15 replies to this topic

#1 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:47 pm

Did this clutch upgrade to the second of my 4TX's today (1998). 

http://s1354.photobu...5ccaer.jpg.html

http://s1354.photobu...5tdsc5.jpg.html

My clutch was slipping so I replaced the clutch springs with the 1999 on type, they are heavier than the earlier type. Of course you could use heavy duty clutch springs but I like my clutch as light as possible.

If I had just changed the clutch springs I would probably have had a sticking clutch every time I left it for more than a few days.

Clutch springs are genuine Yamaha part: 90501-237L0 (6 off, £21.24 inc delivery from Fowlers, Bristol.)

Steel clutch plates are from Wemoto, part number 190240. They are listed as "Clutch steel plate single" (8 off, £43.18 inc delivery) and have small dimples on the surface unlike the originals which are completely smooth

You will also need a clutch cover gasket too. Wemoto do them at £8.11)

You shouldn't need to drain the oil to do this job. Although I do have a Hagon shock which makes it lean over on the stand a little more.

Obviously if you have a post 1999 4TX you should already have the springs fitted.

Also, check the clutch friction plates for wear before reassembly, they should be 2.9mm thick minimum. 

Edited by paultdm850, 15 April 2017 - 02:52 pm.

#2 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:53 pm

Just bought these springs and they are shorter, is this correct?

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#3 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:31 pm

Just bought these springs and they are shorter, is this correct?

Don't remember them being significantly shorter, a little maybe. If the part number is correct you should be OK. You can always check the part number here: https://www.oemmotor...YA-TDM-850-2_ao

#4 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:33 pm

Don't remember them being significantly shorter, a little maybe. If the part number is correct you should be OK. You can always check the part number here: https://www.oemmotor...YA-TDM-850-2_ao

thanks, I fitted them anyway ;) they are 50mm and the originals are 55mm.

the clutch is a lot better as it doesn't take a lot to separate the plates, the bite is lower which is good and feels lighter

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#5 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:36 am

the clutch is a lot better as it doesn't take a lot to separate the plates, the bite is lower which is good and feels lighter

One thing I don't like about my MkI is the lack of gradual engagement of the clutch - seems a bit like on/off. Is that the same on your bike - and how did it change in respect tio controllability ?

Bjørge

#6 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:17 am

One thing I don't like about my MkI is the lack of gradual engagement of the clutch - seems a bit like on/off. Is that the same on your bike - and how did it change in respect tio controllability ?

Its definatly more controllable, a worth while upgrade.

I just put the part number in ebay and got an original set delivered for £16

these are the bikes they are fitted to;

THESE WILL FIT THE FOLLOWING BIKE:

#7 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:50 pm

Are these springs (90501-237L0-00) actually shorter than original ?

Bjørge

#8 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:49 pm

yes, as I stated above

#9 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:43 am

Oh ok, My upgrade was for the Mk2. But it's good to know that it works on the 3VD too.  :good:

#10 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:51 pm

Yes they are 5mm shorter and don't feel any stronger by hand but they instantly cured my clutch slip which was caused by hand made exhaust giving a kick at mid revs when giving it the beans.
I used genuine Yamaha springs

Edited by Apache, 08 July 2017 - 09:55 pm.

#11 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:16 pm

Oh ok, My upgrade was for the Mk2. But it's good to know that it works on the 3VD too.  :good:

Mines a Mk2

#12 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:11 pm

Mines a Mk2

Oh yes, sorry my mistake.

#13 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:05 pm

Yes they are 5mm shorter and don't feel any stronger by hand but they instantly cured my clutch slip which was caused by hand made exhaust giving a kick at mid revs when giving it the beans.

Can we see aforementioned zorst please Apache. X

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#14 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:51 pm

Bjorge did you actually change your clutch springs for those mentioned above, cant stand the mk1 clutch so will address this down the road.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#15 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:50 pm

Bjorge did you actually change your clutch springs for those mentioned above, cant stand the mk1 clutch so will address this down the road.

No, not yet. We're so deep into winter (literally !!!) biking seems unrealistic this year.....

Edited by Bjørge, 06 March 2018 - 12:50 pm.

Bjørge

#16 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 01:32 pm

Ordered new steel/friction plates and a set of these to try pimping my clutch action

Bjørge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users