12 replies to this topic

#1 itchyfeet2

itchyfeet2

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 123 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:04 pm

Do you think this split in the inlet rubber from my carb is big enough to cause my poor running?
Bike hard to start, and will stall if not revved. Backfiring etc?

If not, project tdm for sale!!!

Attached Files

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:12 pm

Looks like it seals above that spot?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 itchyfeet2

itchyfeet2

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:18 pm

Yeah, there are two splits, not the best pic I know. The splits don’t go down past the inner seal but if it’s not this I’m stumped. Had carbs open, no probs with float bowl and diaphragms intact. It sounds like air getting in. I’ll have another look at all hoses.

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:42 pm

Worth eliminating whilst ewe in dare.

How's yer carb to hairbox rubbers?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:09 pm

Might be worth removing the clips to see if there are any more cracks in the rubbers. Some crack around the rubber, under the clips.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 itchyfeet2

itchyfeet2

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:44 pm

Thanks guys. Air box rubbers look good but there is a mastic type seal from rubber to air box which has deteriorated.
Under the block to carb rubber clips, there is a lot of hidden cracks. Difficult to say whether they go right through or not.
There are two rubber tubes attached the the inlet stubs. I can’t find any perishing on them though.what about the gaskets themselves between inlet stub and block? If I disturb them I’ll have to change them?

#7 itchyfeet2

itchyfeet2

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:28 pm

There are loads of these cracks but only one rubber has them. I'll get two new ones and give it another go.

oh well another week in the car then! Photos are quite poor really, in real life these cracks are really pronounced

Attached Files

Edited by itchyfeet2, 25 February 2018 - 04:29 pm.

#8 thelodger

thelodger

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:44 pm

Get the bike running at tickover.  Spray the areas where you think the rubbers might be leaking with something like WD40 to see if it makes any difference to the tickover. If it does you clearly have a leak

A typical symptom of airleaks would be a reluctance for the revs to drop quickly after revving from tickover ( bike in neutral) . 

#9 itchyfeet2

itchyfeet2

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:09 pm

Dont think my knuckles to take putting it back together to check. Ill just replace at this point.
Interesting you said revs would hang if an air leak. Mines not doing that, its just hard to start, wont run without stalling if you dont rev it and pops constantly even at tickover. Though that might be an air leak causing that.

#10 thelodger

thelodger

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:14 pm

I don't think an airleak alone would cause all the problems you have described. I think there is something else going on - which sounds carb related to me.

#11 thelodger

thelodger

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:21 pm

I don't know about 850s or their carbs  so I may be talking BS but my experience elsewhere suggests this could be a pilot jet / primary circuit blockage.  Flooding might give some similar symptoms but you haven't described a strong smell of petrol so I ere towards a pilot jet type problem

Edited by thelodger, 26 February 2018 - 12:23 pm.

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:38 pm

Are you using the choke to help start it ?  Also, is the tickover high enough ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#13 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:37 pm

put choke and see if that improves the running. then you know you are weak

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users