drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:42 pm

Hi Folks,

tried searching and can't seem to find the answer.

what size tyre should I use for my 17" front wheel?  this is for 1996 850

the standard thunder race fitment is 120/70 and standard 18" size is 110/80

thank you

Drewps

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:06 pm

My Saturno runs 110/70 front and 140/70 rear standard - I have 120/70 & 160/60 instead and they work great for me

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:56 pm

thanks, very helpful.

anyone have info regarding TDM's?

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#4 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:36 pm

I thought your q was about compatible tyre sizes/profiles which handle well - my mistake

#5 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:33 am

I thought your q was about compatible tyre sizes/profiles which handle well - my mistake

Your info was valid. It's about wheels and tyre profile. What difference does it make which cycle they're on ?

#6 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:21 pm

Thanks for the info, it might handle well on the Saturno, just need to see if it's any different for a TDM?

there may be different steering angles, weight etc etc. that might make a difference

\just seen on faceache that someone has the 120/70 so spot on Favs :badgerrock:

Edited by drewpy, 05 February 2018 - 02:54 pm.

#7 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:06 pm

finished paint the front 17" weekend.

what do you think?

qW13htk.jpg

EsCXwvD.jpg

#8 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:11 pm

Very nice. :good:

#9 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:26 am

Is that a Thunderace wheel ? A direct replacement ?

Doe you need to lower the fender for looks ? 

Bjørge

#10 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:50 pm

Is that a Thunderace wheel ? A direct replacement ?

Doe you need to lower the fender for looks ? 

FJ1200 wheel, front guard will need lowering.

is a direct replacement but someone mentioned that the spacer needs trimming or buy an xs400 spacer so I have that just in case.

#11 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:50 pm

FJ1200 wheel, front guard will need lowering.

is a direct replacement but someone mentioned that the spacer needs trimming or buy an xs400 spacer so I have that just in case.

Thanks ! Will try this year, I guess  :)

Bjørge

#12 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:48 pm

Thanks ! Will try this year, I guess  :)

I'll let you know how I get on, fitting the new R5 tyres on, sucessor to PR4

#13 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:00 pm

well I've finally got the 17" wheel fitted to the TDM.

I had to have another spacer made as the original one was 2mm too small and would have put a side load on the bearing. I also had to purchase a C3 bearing as that was the only size there was that would fit the 17mm axle and the wheel.

Last thing I had to do was put a small washer twixt speedo mech and bearing as the disk alignment was out (talking 1 mm here, and made a big diference)

Got the R5 fitted and took the girl out for a ride, wow much better with handling and feels so different to the 18".

8DBhizI.jpg

aqHcodP.jpg

had to lower the front guard too so use 45mm x m6 stainless screws and about 25mm tubing to lower.

Now there's room for a fork brace :pimp:

Edited by drewpy, 29 March 2018 - 03:00 pm.

#14 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:34 pm

Nice, mk2 is already a sweety around the bends, that's gonna be on rails now drewpy :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#15 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:47 pm

Nice, mk2 is already a sweety around the bends, that's gonna be on rails now drewpy :good:

hopefully, just got the paint the rear wheel and get the rear R5 fitted. tyre guy recommended 36psi front and 42psi rear

#16 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:55 pm

Hm, found 36 on a 17" front on the 9r too much, affected braking to a degree, i found 33psi the sweet spot, worth starting off at 36 anyway, and being a fat pud 42 on the rear is normal for me..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#17 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:49 pm

done 50% of the rear wheel now, not perfect but good for this bike

eG5b0tO.jpg

VNwyUaT.jpg

when I've done the other side, I'll be painting and laquering again. prob double laquer the paint to shrug off the crud

#18 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:01 pm

:cool: what's the grey paint you used drew ! and did you clearcoat on the front, i have a grey can of el grigio which was made up for a past member (Rip Charlie) which is at an end at your grey looks quite similar on the photo..

Nice job btw, that's blingin :cool: :cool:

#19 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:07 pm

Good job Drewpster. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#20 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:34 am

Liking those rims :good: . Future RSI claim?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users