• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:07 pm

yeah that sound doable. I might find a temporary garage spot for a week or so.
Just need to get some moneys for the engine.

thanks guys for all your ideas, I'm sure I'll post more questions while swapping the engine. Cheers!

#22 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:36 pm

Yeah blue smoke is oil :(

An engine swap isn't such a big deal to be honest, certainly easier than a strip.

Wouldn't want to do on the road, but if you have a sheltered driveway at least, you should be able to drop the current one out fairly quickly and then get the new one in.

I'd say a weekend for the swap is feasible - lots of tea and biscuits to keep energy levels up, and maybe a day or two pencilled extra to sort any tweaks etc out.

+1

Take lots of photos along the way, to check where every bracket, pipe clamp and wiring harness goes.

Remember that your old engine still has value if there is nothing else wrong with it. You can recoup some of the cost of the replacement engine by selling the old one, with an honest description of course

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#23 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:00 pm

That's two valid points, Fixitsan. Thanks, will do just that.

Thanks

#24 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:59 pm

Sounds to me like you want to keep the bike, hassle one of your mates with a bit more knowledge to help out, you'll manage an engine swap easy, i'm always hassling people for knowledge :D and to make you feel a bit better, myself and aircooled dropped a mk1 engine out of the bike in 15 mins flat, i have a witness  :good: 

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#25 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:35 pm

Sounds to me like you want to keep the bike, hassle one of your mates with a bit more knowledge to help out, you'll manage an engine swap easy, i'm always hassling people for knowledge :D and to make you feel a bit better, myself and aircooled dropped a mk1 engine out of the bike in 15 mins flat, i have a witness  :good:

Yep, my mates won't get away without helping me out. I make awesome saus'n'mash, they won't say no to that..... for a bit of help :)

#26 thelodger

thelodger

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:01 am

Would a replacement engine come with carbs ?   I'm a bit concerned that you could still have a problem if you have to reuse your current carbs.

#27 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:37 pm

My carbs, according to my mechanic, are sound. Have been recalibrated and cleaned and all.. which brings me to a question - I will probably need to recalibrate them again after engine swap, yes?

#28 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:20 pm

You'd need to balance them just in case, but it's not a big deal compared to everything else you've got going on.

#29 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:40 am

Ok, I can deal with it. Thanks

#30 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:39 pm

Have said mechanic have a close look at the emulsion tubes for ovalling. Doesn't take them long to wear and cause rich air/fuel ratios and possible cylinder wear through oil dilution. The one on the left is oval at the top

emulsion_tube_end.jpg

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#31 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:00 pm

Have said mechanic have a close look at the emulsion tubes for ovalling. Doesn't take them long to wear and cause rich air/fuel ratios and possible cylinder wear through oil dilution. The one on the left is oval at the top

emulsion_tube_end.jpg

The emulsion tubes are ok, def not the culprit. But thanks for info, I'm sure this will be good to know in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users