Photo
- - - - -

Finally, Caught The Culprit (Linkage Tdm900)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PeterM91

PeterM91

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:58 am

At first, you guys, thanks for all the information on this wonderful TDM-site :good:

Yesterday I managed to extract the infamous collar. I couldn't have pulled this off without your help.

The bush/collar doesn't look to bad and the needle bearing was still pretty wet with oil or grease, not certain what is is.

Checking the play in the bearing. In the direction of the green arrow: no play al all.

At the end at the shock attachment, just 1mm (3/64 or 0,04 of an inch) play in the direction of the red arrow.

What do you suggest? Is this acceptable play? The seals still fit pretty firm around the bush, so with the grease still in, no water in the bearing so far.

Some tiny marks of the needles on the bush are visible. But no dent is measurable with a micrometer (<0,01mm)

Just grease everything and put it back or renew the collar and bearing?

Attached Files

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:42 am

Think i would personally replace that bush Peter, looks past it's best to me, in my experience any minimal play was taken up after everything was put back together and the rear wheel on.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:39 am

either change it or refit it with the needle roller marks 180 degrees around from where they were before

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#4 PeterM91

PeterM91

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:32 pm

I remembered, I had a new bush for the connection with the dogbones laying somewhere.
Used that to check what a new bush would mean. It turns out the amount of play is definitely caused by the bearing and almost not by the bush.

So, just ordered 2 new needle bearings from boltonbearings. Hope they will do the job :unsure2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users