• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 boltonwill

boltonwill

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:19 pm

what do people think about hand guards and where is the best place to get some from either black or gold

#2 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:17 am

Make your own! I'm just researching myself how to do it. Should be fun.
I have read the vstrom ones go well on tdm, I think it only comes in black. Pricey though.

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:20 am

Nothing wrong with them. The ones which poke into the bar ends tens to make the bike a tad wider, but that's only important when filtering during periods of work for Deliveroo ;)

I think the 650 Versys/ V-strom ones fit pretty much straight on, they're a bit ag

I've currently got a pair of these https://www.ebay.co....3.c100642.m3226

The LED is very bright, more like a DRL than a driving lamp, but a bit too bright at night if pointing straight forward, so I'm building a dimmer for night use.

Best thing about handguards (bear in mind I live in Scotland and ride to some remote wet places frequently), is they keep most of the rain from hitting your gloves, and keep chill winds off the back of your hand. I find that when the back of my hand gets cold the rest of my hand shuts down pretty quick.

Edited by fixitsan, 29 January 2018 - 08:21 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#4 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:59 pm

I've currently got a pair of these https://www.ebay.co....3.c100642.m3226

How to these attach to the bars...is the mount on the bar end or via brackets further up the bars?

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:53 pm

Have ya tried searching Will? There's hell uva lot aboot hand guards such as ear http://www.carpe-tdm...l=&fromsearch=1
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:14 pm

How to these attach to the bars...is the mount on the bar end or via brackets further up the bars?

They go in the bar end, actually quite w4eighty so its good that they replace the bar end weight.. A heavy guard usually will not stand up to relentless vibes and shaking which they get, and can rotate downwards slowly. Having said that these ones i have on work well. The in-bar expanding knuckle which holds them is pretty good quality

#7 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:19 pm

They go in the bar end, actually quite w4eighty so its good that they replace the bar end weight.. A heavy guard usually will not stand up to relentless vibes and shaking which they get, and can rotate downwards slowly. Having said that these ones i have on work well. The in-bar expanding knuckle which holds them is pretty good quality

Are you using OE bars, or Renthals.

The Renthal's ID is smaller, so wonder if they would fit..?  Also do the LED postion move with vibration or are they pretty static (like the guards)?

Edited by dmmsta, 29 January 2018 - 03:19 pm.

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:30 pm

Are you using OE bars, or Renthals.

The Renthal's ID is smaller, so wonder if they would fit..?  Also do the LED postion move with vibration or are they pretty static (like the guards)?

Renthals, had them in 756's and now in 791's.

The LED is easily moved by knocking it accidentally, but they don't move of their own accord, there is a central detent which holds them in place, just. I'm actually going to screw a small self tapping screw between the edge of the led module and the guard plastic itself to hold it firm.....then forget about checking i haven't mistakenly knocked them.

Scroll down this page and find the 'Venom' type, I had them fitted to my 850

http://www.bikeitdirect.co.uk/325

.....they also bolt to the inside of the handlebars with a clamp as well as the bar end expanding joint. Cheap and cheerful and never came loose

#9 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:51 pm

Renthals, had them in 756's and now in 791's.

The LED is easily moved by knocking it accidentally, but they don't move of their own accord, there is a central detent which holds them in place, just. I'm actually going to screw a small self tapping screw between the edge of the led module and the guard plastic itself to hold it firm.....then forget about checking i haven't mistakenly knocked them.

Scroll down this page and find the 'Venom' type, I had them fitted to my 850

http://www.bikeitdirect.co.uk/325

.....they also bolt to the inside of the handlebars with a clamp as well as the bar end expanding joint. Cheap and cheerful and never came loose

Cheers matey

I like the idea of the ones with LED, and at that price it's not to painful on the pocket.

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#10 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:13 pm

.....dont know whether these are still available on ebay
but only cost eleven quid, as I recall.....& work absolutely fine (now.....see below)

(Note: they come with an expanding plastic fittings replacing the bar-end weights, which work ok but dont have enough mass to dampen vibes at the hand grips......so I drilled the original steel bar end weights to accept appropriate sized bolts, & made simple brackets to locate onto mirror stems)

......jiff
Attached File  7EFC4C4B-4723-4B5E-8DF2-E2F91C9CB9DE.jpeg   227.2KB   5 downloadsAttached File  007EA01B-363E-46A6-B7E2-71C28F85E3C0.jpeg   67.84KB   3 downloads

#11 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:43 pm

.....dont know whether these are still available on ebay
but only cost eleven quid, as I recall.....& work absolutely fine (now.....see below)

(Note: they come with an expanding plastic fittings replacing the bar-end weights, which work ok but dont have enough mass to dampen vibes at the hand grips......so I drilled the original steel bar end weights to accept appropriate sized bolts, & made simple brackets to locate onto mirror stems)

......jiff
attachicon.gif 7EFC4C4B-4723-4B5E-8DF2-E2F91C9CB9DE.jpegattachicon.gif 007EA01B-363E-46A6-B7E2-71C28F85E3C0.jpeg

I've got a pair of them in the shed, and have a set of weights drilled & tapped ready, but haven't got the bars tapped for the weighs yet.

Having seen the ones FixIt has fitted I may leave them in the shed or offer the out (with weights)...

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#12 Retro

Retro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:21 pm

Barkbuster Storm with the universal single point clamp are very good, if somewhat expensive. I wanted the ability to swap them from bike to bike. I can do this in a couple of minutes

I never ride faster than my angel can fly

#13 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:54 pm

led handguards for £2 on ebay ordered some as standbys couldn't resist at that price

https://www.ebay.co....tm/142676562130

#14 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:21 pm

led handguards for £2 on ebay ordered some as standbys couldn't resist at that price

I got those on mine (fitted by PO) I like the LED as it gets noticed by drivers.
The anoying bit is they turn around the bars easily

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#15 boltonwill

boltonwill

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:54 pm

I got those on mine (fitted by PO) I like the LED as it gets noticed by drivers.

i have just ordered some at that price  it would be rude not to 

#16 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:48 pm

i had a pair of those and they spun around. so i made a small bracket which extends between the mirror mount and the guard.

I think the bar end expansion bolt is the weak link. an ordinary rawlbolt might work better

#17 Swarf

Swarf

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:59 pm

Thanks for the headsup, just ordered some myself!! I'll have a look at this rotation thing when they turn up.

#18 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:34 pm

i have just ordered some at that price  it would be rude not to 

I have too, for my daughters YBR125. 

For £2 you could fill your boots and probably sell them for £10 a pair at an autojumble !

Still, half expecting the sale to get cancelled and finding out the actually meant to list at £20 per pair

#19 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:38 pm

got an email saying dispatched 

#20 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:13 pm

The only problem i remember with this type of handguard, is that the clear plastic cover in front of the leds doesn't seal well with the ABS plastic surround , water gets in, and the led pcb corrodes.....Might be an idea to do some dismantling and sealing before fitting

I tried retrofitting mine once with full colour leds......

Edited by fixitsan, 04 February 2018 - 05:32 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users