• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 7inarow

7inarow

sticking around

• 24 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:37 am

Long story short, thought Ill change oil & filter, do it at 5000 mile intervals regardless.
Anyway first time on this bike, come to refilling and the oil keeps backing up out of filler tube!,!,!, its driving me mad, manage to put 2lts in but its been an epic.
Any ideas for a dim wit cheers Chris

#2 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:54 am

Filling the 9er requires patience. Any attempt to rush it and it'll back up. I change oil annually, which is around 3k. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#3 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:07 pm

You did drain out all the oil? (two drain plugs)

Otherwise, yeah, slow n tedious job.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:49 pm

Needs to be on the side stand also.

Edited by dablik, 12 March 2018 - 02:04 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 7inarow

7inarow

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:43 pm

Cheers guys, did both drain plugs after warming up, didn’t have it on its side stand?
I’ll do that next time, looked like I got all the old oil out.
We’re in the 21st century right? Never had these problems with any of my previous bikes, dirts included.
Anyway thanks for helping a very impatient dim wit, hopefully this might help others.
All done, washed and it’s back in the good books, cheers

#6 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:21 pm

Never had a niner but did a 4tx yesterday. As has been said it needs a very slow pour. My sight glass on both bikes tends to show full after 2 to 2.5 ltrs goes in. I just crank it and watch the tank empty via the sight glass and start with the remainder..hth.

#7 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:44 pm

On the 9r it's fill with 3.5 and crank over then top up and loosen the gallery bolt to check flow, just plonked the 4 litres in one go also many a time.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:05 pm

Cheers guys, did both drain plugs after warming up, didn’t have it on its side stand?
I’ll do that next time, looked like I got all the old oil out.
We’re in the 21st century right? Never had these problems with any of my previous bikes, dirts included.
Anyway thanks for helping a very impatient dim wit, hopefully this might help others.
All done, washed and it’s back in the good books, cheers

Seems you're ahead of our time and ready for this kind of bike : 

0001_113.jpg

top_640.png

#9 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:49 pm

:lol: oh Monsewer you is taking the oui.

#10 cortez

cortez

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:17 am

Needs to be on the side stind also.

This.

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:50 am

Crazy French man. 😀
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#12 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:39 pm

I find using one of those funnels that has a particle filter in the base of the funnel bowl allows you to load ~500ml at a time, and the filter slows the rate to avoid back ups.

Bit like this:
940186.jpg

Mine has a flexi bit so can keep bowl level and spout in the filler tube.

Edited by dmmsta, 13 March 2018 - 12:40 pm.

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#13 7inarow

7inarow

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:32 pm

Cheers dmmsta, quiet like the idea of one of those. On reflection I don’t think I “fully” drained the old oil.
The original level was low hence the kick up the butt to change everything, but I didn’t have nearly 4ltrs of waste?
Oh well live and learn, new bike, new set of quirks.
Cheers

#14 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:36 am

I've a similar funnel with a small handle so that I can use a bungee round the handlebar to keep it upright and not have to hold it in place. Doesn't particularly speed it up but makes it easier.

I find using one of those funnels that has a particle filter in the base of the funnel bowl allows you to load ~500ml at a time, and the filter slows the rate to avoid back ups.

Bit like this:
940186.jpg

Mine has a flexi bit so can keep bowl level and spout in the filler tube.

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users