#1 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:42 pm

As above really. can't Dee side where they should go. They're not the tiny bikevis ones. It's either, engine bars, hang from bottom yoke bolts, engine bar mounts or open to suggestions. Got pics, advice, warnings? Thanks in advance.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:58 pm

What size are they Pete ! i had a pair underneath the headlights on the inside of the fairing if you remember :P they were approx 30mm Dia, any bigger probably best on the engine bars....fork legs might present an issue with wiring up ?

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:29 pm

I'd go with Engine Bars / Bar Mounts.

It will benefit visibility if they are further away from main light.

If you can get them on the bars then you'll have slightly wider light footprint, the "light triangle" has benefits to visibility...

https://motolight.co...angle-of-light/

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:29 pm

Mine came with a long stem ending with a ring with a hole. The lower radiator bolt fits it well.

It depends on the style of lights, if they're intended for bar mounting or not

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:43 pm

Mine came with a long stem ending with a ring with a hole. The lower radiator bolt fits it well.

I believe they're designed to go at the bottom of the mirror stems, but in my case they hit the fairing when turning tightly

It depends on the style of lights, if they're intended for bar mounting or not

If you can get them on the bars then you'll have slightly wider light footprint, the "light triangle" has benefits to visibility...

https://motolight.co...angle-of-light/

The thing I like about my bar mounted lights is that they can be seen 'through' a car I might be following, where the headlight is usually hidden by the same vehicle. Every little helps !

I've been toying with fitting some to the front of the panniers, when viewed at an angle it might look like there is more then one bike coming. But then again, i think you can reach a point where 'every little helps' meets the law of diminishing returns and it makes very little difference

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#6 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:49 pm

DLR only
Close-up

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#7 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:34 pm

What size are they Pete ! i had a pair underneath the headlights on the inside of the fairing if you remember :P they were approx 30mm Dia, any bigger probably best on the engine bars....fork legs might present an issue with wiring up ?

They're 35mm lens 50mm body.They're Safego from amazon. Can't post a link from my phone without revealing my Ann Summers catalogue order history....nothing you havnt seen.
Thanks all for the input, almost certain it'll be engine bar top mount, keeping just inboard of their limit. Thanks especially for the motolight link.....made for interesting reading.

Edited by PICARD, 05 March 2018 - 06:36 pm.

Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#8 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:22 pm

I had mounts made by Rafal at RMG Poland, uses the original engine mounts.

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#9 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:21 pm

I really must go to Specsavers having initially read the topic tile as "Where have you mounted Doris?".

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#10 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:46 pm

I have mine off the lower radiator mounts and previously I have had them on the engine bars.

The reason I like them here is they are then a similar height to car headlights.  The reason this is good is a lot of people have there side mirrors set to pick up other cars rather than bikes, so even in someones peripheral vision the lights are more likely to be picked up in the side mirrors.

I watch people in there cars when I filter and have found with the DRLs on I can see a lot more people check the mirrors than normal as they see the flash of light hit the mirror.  Bunching all the lights around the headlight is good for oncoming visibility but I think that little extra distance helps to make people stop and look more.

#11 Timbo1866

Timbo1866

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:05 pm

Mounted mine under the nose
I knocked up a couple of brackets
Attached File  96628EE4-0A02-48FE-9709-8F0061CDC1CA.jpeg   148.8KB   0 downloads

#12 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:05 pm

I really must go to Specsavers having initially read the topic tile as "Where have you mounted Doris?".

Who's Doris? Am I missing out here?

#13 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:14 pm

I've mounted two under the fairing, fixed to the bottom right and left fairing using  a bolt from the inside of the fairing to mount  them. Also got a pair bolted to my engine bars at the widest point so that the bike looks bigger in the dark. Sorry no piccies phone has died

#14 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:47 pm

They're Safego from amazon  :good: 

#15 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot