dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:53 pm

Attached File  20171014_170318.jpg   114.72KB   0 downloads

I want to seperate the carbs to clean em up, the choke slider bar is pretty rough so could benefit with coming off for a polish up, i can see in the Haynes how to seperate the carbs but no mention of the throttle springs, assume i need to undo that screw bang in the middle of the photo as it appears to clamp the throttle for both carbs !! or will they just come apart as the carbs do ?

Edit....gonna dunk em in a hot bath, maybe ultrasonic so need to seperate anyway to remove the plastic housing with the small diaphragm in and then will be putting new Viton seals in from Litetek and any other bit's that need repalcing.....gonna purr like a kitty :) hmmm, might have to get a new exhaust :D

Edited by dablik, 14 October 2017 - 05:59 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#2 Swarf

Swarf

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:40 pm

The screw just sets the balance mate, there's a spring on the other side of the plate which will ping off across the garage when you seperate em.....😂😂
Should just be able to remove the choke slide and undo the two long bolts and then just lever the spring back carefully and pull the carbs apart.

#3 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:52 pm

Well if theirs any pinging off best not to be stood in the garden eh :unsure2:  sounds like i need another pair of hands, so does the choke slide come off 1st then ! take off the circlip i guess,nice one swarf, cheers matey :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:22 pm

Separate em in a plastic bag - retains all the bits 

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:53 pm

Take a few photos afore you split 'em, just to remember the spring locations really.  Thought you were gonna clean 'em before stripping 'em ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:55 pm

Hi dablik

I made the separation of the carburetors on 2/23/2015. I'm not sure, but I think I posted on Carpe.
I took the opportunity to lower the throttle spring pressure.
Prolonged the spring connection bracket, reducing the pressure.
Watch out for SWarf alert - post # 2 - bouncing spring
Do not stay near the garden lawn
Like Studley, I think it would be best to clean them before separating them.
Patience, patience and delicacy are the tools

Attached Files

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#7 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:13 pm

Separate em in a plastic bag - retains all the bits 

Not just a pretty face eh :)

Take a few photos afore you split 'em, just to remember the spring locations really.  Thought you were gonna clean 'em before stripping 'em ?

Done but looks like Sid's got better ones :)

Not just a pretty face eh :)

Done but looks like Sid's got better ones :)

Nice Sid, great photo's, already gave them a clean up on the outside as best as possible but still grimey, think i'll try a hot cook in lemon juice :huh:

Edited by dablik, 14 October 2017 - 10:14 pm.

#8 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:59 pm

Hey dablik!

Esse é o link da postagem no Carpe.

http://www.carpe-tdm...ors#entry311182

Cheers

Edited by Sidarta, 14 October 2017 - 11:00 pm.

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#9 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:52 am

Hey dablik!

Esse é o link da postagem no Carpe.

http://www.carpe-tdm...ors#entry311182

Cheers

Very good Sid, makes more sense to me now, great write up and very helpful :good: may be a few differences as your carbs are 2001 but not by much i would think.

#10 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:59 am

think i'll try a hot cook in lemon juice :huh:[/quote]

Send her round here when you've done with her....

#11 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:12 pm

think i'll try a hot cook in lemon juice :huh:[/quote]

Send her round here when you've done with her....

:lol:  will do, seems a hit and miss method but for the cost i think a nice simmer for 15-20 mins is worth a try, and the brass bits can have a vinegar bath in the wifes ultrasonic.. like to mix the flavours..

#12 aircooled68

aircooled68

RTT11 Wales manager

• 1,581 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:15 pm

Step away from the Carbs cliff..... you know its going to end in tears :P 

202323336-M.jpgpost-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:18 pm

:rotflmmfao:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#14 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:33 pm

Step away from the Carbs cliff..... you know its going to end in tears :P

Fook off and hurry up and buy that big ultrasonic will ya :)

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:25 pm

How d'ya get on splitting the carbs Dabbers ?

#16 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:43 pm

Not split em yet matey, jobs on for tomorrow then a boil, funny you should bring it up though as i was reading through your thread earlier were you mentioned you'd split them, i take it the butterfly shaft wont come out once the springs are off and only if those caps are removed !! wonder why Litetek include those shaft seals if they are so problematic to replace !!

Do the air bleed screws need to come out as well, the ones on the top of the carbs..

#17 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:54 pm

You can leave it until I'm there if ya prefer matey. :)  Not sure you should be boiling them as there are seals around the butterfly shafts.

There are BDST carbs fitted to other bikes that don't have the cap fitted, esp. the 4 pot bikes with 4 carbs.

Butterfly shafts will stay put.  Airbleed screws can stay put, they don't get fuel going through them.  But, you can remove them to check they're not blocked if you're careful.

#18 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:08 pm

Well the idea was to remove the shafts prior to a boil anyhoo.

So if other BDST carbs dont have the cap can only assume it's not crucial, quite a lot of carbs dont have caps from looking around..

Are you saying the shaft does not need removing to replace the seals....!!!

#19 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:21 pm

Ah, you asked if the shafts would come out once the springs are off and I replied shafts will stay put.

Shafts need removing to replace the shaft seals.

I dunno if the caps are crucial or not, some don't have caps because the shafts link up to other carbs.  I suspect the caps protect the seals from the weather and dust/dirt/crapola.

#20 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:10 pm

Righto, gotcha, hmm i'm assuming we can replace the seals as they supply em, daft not to really, needs a bit of investigating ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users