dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,745 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:13 pm

Go Favs, that bike will feel newer than a new thing  :good: 

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3003 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,394 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:08 pm

I'll be done with it by next week. I need to pop out for some coolant tomorrow.

Your turn to get busy & ready for warmer weather.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3004 dablik

dablik

• 10,745 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:40 am

I'm on it, just need a change in the weather :waiting:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3005 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:08 pm

Finally made a few DRL controller prototypes -- > https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3006 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,394 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:25 pm

Well done Fixitsan. Looks a neat little case too. Just the patent & instructions to sort now :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3007 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:37 pm

Well done Fixitsan. Looks a neat little case too. Just the patent & instructions to sort now :good:

Cheers. I got some DRL's the same as the ones you were getting (led strips about 8 inches long) and have tested with those. Seems alright, they get quite warm though, but that's very handy in Scotland right now ;)

Hope to post one out tomorrow.

There are 5 wires to be connected nothing too technical.

#3008 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:15 am

Cheers. I got some DRL's the same as the ones you were getting (led strips about 8 inches long) and have tested with those. Seems alright, they get quite warm though, but that's very handy in Scotland right now ;)

Hope to post one out tomorrow.

There are 5 wires to be connected nothing too technical.

put me on the interested list please

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#3009 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:13 pm

Changed the clutch --> https://www.flickr.c...N02/40246958814

Fitted EBC heavy duty clutch plates, a new clutch cable (so smoooooth)  and taking in some of what Favs has said about replacing all his springs with heavy duty ones I only swapped 3 springs (in an alternating pattern), and it feels good :)  It takes more effort to pull the lever in but it isn't at the stage of being uncomfortable if using it a lot in town traffic. But then again I have big hands.

The original plate stack (9 plates)  were made up of the 2 outer plates having larger 'lands', manufactured from a different material to the rest. See the pic, the darker coloured material and large lands was an outer plate

The new clutch has 9 plates all of which look more like the darker coloured one one in the photo, and all have the larger lands. The 2 innermost plates of the original stack looked very dry and a bit glazed.(as per photo)

The new plates were soaked in oil for 3 days before installing. I don't know if that's necessary these days but I still do it !

#3010 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:28 pm

FITTED MODIFIED CARB TO AIRBOX RUBBERS ON MY 850 3VD

got 75mm of 60mm silicone hose from ebay under£5

had to enlarge the holes in airbox a couple of mm

new 70 mm hose clips to hold them on the carbs

cut down the trumpets  and ground them down a bit with a coarse sanding disc

glued in place with hot glue gun then silicone

screwed the airbox back together popped in new air filter job done

Edited by madmopedracer, 22 March 2018 - 07:00 pm.

#3011 dablik

dablik

• 10,745 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:34 pm

Use the "More reply options to post" and at the bottom you will see the ability to browse photo's, choose photo, it will load, then attach to post, good job on the wubbers.

#3012 TDM900OZ

TDM900OZ

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:57 pm

Did the airbox mod a while ago but it didn't seem to make a lot of difference, sooo i thought some more about it and last night I adjusted the throttle cable and added more slack ( it was a wee bit lacking in free play)

Instantly waay better, no surging and way smoother on/off the throttle it's like a different bike, I'm embarrassed to think it was so simple i should have thought of this earlier, I have been riding bikes for long enough, It must be that intelligence shielding thing someone mentioned..  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

#3013 92TDMFREQ

92TDMFREQ

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:27 am

I got some Galfer steel braided brake lines. Today my All Balls front and rear caliper rebuild kit, All Balls front and rear master cylinder rebuild kits showed up

#3014 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:05 pm

Changed the clutch --> https://www.flickr.c...02/40246958814.

Chris,

Is that you lifting the bike with the EazyRizer straight on the exhaust pipes front and back?

I use an adapter kit to clamp onto and lift the footpegs at the rear, on my red version.

I'm currently waiting on some LED strips to make up DRL-type additions, using a gizmo to reduce the brightness and selecting Hi/off/Lo via an on/off/on switch - if it works!

Edited by steve27bha, 27 March 2018 - 03:10 pm.

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#3015 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:27 pm

Chris,

Is that you lifting the bike with the EazyRizer straight on the exhaust pipes front and back?

I use an adapter kit to clamp onto and lift the footpegs at the rear, on my red version.

I'm currently waiting on some LED strips to make up DRL-type additions, using a gizmo to reduce the brightness and selecting Hi/off/Lo via an on/off/on switch - if it works!

Hi Steve,

I had reservations about using the downpipes at the front as a lifting point, but the EZRizer website stated the following...

Exhaust Collector Pipes.
Lifting a bike via the engine sump or the chassis frame requires no clarification here, but one of the most frequent questions posed to our technical department by SuperBike owners is:
“Are you sure my collector pipes can support my machine?”
The answer is always the same,
” YES “

Although on many occasions you may elect to lift the front of your bike from the sump or the chassis, the question “can I lift via my collector pipes?” is perfectly understandable – but the simple fact is that supporting SuperBikes from the front collector pipes is an Industry Standard Procedure and is used throughout the industry by manufacturers, the retail & maintenance trade and competition departments across the world. This is borne out by the fact that we only get asked this question by private owners, because the trade are familiar with this technique.

