before, not much to choose between them other than a different style. You can get them lined up but it takes a while.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#30 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 06:40 pm

That plug looks within spec to me, certainly can't see anything obviously wrong in need of attention.

I nearly got the same cans, but got scorpions instead, I still prefer the triangular outline yours have, they seem to work with the chamfer of the frame in the rear section. It's not my favourite detail of the bike, but when you add triangular cans it all fits really well

Edited by fixitsan, 22 December 2021 - 08:41 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#31 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 December 2021 - 08:10 pm

Nice bike, welcome to the club. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#32 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 06:49 am

Chrisr, Im hoping the extra quiet baffles will make them sound nicer as well as quieter. Do they? I am also getting a spot of headaches

#33 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 12:41 am

They stopped the headaches, but they still sound good on the road!

#34 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 08:59 pm

Glad to hear it. Or, I guess I will be! 😁

#35 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 10:32 pm

Happy new year guys!

Had my second run of the year, after having fitted:

V-Strom hand guards

Hot Grips

Scottoiler V System

Extra Quiet baffles to the Warriors.

In a positively balmy +3C I found the guards are brilliant, and with the grips at 50 pct. the going was good. Those guards are the neatest fit I can imagine without them being Yamaha kit. No drilling was needed to fit the supplied pivot bolts, and the writeup on the JBX site, while excellent, suggested to machine down the groove in the bar ends from 21 to 17 mm, rather than … ta-daa… doing the opposite to the clip on the ABS plastic guards with a Dremel. I mean..?

The Scottoiler I’m still getting the hang of as far as settings. Easy to install, despite the lack of good locations for the reservoir. Routing the oil line inside the swing arm and up, made sense.

But I’m just not making friends with those cans. I’ve a slight tinnitus thing already, and while riding it actually becomes an issue, which is a first. The tone just clashes with my frequencies or something. The new baffles help, but not enough, so I’ll be putting them on the market. Feel free to reach out with any interest, but postage from Norway will apply.

Attached File  31EF3BEC-1051-49A4-9B56-B732C6876340.jpeg   114.15KB   0 downloads

Attached File  795FE334-F161-4D4D-A305-DE19A59A135E.jpeg   96.33KB   0 downloads

Attached File  C142AC45-B34D-41E5-9B89-C2492922A774.jpeg   120.18KB   0 downloads

Attached File  5D7D11E5-F4CF-4765-96A6-5D53EFEDE6D9.jpeg   113.16KB   0 downloads

#36 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 12:26 am

Looks like you need the scottoiler, not sure that chain isn’t too far gone though, you might want to check the state of the rear suspension bushes too.

#37 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 03:10 pm

The chain is looking a bit nasty yes, that's my fault and the main reason why I went for said Scottoiler. It's half-worn but has no stiff links so should be salvageable. For the rest of the bike it's just not been washed lately and was in a very, very tidy condition when I picked it up, with 31000 kms on it and service history.

#38 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,085 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 11 January 2022 - 04:45 pm

Bar ends can be machined with a 3mm parting tool to get the slot but your solution still works

Edited by leehenty, 11 January 2022 - 04:55 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#39 Doggy

Doggy

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 05:12 pm

Hello and Welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users