Manufacturers use EazyRizer to lift customer bikes via the collector pipes!

Once you appreciate that the integral chassis design of some SuperBikes dictates that the front end MUST be lifted from the collector pipes, you will realise why the exhaust systems were designed from the outset to accommodate this procedure. Our customers NEVER have a problem with this Industry Standard Procedure, even elderly machines with corroded systems – remember, everyone gets a Money Back Guarantee, so you can be damned sure we’d know if they had a problem!

Lifting at the rear is achieved by lining the beam up with the raised legs of the centre stand as well as the outer edges of the exhaust link pipes. The link pipes are mounted into the standard collector pipes at the rear, so I am lifting it about 2" from the central mounting bolt towards the rear of the downpipes and just in front of the link pipes.

It is surprisingly stable but i can induce a bit of rock and roll without too much trouble, going into the future I'll be making something up to support the pegs which will make removing the exhaust components with the bike at waist height a possibility.

I'm going to have a go at splitting the front forks while they're clamped at the stanchions and raised up on Big Blue.....should be fun ! I'm happy with it for the £60 I paid :) :) :)

As for DRL control there's a lot of options. I know I've got my wee project ont he go but you can buy very small and cheap 12V PWM motor control boards, which I suspect only need the potentiometer removing and replacing with a light dependent resistor, LDR. Or there are even simpler 'night switches' available. The problem with these 2 methods is that they might change output as you go underneath streetlights....but hey it might make you more noticeable !

If you're going to use a resisistive method with a switch (if that was your plan ?)  then I would look to drop the voltage down to about 8V or 9V for a 50% reduction in brightness, and use a 3W or even 5W resistor. But because it's an LED and a current based device using the voltage like this isn't technically correct is it ?

Light output is proportional to current, and nearly linear

http://www.ledsmagaz...signFigFour.gif

so you need to probably look at the blue curve (white leds are doped blue leds) ?

If you want to try the controller I'm playing with drop me a line, I'm going to make another couple of prototypes soon, I need to add an on-off function to disable them for MOT testing

Edited by fixitsan, 27 March 2018 - 04:34 pm.

#3016 Timbo1866

Timbo1866

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:04 pm

Well not today
Sunday fitted new battery then went for a ride
But what kind of numpty does this
Attached File  AC0E34D0-24B3-4F4F-A57F-F959E218A491.jpeg   246.42KB   1 downloads
They fitted a wider battery so had to cut the battery box it also made it impossible to remove the battery without undoing the top of the shocker
Why why why do people butcher things just to save a few pennies

#3017 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:07 pm

Well not today
Sunday fitted new battery then went for a ride
But what kind of numpty does this
attachicon.gif AC0E34D0-24B3-4F4F-A57F-F959E218A491.jpeg
They fitted a wider battery so had to cut the battery box it also made it impossible to remove the battery without undoing the top of the shocker
Why why why do people butcher things just to save a few pennies

I may well have a spare mk2 battery box in my empire of dirt, if interested

#3018 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:37 pm

....... going into the future I'll be making something up to support the pegs which will make removing the exhaust components with the bike at waist height a possibility.

..... you can buy very small and cheap 12V PWM motor control boards,.......

See the attached pic of the OEM supports for the TDM. They lift on the footpeg brackets directly and the U-shaped wingnutted straps hold the pegs and lock it all together. Come see the bits if you want to try your own make. I regularly lift on the pipes at the front, but with a wider pad than your bar. Wood block under sump in pic..

My light control gizmo is/will be? this item - in the post apparently. I'll have to frig about connecting it to bare wires.

Attached Files

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#3019 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:54 pm

See the attached pic of the OEM supports for the TDM. They lift on the footpeg brackets directly and the U-shaped wingnutted straps hold the pegs and lock it all together. Come see the bits if you want to try your own make. I regularly lift on the pipes at the front, but with a wider pad than your bar. Wood block under sump in pic..

My light control gizmo is/will be? this item - in the post apparently. I'll have to frig about connecting it to bare wires.

Those brackets look the business....can you ride the bike over the lift easily, or do you fit the brackets when the lift is put in place under the bike ?

The PWM device is just the sort of thing i was talking about. I've had to order one, it might be easier to retrofit one of those than to build a custom unit. ! They look reasonably well sealed too !

Just saw these ..... https://www.ebay.co....tm/390965733377

or 69p each if bought in tens  https://www.ebay.co....Bt3Kisis9yt2rqA

With an RF remote control  (getting fancy here)  https://www.ebay.co....zAoEc_nuw6xIsgg

Edited by fixitsan, 28 March 2018 - 08:11 pm.

#3020 Timbo1866

Timbo1866

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:23 pm

I may well have a spare mk2 battery box in my empire of dirt, if interested

Yep interested how much do you want for it

1 user(s) are reading this topic